New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 27, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #1,861 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been experimenting with the D1 and opamps lately, and here are my favorite combos. I look for very deep bass that is hardhitting when it needs to be, and when it hits...it REALLY hits
tongue.gif

AD746 LR Channel
2 AD8397 Buffers
AD8656 DAC

or for a more relaxed sound, but very tubey and engaging:

LTC6241HVCS8 LR
2 AD8397 Buffers
AD746 DAC

I really enjoy the very versatile AD746's. The AD8397's are also a great buffer that packs a lot of power and punch. They are a great opamp in my opinion for good bass. The OPA2132 works wonders as well in my opinion. In my opinion the AD746, AD8397, and even the OPA2132 should at least be in every D1 rollers repertoire.

That's pretty funny. I just logged on to ask HiFlight a question about

1) those same combos above (I have all those chips).

2) And, I have to decide if I should sub the AD8397 buffers that I was using over to the LME49720 or LMH6643 or just leave the AD8397 as buffers.

3) lastly, I also wondered about the DAC, since I don't have a LT6234 for the DAC like he is using. IF I switch the buffers, should I move the AD8397 into the DAC or will the AD8656 still be the best, or should I move the AD746 to the DAC and use something else for LR

Here is everything I have right now:

TWO EACH OF THESE FOR BUFFERS, OR FOR AMP OR DAC IF NOT IN THE BUFFERS:

AD8397 x2 (high power draw)
LMH6643 x2 (low power draw)
LM4562 x2 (don't know power draw)
LME49720NA x2 (don't know power draw)

I HAVE ONE EACH OF THESE FOR LR OR DAC but DON'T HAVE a 6234:

AD8656 (was told DAC ONLY)
AD746 (don't know power draw)
LTC6241HV (low power draw)
OPA2111 (high power draw)
AD8066/BD (high power draw)

Well Ron? What do you think? I have only tried OPA2111 LR/AD8297x2 BUFFER/AD8656 DAC and was waiting for the rest of my opamps to arrive

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #1,862 of 2,626
Not content to leave well-enough alone, I decided to make some adapters using the Browndog single to dual DIP adapter to mount some of my opamps that I had used in my Xin amps and see if my all-time favorite for my SM-IV, the AD797, sounded as good in my D1.

I bypassed the buffer sockets with plug-in sockets that jumpered the input/outputs of both buffers, rendering them a straight wire. As the AD797 has a pretty good current output and extremely low noise as well as nearly perfect square-wave response, I figured that buffers would only downgrade the sound. I found this to be the case in the D1 as well as in the Xin amp.

It is a very tight fit when putting in the 2-1 adapter for L&R, and requires bending a couple of caps to the side a small amount in order to seat the Browndog.

The resulting sound was certainly worth the effort, as it is even more spectacular in the D1 than in the SM-IV, due to the fact that the D1 seems to be very stable, even with fast opamps. At any rate, the sound is very full and warm, with deep fundemental bass that one can almost feel, especially when running an optical input. Trebles are clean and crisp with no excessive brightness or sibilence. Soundstage is very natural, with instrument placement very solid and stable.

I would say that the SQ is very similar to that experienced with high-end tube amps

Due to space limitations on the 2-1 adapter, it is not possible to use 2 browndog mounted SOIC opamps, however most of the ones I used successfully in the Xin were of DIP configuration.

Rather than solder the opamps into the adapter, I soldered 2 standoff sockets onto the adapter, thereby making it quick and easy to change opamps while leaving the adapter in place.

If one really wanted to use browndog mounted SOIC single-channel opamps, the sockets could be soldered to the adapter at a slight angle, providing a little more room, however I doube that I will be trying too many other opamps, as I really like the sound of the bypassed 797s.

To summarize, if interested in trying this combo, one needs a 2-1 single to dual Browndog adapter (DIP), 4 sockets, 4 jumpers, and 2 AD797 DIP opamps. Soldering the sockets onto the adapter requires soldering 8 small pins that in are close proximity to each other. Solder bridges are NOT good! Once the sockets are done, the rest is quick and easy.

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #1,863 of 2,626
Tempting us solder-newbs with your fabulous accounts of modding journey is evil, HiFlight.

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #1,864 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a very tight fit when putting in the 2-1 adapter for L&R, and requires bending a couple of caps to the side a small amount in order to seat the Browndog.

Is there any reason not to use one of the double-sided SOIC adapters?

http://cimarrontechnology.com/index....PROD&ProdID=24

It looks like they may be a better fit.

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #1,865 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehlarson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any reason not to use one of the double-sided SOIC adapters?

http://cimarrontechnology.com/index....PROD&ProdID=24

It looks like they may be a better fit.

They would be a better fit, but it would necessitate permanently soldering your opamps onto the adapter rather than being able to use it "Plug and Play" as you can on a standard Browndog SOIC>DIP.

I am sure that tilting the sockets a tiny bit outboard when soldering them to the 2>1 adapter would allow them to fit while still allowing them to be used in other locations.

Oct 28, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #1,867 of 2,626
Ron PM'd me about the 2-1 adapter, and I went to ebay and ordered some with two AD797. That looks like the one you want.

I wonder if my Headsix can take a pair of the AD797? I seem to recall the Move uses a pair of 8610, right? Headsix should be similar.

