New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Apr 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #483 of 557
Well, yeah, except that the XM6 isn't mentioned anywhere in that thread, so that doesn't exactly help. The XM5 is mentioned, but that doesn't mean anything. The Fiio E7 works, but the newer Fiio E17 does not, for example...

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #485 of 557
Good point. And one I'm embarassed to admit I didn't think of.
rolleyes.gif
 Thanks!

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #490 of 557
nice to hear good things about this. May get around to buying of these some day... just as soon as I figure out how to use a  external DAC with a Portable DAP e.e

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #491 of 557
Devices like the Fostex HP-P1 or Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo can extract digital data from an ipod and send it to a usb device. Some daps these days (more of the android based ones) are also capable of outputting via usb, but you'll have to look into those separately.

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #492 of 557
I like the Fostex HP-P1 its a portable DAC/AMP all in one. Great build quality and sound. For portability its not as good as a DAP/DAC/AMP combo but its not bad at all. Reasonably priced for what you get too. I paid $649 and I think Amazon now has them for $620.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #493 of 557
Quote:
I like the Fostex HP-P1 its a portable DAC/AMP all in one. Great build quality and sound. For portability its not as good as a DAP/DAC/AMP combo but its not bad at all. Reasonably priced for what you get too. I paid $649 and I think Amazon now has them for $620.

for $600+ I might as well shoot for a Hifiman HM-801, the hm601 cost me $125 used and man it's got an awesome dap and lots of power, the hm 801 HAS to b etter and it can DAC for other devices as well! 

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #494 of 557
This thread seems to have quieted down. I hope it is not due to a lack of interest in the XM6.  I just received one after it took a week to get to San Francisco and another week to navigate our city's distribution center 
frown.gif
.  Too early to give a definitive sonic review, though I will provide my first impressions. I got the XM6 w/ 8741 with both the BUFF634 option and the DoulbeCat AD8397 option. 

First, the pictures do not do the construction justice. The fit and finish are first rate. All edges are nicely beveled and everything is perfectly aligned. Since the mini-jacks in the front have an insulated collar and the hole is precise they have great support not relying solely on the board mounting. The volume control tracks very well all the way down and with its metal shaft has a smooth quality action. Though the manual warns about transients, during power or plugging operations I have yet to experience any of significance through my HD700s. I will be trying others over the next few weeks including my UE Triple-Fi 10e's.

As a USB DAC into my Macbook Pro, all functions work without any setup including the clever joystick. Some had complained about the crossfeed controls lack of knob. By using my finger nail on my thumb against the flat edge, I can make fine adjustments without resorting to tools. With my HD700's there is plenty of gain and I find that the control is in the 9-10 o'clock range in low gain mode. Initial impressions on the tone controls has the bass boost extending into the mid-bass area too much (80-120Hz) which impacts vocals and bloats the bottom end. I am sure some will like this but at this point in my break-in, I don't. The treble control is more subtle and adds a bit of "sparkle" and "air" to the top end but right now I am enjoying the flat setting.

I have done less listening as a standalone amp connected to my Oppo BDP-83SE, but what I have heard so far is very clean and engaging with excellent imaging. In fact it is hard to write this as I am listening and keep getting pulled into the music. While not inexpensive my first impression is that the XM6 is an excellent value considering it sound, features and flexibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back