New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Mar 4, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #2,416 of 2,626
Stand by for yet another great opamp combo for the D1! Details will be posted shortly!

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #2,417 of 2,626
I look forward to it.

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #2,419 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I look forward to it.

Here it is!

LR: ISL55002IB
Buffers: THS4032
DAC: LM6172

The sound is superb, an open window to the music. The greatest improvements are the highs...clear, detailed, crisp, with excellent transient response. The great detail does not result in listener fatigue during long listening session. Each instrument seems to have a space around it, and even during complex passages, one can easily identify the various instruments

Soundstage truly extends beyond the confines of one's head, with very accurate and realistic imaging.

I have tried this opamp with several different buffers; the AD8397 had good mid and bottom, but highs were rolled off (believe it or not)
AD8066: very unpleasant highs; they were harsh and overbearing.
LMH6643: smooth, closer soundstage, but not as realistic tonally as the THS4032.

I did not try the LMH6655s, as I sold all but one. I will give them a try when I get some more in.

At first listen, one will likely feel that this combination is quite bright, but I think overall, it is extremely neutral...what is there, you hear.
I have heard nuances in many of my recordings that I had not heard before I happened upon this particular combination of opamps.

I do have another LR opamp that I will be comparing against the ISL 55002 as soon as I get in some more Browndogs, but it will have to be really spectacular to bump the ISL!

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #2,420 of 2,626
Fantastic! I look forward to more impressions. I had to send my D1 back to iBasso for a bit of damage I did. I should have it back in a few days. I am not sure of those opamps what I have. Seems like I have all the older ones we always tried.

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #2,421 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here it is!

I have tried this opamp with several different buffers; the AD8397 had good mid and bottom, but highs were rolled off (believe it or not)

exactly what i got when i pair ad8397 with opa627.. the highs are badly rolled off.. athough ad8397 suppose to sound brighter...

thanks hiflight... u just pumped in more life to D1 opamp rolling.... :)

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #2,422 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fantastic! I look forward to more impressions. I had to send my D1 back to iBasso for a bit of damage I did. I should have it back in a few days. I am not sure of those opamps what I have. Seems like I have all the older ones we always tried.

Did you manage to salvage all those Black Gates and stuff?

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #2,423 of 2,626
Quote:

At first listen, one will likely feel that this combination is quite bright, but I think overall, it is extremely neutral...what is there, you hear.
I have heard nuances in many of my recordings that I had not heard before I happened upon this particular combination of opamps.

That is the same thing that I thought when I heard my Livewires the first time - my eyes were opened, or should I say, ears...
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #2,424 of 2,626
Quote:

Here it is!

LR: ISL55002IB
Buffers: THS4032
DAC: LM6172

The sound is superb, an open window to the music. The greatest improvements are the highs...clear, detailed, crisp, with excellent transient response. The great detail does not result in listener fatigue during long listening session. Each instrument seems to have a space around it, and even during complex passages, one can easily identify the various instruments

Soundstage truly extends beyond the confines of one's head, with very accurate and realistic imaging.

AD8066: very unpleasant highs; they were harsh and overbearing.
LMH6643: smooth, closer soundstage, but not as realistic tonally as the THS4032.

I did not try the LMH6655s, as I sold all but one. I will give them a try when I get some more in.

I do have another LR opamp that I will be comparing against the ISL 55002 as soon as I get in some more Browndogs, but it will have to be really spectacular to bump the ISL!

Hmm...

You're using in the DAC, at 5V or so, the LM6172 that is specified for not under +/- 5V. I wonder how it can even sound good. LT1361 or AD8022 would be much better suited.

And you're using in the buffer an opamp that is not stable at a gain of 1, but only from G=2 and with questionable capacitive load drive. Also, this opamp (THS4032) doesn't work too well with supplies below +/- 5V.

Were it my D1, I'd much rather do something like this: LT1361 (DAC) , ISL55002 (LR) , LMH6655/AD8397 (buffer).

For a unity gain stable opamp in the THS series of Texas opamps, try the THS4052. It has the same good output current, but better capacitive load drive than the 4032.

Mar 5, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #2,427 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting 1st post, familiar writing style.

If you dislike the author, you're always free to remain in ignorance. LOL

Mar 5, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #2,428 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by blues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...

You're using in the DAC, at 5V or so, the LM6172 that is specified for not under +/- 5V. I wonder how it can even sound good. LT1361 or AD8022 would be much better suited.

And you're using in the buffer an opamp that is not stable at a gain of 1, but only from G=2 and with questionable capacitive load drive. Also, this opamp (THS4032) doesn't work too well with supplies below +/- 5V.

Were it my D1, I'd much rather do something like this: LT1361 (DAC) , ISL55002 (LR) , LMH6655/AD8397 (buffer).

For a unity gain stable opamp in the THS series of Texas opamps, try the THS4052. It has the same good output current, but better capacitive load drive than the 4032.

you sound familiar.. :-x

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #2,429 of 2,626
post deleted

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #2,430 of 2,626
I guess I choose to remain ignorant!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back