New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 5, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #1,546 of 2,626
I am thinking the main point will be to offer a D1 version (not new model) that uses more expnesive opamps and puts sound quality ahead of all else, and our version that is a balance between battery life and sound and cost.

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #1,547 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking the main point will be to offer a D1 version (not new model) that uses more expnesive opamps and puts sound quality ahead of all else, and our version that is a balance between battery life and sound and cost.

I agree with your statement as iBasso said "...another version of D1 which use different opamps..."
November is just a month away. I will wait. As much as I would like to roll opamps, I would hate to void the warranty.

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #1,548 of 2,626
I assume there will be nothing to keep us from upgrading the opamps to match . . .

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #1,549 of 2,626
They should call it the iBasso D1 Reference. That'll make things confusing.
tongue.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #1,550 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also found a source for the "Solid Tube" WV, which results in a very nicely-balanced tubelike sound. This also sounds great with the LMH6643.

thanXs for all the great info. Would you please be so kind as to provide source for the "Solid Tube". As i'm still new here, please PM if there's a no-no about posting source. Mucho thanXs.

angel

Oct 5, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #1,551 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with your statement as iBasso said "...another version of D1 which use different opamps..."
November is just a month away. I will wait. As much as I would like to roll opamps, I would hate to void the warranty.

Rolling op-amps does not void the iBasso warranty.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #1,552 of 2,626
Well i just cancelled my order to wait for the new ones with the new opamps. They told me it will cost more but they are unable to tell me a price for it since they haven't decided to use which opamps.

I also asked if the current one will still be available when the new one is out and they told me yes it will and that there should be several versions of D1 available at the same.

I also asked about warranty question for opamp rolling and they told me that Opamp rolling will void the warranty, but we still responsible to repair our products. I am not entirely sure what they mean about that.

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #1,553 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also asked about warranty question for opamp rolling and they told me that Opamp rolling will void the warranty, but we still responsible to repair our products. I am not entirely sure what they mean about that.

Hmmm, that's quite a surprise, considering that iBasso seem to encourage op-amp rolling as a feature of the D1.

They should explicitly state their position on their site.

Nonetheless, they seem committed to providing excellent service, so I doubt they're gonna let anyone be left hanging out to dry for rolling a few op-amps.

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #1,554 of 2,626
During some of my correspondence with iBasso regarding their choice of opamps and my experiences with various opamps, they stated that although they were aware that there were opamps that could deliver improved SQ in the D1, they were hampered by cost and availability issues due to their location in China.

Not only did they experience difficulty with the opamps, they had these same issues with other vital components such as capacitors.

Perhaps the new version will be modified to permit the use of single-channel devices, which would offer many additional choices in the selection of usable opamps.

Keep in mind that iBasso must always consider component availability, cost and battery life when selecting devices for any production electronic equipment.

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #1,555 of 2,626
i got a noob question here, as for 6421HV, which one is the top and which one is bottom, coz it doesnot have indicator.....

it stop me for soldering, i mean, whether the text is readable from left, or from right?

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #1,556 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's odd. This is what I got from them a couple weeks ago regarding cap and opamp rolling:

Quote:

Hi, Mike,
The following is our warranty regulation:
This warranty does not apply to the batteries used in the amplifier, and does not apply when failure is due to, accident alteration, water infiltration, modification, unauthorized service, misuse, abuse, use with incompatible accessories or attachments, failure to follow operations, or claim made after the duration of this warranty.

Cap rolling void the D1 warranty, but appropriate opamp rolling wont damage the D1, so wont void the D1 warranty.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

So basically you can roll opamps as much as you want and you wont void the warranty. Although, if you damage the amp due to opamp rolling, that may void the warranty.

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #1,557 of 2,626
There have been considerable posts recently regarding which is the "best" choice of opamp, as well as discussion regarding the possibility of delaying ordering the D1 until iBasso comes out with a "better" or "best" configuration.

That will NEVER happen! It is relatively easy for me to pick 5 or 6 good choices, but even when several of us really "hardcore" rollers get together for a mini-meet, we rarely agree on which sounds "best". My favorite is rarely the same as the others in attendance, and it often results in each individual favoring a different opamp.

