New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 27, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #1,847 of 2,626
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to find another mini usb cable and try. Its gotten to a point of irritation now. Last night I was really enjoying my music and then I moved a little and my headphone cable kinda tugged on my D1 just a little... then it happened again. The damn thing just froze. The slightest thig triggers it off.
mad.gif

I had to unplug the usb and put it in back again, then restart foobar2k for it to play.
mad.gif
mad.gif

BTW, the green LED is kinda cool when used in the dark because on the front its BLUE, and the back its GREEN. Gives a cool effect. However the green is SLIGHTLY brighter than the blue one. I got my D1 last Friday(last week) in case anyone is wondering.

My D1 has about 100hrs burn in, I LOVE the sound. The separation of instruments and sound-stage are awesome. The only thing driving me mad is the sound cutting off/foobar2k freezing up when the cable gets moved around by just a smidgen.

I have a few more questions and I'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me out here.

1)Am I the only one here besides "Monster_Omelette" who has this problem? I want to find out how common the problem is, if its quite common, then I think there is no point in me sending mine back since there is a high chance the new one will have the same problem too right? I use it on my laptop by my bedside, maybe that's why I notice this problem more. I mean on your desktops, you don't have to move it at all, but my laptop gets moved a little here and there, like repositioning by a foot or two every now and then.
rolleyes.gif

But its not like I'm lifting both my laptop and the ibasso up and shaking ;em to death. The iBasso is on a chair next to my bad, the laptop is on another chair. Both side by side. I hope you get what i mean?
blink.gif

Maybe most of you guys are using it on your desktop, which is why you don't notice this problem?
frown.gif

2)Anyone has any idea why its happening? I mean like is there like the usb input port on the amp like touching any other component? Must I open up the amp to fix this by say, bending some cap or something away from the usb input? I'd really like to know how to fix this besides swapping cables. Its driving me nuts... I just wanna enjoy my music uninterrupted.
frown.gif
frown.gif

For every hour that I listen, the problem is sure to crop up at least once.

3)If all else fails, is this considered as a faulty amp? I wonder if iBasso will swap it for me.
frown.gif

Thanks guys, you've really been helpful.
cool.gif

Sorry about the long and gloomy post, but I just want to get back to uninterrupted audio bliss. I just want to sink into my music and get lost, the iBasso jams up and brings me back to reality....
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

wink.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #1,848 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to find another mini usb cable and try. Its gotten to a point of irritation now. Last night I was really enjoying my music and then I moved a little and my headphone cable kinda tugged on my D1 just a little... then it happened again. The damn thing just froze. The slightest thig triggers it off.
mad.gif

I had to unplug the usb and put it in back again, then restart foobar2k for it to play.
mad.gif
mad.gif

BTW, the green LED is kinda cool when used in the dark because on the front its BLUE, and the back its GREEN. Gives a cool effect. However the green is SLIGHTLY brighter than the blue one. I got my D1 last Friday(last week) in case anyone is wondering.

My D1 has about 100hrs burn in, I LOVE the sound. The separation of instruments and sound-stage are awesome. The only thing driving me mad is the sound cutting off/foobar2k freezing up when the cable gets moved around by just a smidgen.

I have a few more questions and I'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me out here.

1)Am I the only one here besides "Monster_Omelette" who has this problem? I want to find out how common the problem is, if its quite common, then I think there is no point in me sending mine back since there is a high chance the new one will have the same problem too right? I use it on my laptop by my bedside, maybe that's why I notice this problem more. I mean on your desktops, you don't have to move it at all, but my laptop gets moved a little here and there, like repositioning by a foot or two every now and then.
rolleyes.gif

But its not like I'm lifting both my laptop and the ibasso up and shaking ;em to death. The iBasso is on a chair next to my bad, the laptop is on another chair. Both side by side. I hope you get what i mean?
blink.gif

Maybe most of you guys are using it on your desktop, which is why you don't notice this problem?
frown.gif

2)Anyone has any idea why its happening? I mean like is there like the usb input port on the amp like touching any other component? Must I open up the amp to fix this by say, bending some cap or something away from the usb input? I'd really like to know how to fix this besides swapping cables. Its driving me nuts... I just wanna enjoy my music uninterrupted.
frown.gif
frown.gif

For every hour that I listen, the problem is sure to crop up at least once.

3)If all else fails, is this considered as a faulty amp? I wonder if iBasso will swap it for me.
frown.gif

Thanks guys, you've really been helpful.
cool.gif

Sorry about the long and gloomy post, but I just want to get back to uninterrupted audio bliss. I just want to sink into my music and get lost, the iBasso jams up and brings me back to reality....
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

wink.gif

hi, i think i have replied u in lowyat forum, but nvm..here i come again...

i dont face this problem in ibasso as i m using desktop PC, but i do suffered this problem for my zhaolu last times...when just a tiny shack, the indicator will shown "no signal"......i tot it was cable problem so i changed the other cable..it was fine for a fews day..but after that the problem come again...but thing changed when i reformat my pc month later....the thing recovered automaticlly...it have been 1++ month for zhaolu w/o even show the "no signal" indicators...

so i wonder whether is it related to any internal USB settings??
coz after reformat..thing changed
tongue.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #1,849 of 2,626
Well, I'm going to reformat my laptop in mid Nov, I'll see if it solves my problem.
Problem does not seem to happen on my desktop soo far, but then again 95% of my iBasso D1 usage is with my laptop anyway so I need to test it out with my desktop more. My Desktop is using XP pro and Laptop is using XP Home... I wonder if that makes a difference in USB management?

