New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 26, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #1,831 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, either I have a defective amp or I have found a defect in this amp design.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Can u guys please try this out and see:
When plugged into the usb output of you computer, try to move the mini usb plug on the amp from right to left or up and down a little. When ever the metal part of the plug touches the sides of the casing, my foobar2k/WMP stops playing and sometimes i get an error in Windows XP saying there is something is wrong with the usb audio device... WTH?

ibassofj2.jpg

Its an intermittent problem. Sometimes when i shake it it happens, sometimes it doesn't happen. I found out about this problem because my foobar2k would randomly freeze up when playing, now I know why. I was thinking its an internal problem with the amp, now I know its the usb plug.

When I use this plug:

dsc02676ug2.jpg

The problem is even easier to replicate.
frown.gif

Something is shorting out IMHO...

I'll try it on my desktop later and see. Right now I'm on my laptop. Guys, I'd really appreciate it if you could test it out and see if it happens with yours too or is it just me with a defective amp. Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help.

I love the sound of this amp, I'm just sad this has to happen to me.
frown.gif

Hmmm, I had exactly the same problem you did, except that when I tried different USB cables, it went away; for me, the one they supplied was clearly faulty. However, the fact that the problem gets worse with the other cable is perplexing...

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #1,832 of 2,626
Try a yet another USB cable, wrecked_porsche. I've eaten through 2 USB cables using my Total BitHead in the last year.

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #1,834 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woh, why is your USB link light green? I wish mine was green.

What color is yours? Mine's also green, and I rather find it a little ugly.

Oct 26, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #1,836 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster_Omelette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, I had exactly the same problem you did, except that when I tried different USB cables, it went away; for me, the one they supplied was clearly faulty. However, the fact that the problem gets worse with the other cable is perplexing...

Man, this is not a good showng for the iBasso QC. Even though the unit is priced relatively cheap for its feature set, at least they should make sure it is reliable and works without these quirks. I wonder if they held up this last batch because they received reports of this and are hopefully remedying it.

I also noticed that your optical digital input has the removable protective cover piece instead of the built in protective optical cover jack. Another cost cutting measure there. For a portable design, it should have the automatic protective cover so that we don't lose the little optical cover piece (which always seems to happen to small detachable pieces). :frowning2:

iBasso just replied to my email saying that my iBasso will ship within this week. I don't know how the heck that can happen now that it is Friday night here in USA and in China it is Saturday already. The week is gone and no shipping tracking number from them at all. I am getting impatient and hope that they are fixing these reported bugs in the next batch of units they send out.

Oct 26, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #1,837 of 2,626
Quote:

Mine is blue.

I hope the D1 I get (whenever I get it) has a blue LED light also. I think blue looks alot better and cooler than green or red or white or yellow on electronic gear. They must have run out of blue LED's now too...? Sheesh. QC not too strict at iBasso D1 it seems. LED's should not be such a hard part to obtain... so I doubt it would be that excuse. Poor planning, poor preparation is more likely, it seems. I just hope they learn fast and order larger batches of components to meet supply, now that they know that they have a hot seller.

Oct 27, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #1,840 of 2,626
Quote:

Woh, why is your USB link light green? I wish mine was green.

Hmmmm... I have two D1's - both are blue.

Oct 27, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #1,842 of 2,626
I actually hope my LED ISN'T blue. The blue LEDs are too damn bright. But whatever I get, it doesn't matter, the sweet sound of the D1 is all that's important. At least I hope the sound is sweet, being that I haven't heard it yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #1,845 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerikl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually hope my LED ISN'T blue. The blue LEDs are too damn bright. But whatever I get, it doesn't matter, the sweet sound of the D1 is all that's important. At least I hope the sound is sweet, being that I haven't heard it yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree,, the blue led is really BRIGHT! I wonder if there's a way to tone this down a lil bit... maybe some resistors??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back