New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 25, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #1,816 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by mapstec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyways, as I have remarked a few times, the D1 does not play nice with the DT880.

Really? Not my case at all. I am listening to Brahms three intermezzi (Lupu) with my older pair at about 11:30 and I love what I am hearing. I think the combination provides a wonderfully clear and dynamic musical experience.

Oct 25, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #1,818 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many different manufactures and styles. I like the simple tin plated type with a finger pressure socket, not the round socket for each leg as the finger type holds up very good and I prefer the sound of the simple tin plated type vs gold.

Could you direct me to the type that iBasso uses directly on their board? I need to recover a little part of the adapter. I do'nt know where to look or what they are called to buy them. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #1,819 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you direct me to the type that iBasso uses directly on their board? I need to recover a little part of the adapter. I do'nt know where to look or what they are called to buy them. Thanks.

I would email iBasso directly. There are many types and manufacturers of dip sockets so determining which one you have can be very difficult, especially if they are Chinese made.

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #1,820 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehlarson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would email iBasso directly. There are many types and manufacturers of dip sockets so determining which one you have can be very difficult, especially if they are Chinese made.

Yes, I e-mailed them, but I'm sure some people on this forum could tell me what they are using, or any that look exactly like the one's iBasso is using.

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #1,821 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I e-mailed them, but I'm sure some people on this forum could tell me what they are using, or any that look exactly like the one's iBasso is using.

I've found the exact same DIP sockets here in Belgium. PM me with your address and I'll drop one in the mail to you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #1,827 of 2,626
I notice improvements at just about 1 hour of burn-in... It doesn't sound as congested anymore. I can't wait to see how it changes in the end.

Oct 26, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #1,828 of 2,626
Just to add... even with very little burn in, I think it sounds better than the Total BitHead I had before in the details department. Soundstage still needs to be developed a bit, though.

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #1,829 of 2,626
Guys, either I have a defective amp or I have found a defect in this amp design.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Can u guys please try this out and see:
When plugged into the usb output of you computer, try to move the mini usb plug on the amp from right to left or up and down a little. When ever the metal part of the plug touches the sides of the casing, my foobar2k/WMP stops playing and sometimes i get an error in Windows XP saying there is something is wrong with the usb audio device... WTH?

ibassofj2.jpg

Its an intermittent problem. Sometimes when i shake it it happens, sometimes it doesn't happen. I found out about this problem because my foobar2k would randomly freeze up when playing, now I know why. I was thinking its an internal problem with the amp, now I know its the usb plug.

When I use this plug:

dsc02676ug2.jpg

The problem is even easier to replicate.
frown.gif

Something is shorting out IMHO...

I'll try it on my desktop later and see. Right now I'm on my laptop. Guys, I'd really appreciate it if you could test it out and see if it happens with yours too or is it just me with a defective amp. Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help.

I love the sound of this amp, I'm just sad this has to happen to me.
frown.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #1,830 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to add... even with very little burn in, I think it sounds better than the Total BitHead I had before in the details department. Soundstage still needs to be developed a bit, though.

If you read the older posts, you will see that it indeed develops over time in the bass, mids, highs, soundstage, and detail. The stock D1 soundstage actually might have gone a bit too far in sounding a little distant after 400 hours, but rolling in an OPA2111 LR opamp, and some AD8397 as buffers made a huge difference.

This weekend I have about 10 other opamps to try (3 for DAC, 5-6 for LR, 2-3 different buffer pairs). I had taken it back to stock to evaluate a couple of amps and a DAC, which I am done doing now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back