New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 3, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #1,516 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why I don't op-amp roll...

Sorry but I can not agree. If this was the way we thought about everything nothing would ever be done. It was a mistake, heck when anyone of us open an amp we risk loosing one of the screws. Does that mean that we will stop opening the amps to take pictures? No, it means we need to be more careful.

At worst we would have to buy the part we loose or damage. No big deal IMO.

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #1,517 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I do not agree. It can happen to anything that has a removeable item. Ever break a light bulb when trying to unscrew it from the receptical? I have. I have also had problems at times with tube sockets but that is hardly a reason to not change tubes or is there a reason to not change opamps. Ever have a flat tire? No reason not to drive is it?

So we disagree. Chip sockets are nowhere NEAR as durable as tube sockets, IMO. All of the amps I have the tube sockets are mounted such that there isn't anyway to damage them when tube rolling (the Yarland P100 is the only exception I have ever seen). Changing op-amps is far harder than changing tubes.

By the way, all I said is that is why *I* don't op-amp roll. To each his/her own!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #1,518 of 2,626
Can anyone answer my questions instead of debating? :p. I'm curious as to why it only works when I plug the opamp directly into the socket and the left channel cuts out (it was the top left pin, I'm guessing it's part of the left channel) when I plug it in through a Radio Shack socket. Is this something worth getting repaired because it is working fine by my plugging directly into it?

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #1,519 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone answer my questions instead of debating? :p. I'm curious as to why it only works when I plug the opamp directly into the socket and the left channel cuts out (it was the top left pin, I'm guessing it's part of the left channel) when I plug it in through a Radio Shack socket. Is this something worth getting repaired because it is working fine by my plugging directly into it?

Because there is still contact it is just that the leaf that normally rises up from that contact is gone. The legs on the opamp are long enough to complete the circuit.

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #1,520 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So we disagree. Chip sockets are nowhere NEAR as durable as tube sockets, IMO. All of the amps I have the tube sockets are mounted such that there isn't anyway to damage them when tube rolling (the Yarland P100 is the only exception I have ever seen). Changing op-amps is far harder than changing tubes.

By the way, all I said is that is why *I* don't op-amp roll. To each his/her own!
smily_headphones1.gif

I have pulled thousands of opamps and have never had this happen. I don't find them any more or less durable than tube sockets. I have had tube sockets come apart though and I have had to repair or replace them. You ought to see the ones from the 1920's, they are scary.

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #1,521 of 2,626
It is hard to imagine the leg coming out of the soldered base socket, considering the hard solder used in the D1. Perhaps it was part of the extended adapter that is used by iBasso rather than part of the base socket.

One should not need to pry hard at all to remove any of the socketed opamps.

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #1,522 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is hard to imagine the leg coming out of the soldered base socket, considering the hard solder used in the D1. Perhaps it was part of the extended adapter that is used by iBasso rather than part of the base socket.

One should not need to pry hard at all to remove any of the socketed opamps.

Hm. It was a tiny gold piece. If you look at the socket there is a silver outer ring and a golden inner ring. The gold piece is what came out. It didn't come off the circuit board.

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #1,523 of 2,626
Look at the close-up on page one. You can see the gold inner connector. that is what came out.

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #1,524 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at the close-up on page one. You can see the gold inner connector. that is what came out.

Yes, jamato is exactly right. Do you think it's worth getting fixed or will it be fine if I just plug in the opamps directly. Also, the brown dog adapters have long enough legs right?

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #1,525 of 2,626
Quote:

Yes, jamato is exactly right. Do you think it's worth getting fixed or will it be fine if I just plug in the opamps directly. Also, the brown dog adapters have long enough legs right?

The legs on the Browndogs are longer than the legs on the RS socket. You should be able to make good enough contact by just fully inserting the browndog into the base socket. If it sounds OK you are good to go, and I would not worry about trying to repair it. The RS socket is only used for convenience in removing and reinstalling the buffers, but necessary only for the DAC replacement opamp.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #1,526 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The legs on the Browndogs are longer than the legs on the RS socket. You should be able to make good enough contact by just fully inserting the browndog into the base socket. If it sounds OK you are good to go, and I would not worry about trying to repair it. The RS socket is only used for convenience in removing and reinstalling the buffers, but necessary only for the DAC replacement opamp.

Thanks Ron

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #1,527 of 2,626
Quote:

Is it going to be stationary or portable while powered on? If portable I'd get it fixed rather than risk jostling causing arcing (even at the low voltages these run on). But then again, I'm paranoid that way.

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #1,528 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it going to be stationary or portable while powered on? If portable I'd get it fixed rather than risk jostling causing arcing (even at the low voltages these run on). But then again, I'm paranoid that way.

It'll be stationary. I'm not going to be bringing it around. Why would it cause arcing?

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #1,529 of 2,626
Quote:

It'll be stationary. I'm not going to be bringing it around. Why would it cause arcing?

If the amp moves (jarred, falls off shelf) when powered on and the pin is not firmly attached, it can break connection with a small air gap. Even small voltages can cause an arc over the air. Opamps, etc. can get destroyed by small arcs. There's a reason the manufacturers put them in those antistatic bags/tubes, recommend precautions, etc.

Some may say this will never happen, and they may be right. No one but yourself has seen the connection quality of that pin, so it may be good enough, or you may be lucky for a very short time. You met Mr. Murphy once, are you looking forward to saying hello again?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #1,530 of 2,626
Where do you guys order the opamps? And which require soldering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back