Oct 27, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #1,850 of 2,626
I have had this problem with my Total BitHead twice like I told you before, and they were all used with my laptop, and just like you, I always moved from the desk to my bed with the amp still plugged in. USB cables really aren't built for endurance or movement. I'm actually expecting this cable that came with the D1 just yesterday to start malfunctioning pretty soon, too. I'll just have to buy a new one, then.

Oct 27, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #1,852 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stick a thin layer of blue-tack over the LED. Should calm it right down a notch.
smily_headphones1.gif

Solder a 3k ohm resistor (or thereabouts in value) accross the LED leads behind the front panel.

Oct 27, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #1,853 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had this problem with my Total BitHead twice like I told you before, and they were all used with my laptop, and just like you, I always moved from the desk to my bed with the amp still plugged in. USB cables really aren't built for endurance or movement. I'm actually expecting this cable that came with the D1 just yesterday to start malfunctioning pretty soon, too. I'll just have to buy a new one, then.

Well, I guess its the cable problem then. Funny thing is that the same cable, when used with my desktop doesn't seem to bee soo picky about movement...
confused.gif

Is the usb signal weaker on the laptop or something? Or is the usb priority set lower in windows on laptops or something? Any way to change it?
confused.gif
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stick a thin layer of blue-tack over the LED. Should calm it right down a notch.
smily_headphones1.gif

Or just cut out a small strip from a band aid and stick it there on the LED.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #1,854 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1)Am I the only one here besides "Monster_Omelette" who has this problem? I want to find out how common the problem is, if its quite common, then I think there is no point in me sending mine back since there is a high chance the new one will have the same problem too right?

I had that problem when using the D1 with a cheap micro-usb cable and the laptop in my lap where things move around a bit. With the cable that was supplied with the D1 I got much better results.

I'm now using a sysconcept SPDIF mini to toslink connector cable with my laptop and have no problems at all. If you have a laptop that has optical out I would recommend this instead of the USB. My feeling and experience with micro-usb is that it will never be as good as toslink for connection security. You can improve things with a really good cable, but it will never be really secure.

I think it would have been much better to have a USB B-type connector. It seems to me that iBasso case has enough room, and that would be far more reliable than these micro things - I have never seen one of those that was really secure or jostle resistant on any portable device.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #1,855 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehlarson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had that problem when using the D1 with a cheap micro-usb cable and the laptop in my lap where things move around a bit. With the cable that was supplied with the D1 I got much better results.

I'm now using a sysconnect SPDIF mini to spdif connector cable with my laptop and have no problems at all. If you have a laptop that has optical out I would recommend this instead of the USB. My feeling and experience with micro-usb is that it will never be as good as SPDIF for connection security. You can improve things with a really good cable, but it will never be really secure.

I think it would have been much better to have a B-type connector. It seems to me that iBasso case has enough room, and that would be far more reliable than these micro things - I have never seen one of those that was really secure or jostle resistant on any portable device.

Is SPDIF better sounding? And if I understand it correctly, SPDIF sound quality depends on the quality of the cable, correct?

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #1,856 of 2,626
Quote:

Is SPDIF better sounding? And if I understand it correctly, SPDIF sound quality depends on the quality of the cable, correct?

HiFlight has noted that there is no difference in sound to him. I asked the same question as well, and he recommended me just stay with USB because my laptop doesn't have optical, and it would just be another conenction I would have to buy.

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #1,857 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HiFlight has noted that there is no difference in sound to him. I asked the same question as well, and he recommended me just stay with USB because my laptop doesn't have optical, and it would just be another conenction I would have to buy.

Mmm... but SPDIF uses a mini-to-mini, correct?

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #1,859 of 2,626
I have been experimenting with the D1 and opamps lately, and here are my favorite combos. I look for very deep bass that is hardhitting when it needs to be, and when it hits...it REALLY hits
tongue.gif

AD746 LR Channel
2 AD8397 Buffers
AD8656 DAC

or for a more relaxed sound, but very tubey and engaging:

LTC6241HVCS8 LR
2 AD8397 Buffers
AD746 DAC

I really enjoy the very versatile AD746's. The AD8397's are also a great buffer that packs a lot of power and punch. They are a great opamp in my opinion for good bass. The OPA2132 works wonders as well in my opinion. In my opinion the AD746, AD8397, and even the OPA2132 should at least be in every D1 rollers repertoire.

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #1,860 of 2,626
Quote:

Mmm... but SPDIF uses a mini-to-mini, correct?

This is a good picture of the cable type I am using:

http://www.sysconcept.ca/popup_image.php?pID=68

It is a mini to toslink cable.

Like everyone else here I am very happy with the sysconcept cables. Very much premium quality at a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back