New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Oct 5, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #451 of 557

Quote:
Apples to oranges to pears?

This is the first I've head of the Dr. Dac Nano though... interesting little device, and it's got the audiophile approved AD8397 in it. Seems comparable to the E10 and uDac2, though no volume control, but optical converter. Hmm.

That's why it pairs well with a portable amp.  I use it with my laptop and my Arrow 12HE 3G.  It's descent on-the-go listening.

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #452 of 557
Well sure, but still not useful for thoes looking for an all-in-one solution.

Comparable alternatives would be an iBasso D12, Leckerton UHA-6, etc.

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #453 of 557
I guess a piece of velcro is so hard to use. 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #454 of 557
I'm not saying they're bad suggestions, but it's like someone saying they're unhappy with an M50 and suggesting a PortaPro. Sure it works, but it's not in the same category.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #455 of 557
Quote:
Mine has a noticeable channel imbalance at lower volumes, which sucks, because my Ultimate Ears UE4 are really sensitive, and I can't turn the volume knob up enough to get past it. I end up having to press the 75 ohm imp switch to get past it into normal listening levels. =/

That is what the 75 ohm switch is for...extra sensitive IEMs.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #456 of 557

Quote:
I'm not saying they're bad suggestions, but it's like someone saying they're unhappy with an M50 and suggesting a PortaPro. Sure it works, but it's not in the same category.

I'm not sure that analogy makes sense since the AD8397 (which is the factory chip for the Dr. DAC Nano) is an upgrade for the XM6.  Not having heard the XM4,5,6 line I cannot necessarily compare, but I would wager a strong guess that the Arrow can hold its own in an amp-to-amp comparison.

Nonetheless, we're getting way off tangent.  Stepped attenuators are great.  I wish more people would use them.  Jan's implementation is genius, and what Burson has done in the full-size amp category is an engineering work of art.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #457 of 557
I'm just saying that this is a thread about the XM6 which is a battery powered dac/amp combo, and here you are suggesting standalone amps and usb powered dac/amps. At least stay within type is all.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #458 of 557
What is Head-Fi, if not a place to offer alternatives to ones technical problems through equipment suggestions?

Don't worry, I won't tarnish your precious thread anymore. 

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #460 of 557
I think everyone else has said this, but it's very much confirmed that the XM6 (and from what I remember of its sound, the XM5) has channel imbalance at low volumes. Use the +75ohm switch - it exists for a reason.

(For the record, I use the switch with my K702s because they're pretty dang sensitive, surprisingly, and I prefer to listen at lower volumes. When I'm using my DT770s though, the +75ohm switch doesn't noticeably alter the sound.)

-- Griffinhart

Quote:
I bought the XM6, fully loaded with extras. He even gave me a red version at my request. It sounded great, but the channels were imbalanced. I think the left was louder than the right. I sent him an email, and I didn't hear back. I emailed again three days later, still nothing. A week later, I sent a final email asking for a refund, and I finally got a response. He said that he was busy, apologized, and asked if he could fix it. By then, I wasn't willing to cooperate any more, I just wanted out.

Buyer beware.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #464 of 557
Yep, two whole threads, and that makes me a stalker.

Friend, if you cant see the humor in the 'Cobra Kai' reference (Armaegis clearly did), then you have bigger problems than stalkers on an internet forum.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #465 of 557
@ estreeter - Remember that you probably need to be at least in your 30's to even get that reference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back