Oct 28, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #1,868 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianomav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the D1 with some earbuds like the pk1? What's your impression?

That's part of my portable rig, I love PK-1 sound signature, floaty & stuff...
D1 with OPA2111,LM4562,AD8656 make my PK1 sound warm, and the soundstage remain... somehow 3D a like, although when compared to Headsix, D1 feel abit distant, in term of soundscape, rather than headsix where you really close to the music. But I like the combination between D1 & PK1.
Hence they got "1" on their last name.

Oct 28, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #1,870 of 2,626
Quote:

Not content to leave well-enough alone, I decided to make some adapters using the Browndog single to dual DIP adapter to mount some of my opamps that I had used in my Xin amps and see if my all-time favorite for my SM-IV, the AD797, sounded as good in my D1.

I bypassed the buffer sockets with plug-in sockets that jumpered the input/outputs of both buffers, rendering them a straight wire. As the AD797 has a pretty good current output and extremely low noise as well as nearly perfect square-wave response, I figured that buffers would only downgrade the sound. I found this to be the case in the D1 as well as in the Xin amp.

The resulting sound was certainly worth the effort, as it is even more spectacular in the D1 than in the SM-IV, due to the fact that the D1 seems to be very stable, even with fast opamps. At any rate, the sound is very full and warm, with deep fundemental bass that one can almost feel, especially when running an optical input. Trebles are clean and crisp with no excessive brightness or sibilence. Soundstage is very natural, with instrument placement very solid and stable.

I would say that the SQ is very similar to that experienced with high-end tube amps

Due to space limitations on the 2-1 adapter, it is not possible to use 2 browndog mounted SOIC opamps, however most of the ones I used successfully in the Xin were of DIP configuration.

Rather than solder the opamps into the adapter, I soldered 2 standoff sockets onto the adapter, thereby making it quick and easy to change opamps while leaving the adapter in place.

If one really wanted to use browndog mounted SOIC single-channel opamps, the sockets could be soldered to the adapter at a slight angle, providing a little more room, however I doube that I will be trying too many other opamps, as I really like the sound of the bypassed 797s.

To summarize, if interested in trying this combo, one needs a 2-1 single to dual Browndog adapter (DIP), 4 sockets, 4 jumpers, and 2 AD747 DIP opamps. Soldering the sockets onto the adapter requires soldering 8 small pins that in are close proximity to each other. Solder bridges are NOT good! Once the sockets are done, the rest is quick and easy.

What a great idea Highflight! I want to try this out too when I get my D1! The bypassing of the buffer stage op amps to reduce component count and less colorations/distortions to be introduced... what a great idea. Worth a try for sure even with some other op amps that can handle high current on their own. Now I have to order some AD797's! and maybe some of those double socket adapters.

Oct 28, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #1,871 of 2,626
Quote:

...bunch of stuff...

I'm pretty sure I have an accurate picture of your description

but a real picture would be a bit more helpful
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #1,872 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpfiguer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Questions for Ron:

Does this dual to 2 single adapter work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Dual-to-Single...QQcmdZViewItem

I bypassed the buffer sockets with plug-in sockets that jumpered the input/outputs of both buffers, rendering them a straight wire. Could you please provide a picture to have a better idea?

Thanks,

I think that will work just fine. It is worded backwards, but still looks like the correct one. 2 singles to 1 dual.

Oct 28, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #1,873 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure I have an accurate picture of your description

but a real picture would be a bit more helpful
wink.gif

Ask and ye shall receive!!! The new adapter:

NewAdapter.jpg

Oct 28, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #1,874 of 2,626
Quote:

They would be a better fit, but it would necessitate permanently soldering your opamps onto the adapter rather than being able to use it "Plug and Play" as you can on a standard Browndog SOIC>DIP.

I am sure that tilting the sockets a tiny bit outboard when soldering them to the 2>1 adapter would allow them to fit while still allowing them to be used in other locations.

This is what I have been doing with my single op amps that needed to be made into duals. It works well. I may go this route with the AD797's more compact.

Highflight, do we only need two AD797 op amps? So it is only one dual op amp you are replacing in the D1? Which one is the L&R op amp from the pictures in post 1? (I don't have my D1 yet). I don't know exactly what the original type op amps are used in the D1 other than the AD823. I am sure the details are scattered across the thread but just too hard to search them all down. Can someone list the original op amp types used in the D1 here again and what role they are doing please?

Oct 28, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #1,875 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by unbiased /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I have been doing with my single op amps that needed to be made into duals. It works well. I may go this route with the AD797's more compact.

Highflight, do we only need two AD797 op amps? So it is only one dual op amp you are replacing in the D1? Which one is the L&R op amp from the pictures in post 1? (I don't have my D1 yet). I don't know exactly what the original type op amps are used in the D1 other than the AD823. I am sure the details are scattered across the thread but just too hard to search them all down. Can someone list the original op amp types used in the D1 here again and what role they are doing please?

Yes, you only need 2 AD797s to replace the AD823 Dual that is standard. The L&R channel socket is the one closest to the right edge of the amplifier. There is a single socket (LR), then 3 caps, then 2 side by side buffer sockets. The DAC socket is furthest to the rear of the amp.

The standard buffers are NE5532s and the DAC is an AD8616.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back