It is even more difficult for iBasso to arrive at a configuration that will please everyone, as they have issues such as cost, availability and battery life to consider. They may choose to develop something entirely different, such as an amp that has an exterior power supply, or even a different circuit configuration. They will not, I can say with certainty, find one opamp that will be a magic bullet for everyone!.

Many feel that using different opamps in amplifier will result in coloration of the sound. Technically speaking, perhaps this is correct, but all music is colored to some degree or another by room acoustics, hall size, speakers or headphone characteristics, and even by our own personal physiology among other things.

Everyone has their individual preference for sound quality, such as "punchy" bass, lots of "presence", smoother highs, etc, etc, etc.

These are all simply different shades of coloration, and no one opamp will satisfy everyone, just as no specific brand of source, amp or phones can be called the "best".

I would suggest simply trying several different opamps and see how they sound. It is easy, relatively inexpensive, and one will undoubtedly find a configuration that sounds the BEST to you!

I have tried to suggest, based on many trials and combinations of opamps and benchmarked for sound quality against one of my high-end tube amps, to post a selection of opamps that will perhaps eliminate some trial and error in the selection process. I always consider battery life and reliability along with sound quality, as these are every bit as important as other factors when choosing a possible replacement for the factory defaults.

Please don't ask what is the BEST, because there is not an answer that will suit the tastes of all listeners!!!

Any of the opamps mentioned in previous posts as good swaps are fine choices, but in the end, the "best" choice is what YOU like!!!!

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #1,558 of 2,626
Quote:

There have been considerable posts recently regarding which is the "best" choice of opamp, as well as discussion regarding the possibility of delaying ordering the D1 until iBasso comes out with a "better" or "best" configuration.

That will NEVER happen! It is relatively easy for me to pick 5 or 6 good choices, but even when several of us really "hardcore" rollers get together for a mini-meet, we rarely agree on which sounds "best"...

This concept seems to be easily overlooked around here for reasons I can never understand. Commiserations.

Oct 5, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #1,559 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuheng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got a noob question here, as for 6421HV, which one is the top and which one is bottom, coz it doesnot have indicator.....

it stop me for soldering, i mean, whether the text is readable from left, or from right?

Yuheng...

If you orient the opamp with the printing so it reads from left to right like a book, the #1 pin will be bottom left directly below the number 6, and #8 pin will be top left above the small diamond symbol. Use a magnifier just to make sure you have it oriented correctly.

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #1,560 of 2,626
Quote:

That will NEVER happen! It is relatively easy for me to pick 5 or 6 good choices, but even when several of us really "hardcore" rollers get together for a mini-meet, we rarely agree on which sounds "best". My favorite is rarely the same as the others in attendance, and it often results in each individual favoring a different opamp.

It is even more difficult for iBasso to arrive at a configuration that will please everyone, as they have issues such as cost, availability and battery life to consider. They may choose to develop something entirely different, such as an amp that has an exterior power supply, or even a different circuit configuration. They will not, I can say with certainty, find one opamp that will be a magic bullet for everyone!.

Many feel that using different opamps in amplifier will result in coloration of the sound. Technically speaking, perhaps this is correct, but all music is colored to some degree or another by room acoustics, hall size, speakers or headphone characteristics, and even by our own personal physiology among other things.

Everyone has their individual preference for sound quality, such as "punchy" bass, lots of "presence", smoother highs, etc, etc, etc.

These are all simply different shades of coloration, and no one opamp will satisfy everyone, just as no specific brand of source, amp or phones can be called the "best".

I would suggest simply trying several different opamps and see how they sound. It is easy, relatively inexpensive, and one will undoubtedly find a configuration that sounds the BEST to you!

I have tried to suggest, based on many trials and combinations of opamps and benchmarked for sound quality against one of my high-end tube amps, to post a selection of opamps that will perhaps eliminate some trial and error in the selection process. I always consider battery life and reliability along with sound quality, as these are every bit as important as other factors when choosing a possible replacement for the factory defaults.

Please don't ask what is the BEST, because there is not an answer that will suit the tastes of all listeners!!!

Any of the opamps mentioned in previous posts as good swaps are fine choices, but in the end, the "best" choice is what YOU like!!!!

Very good post Ron.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back