New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 6, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #1,561 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yuheng...

If you orient the opamp with the printing so it reads from left to right like a book, the #1 pin will be bottom left directly below the number 6, and #8 pin will be top left above the small diamond symbol. Use a magnifier just to make sure you have it oriented correctly.

thanks a lot dude, i think i got what ur point, thks
cool.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #1,562 of 2,626
Oct 6, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #1,563 of 2,626
I've just sent and e-mail to iBasso asking them about the new version of the iBasso D1, and they reply within an hour!!!

Here's what they said:
Quote:

Hi, Sir,
Thank you for your concern.
Since we cant find better caps in the market so far, we would only change the opamps on the new version of D1. Also, we will only supply upgrade kit to our dealers if their customers wanted.
If you have any further questions, just feel free to let me know.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio"

To yuheng:Maybe they'll send you the upgrade kit they're talking about, wonder what it is....
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #1,564 of 2,626
Either the ADA4841-2 or LTC6241HV as LR with LMH6643 as buffers.

All 3 are only available in the SOIC configuration and need to be soldered onto adapters.

Oct 6, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #1,565 of 2,626
Quote:

All 3 are only available in the SOIC configuration and need to be soldered onto adapters.

Ron, I have the LMH6643, please save for me the ADA4841-2 and LTC6241HV. Thanks.

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #1,566 of 2,626
Quote:

So how does this stack up against some of the better amps you have heard with the latest opamps in the D1?

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #1,567 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how does this stack up against some of the better amps you have heard with the latest opamps in the D1?

I like it better than my Reference, I think it has a cleaner, more detailed soundstage. I like it better than the SR-71. It is closer than one would imagine to my tube amps. In all fairness to the Reference and SR71, I think part of the improvement is a result of the Blackgate coupling caps.

I have yet to try the LMH6643 in the DAC socket, but I am anticipating that based on its slew rate and power output along with some other specs, it should sound very good. I need to mount another 6643 first, as my only 2 already mounted are being used as buffers.

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #1,569 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just found out about this amp/dac
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229781

interesting. I didn't know the d1 played off this amp (basically an updated version?)

I wonder how similar the circuits were?

iBasso made some comments on their web site that the D1 is a complete redesign.

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #1,570 of 2,626
Can someone provide a link to instructions on modding the D1 (with all the mods)?
Searching through this gigantic thread I'm still a bit disoriented.

EDIT: Would it be possible for Miguel, Ron, or Jam to start a thread with instructions on modding the D1 with various mods?
It would help reduce confusions as well as guide many of us in the right direction.

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #1,571 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone provide a link to instructions on modding the D1 (with all the mods)?
Searching through this gigantic thread I'm still a bit disoriented.

same here too.. i'm searching for posts on which cap to mod... this is interesting.. :)

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #1,573 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by PPkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ron.... is there a picture of which cap to mod for D1?

Here is a link to an earlier post on this thread that shows the innards of the D1 very well:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...253987&page=15

The caps I changed were the 2 blue ones located between the LR opamp and the buffers. The center one I left unchanged.

This is not a project for those who have not worked with small circuit board projects before. The solder used by iBasso is very hard and takes considerable heat to melt, and is even more difficult to remove the residue from the board without damaging the foil traces. This is necessary to accomplish neatly in order to install the replacement caps.

I do not think the results are worth the risk unless you can acquire the appropriate Blackgate caps and are willing to accept the possibility of damage to the amp when removing and installing the new caps.

Attempt this type of mod at your own risk, as it will void the D1 warranty, whereas swapping out opamps will not The selection of an appropriate combination of opamps will improve the sound of the amp section considerably without the risking damage to the main circuitboard.

Oct 7, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #1,575 of 2,626
The 22uf HiQ should work fine. I used the 47uf HiQ 6.3v per the image on the the first page. I also used two 150uf Oscon caps in the power supply section for the dac opamp and the amp opamp. I also bypassed the 470uf ps cap for the buffers with a 4.7 nonpolar red Black Gate. It can also be seen on the images of the first page.

The sound after doing all of the Black Gate changes and bypassing I did is warmer, very smooth and detailed and more tube like in the complexity of the sound and analog quality. It takes a few hundred hours for the sound to settle and I was not sure, even after years of experience with BG's, where it would fall but the sound is very natural and organic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back