New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Aug 19, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #286 of 2,626
I am not sure I understand the question. The D1 is a dac and an amp that can run from the input to output as a dac/amp. The NE5532 is the output buffer from the amp section. The amp section be run by itself bypassing the dac using a different source or you can use the dac by its self bypassing the internal amplier or the dac with the amp and an all in one unit.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #287 of 2,626
no update for review?

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #288 of 2,626
If I state something it could change because the amp is changing as the caps are forming, dialectic changes and so on.

At this point, with around 56 hours, the sound has smoothed out and the highs are getting better. The sound is becoming more organic and natural. The bass is very tight and a word I like to use when the quality of bass is good, it is tuneful, meaning the bass is not a blob of low frequency but distinct within its range of individual notes.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #289 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I state something it could change because the amp is changing as the caps are forming, dialectic changes and so on.

At this point, with around 56 hours, the sound has smoothed out and the highs are getting better. The sound is becoming more organic and natural. The bass is very tight and a word I like to use when the quality of bass is good, it is tuneful, meaning the bass is not a blob of low frequency but distinct within its range of individual notes.

Is the bass punchy though? I thoroughly enjoy a punchy bass.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #290 of 2,626
I will have to put on some Dire Straits or some Boston. I will look around but in general yes it is punchy but remember the caveat being 56 hours and more time is needed.

Aug 19, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #291 of 2,626
Thanks for all the photos, John!
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like a very tidy job in there with all those goodies packed in. Hard to imagine it being smaller than it already is.

Which screws need to be removed to gain access to the interior?

Do the batteries appear to be user-replaceable?

Can you comment on the overall feel of the volume pot?

Hopefully, my D1 will arrive tomorrow (just tracked it as departing Amsterdam en route to Brussels), barring any kind of hold-up at customs.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #292 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmfboy01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOOKS HOT!
cant wait to get mine! was supposed to come on friday but it was delayed a few days and now i wont get it till late Monday
frown.gif
. but also on monday i should be receiving my Yuin Pk1 & a Corda Move! w00t! i know you peoples are dying to hear a comparison between the two and i may be able to help out. i just dont know where to begin, any suggestions?

If I get a D1 it will be to use with my iRiver H140. The comparison I would like to see would to compare using the source's straight headphone out with source's digital out>D1 DAC>D1 amp, preferably playing FLACs. That would tell me whether the D1 justifies its cost and an increase in box-count over souce alone. Can't this be done with an iPod? Later you could compare the D1 amp with the Move. By then I might have got one and I'll compare the D1 DAC with the Beresford DAC using several amps.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #293 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by DennyL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I get a D1 it will be to use with my iRiver H140. The comparison I would like to see would to compare using the source's straight headphone out with source's digital out>D1 DAC>D1 amp, preferably playing FLACs. That would tell me whether the D1 justifies its cost and an increase in box-count over souce alone. Can't this be done with an iPod?

No digital out on the iPod, unfortunately. But I will definitely be putting the D1 through its paces as a DAC (feeding both my CanAmp & loudspeaker Hi-Fi) and a headphone amp, using both the optical and USB outputs of my MacBook (using Apple Lossless files).

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #294 of 2,626
Does the D1 come with any cables, or would they need to be souced seperately?

I was seriously thinking of picking up the Mini Audio, but then saw this was available
icon10.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #295 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the D1 come with any cables, or would they need to be souced seperately?

I was seriously thinking of picking up the Mini Audio, but then saw this was available
icon10.gif

As it stands currently, the D1 comes with the following for $229:

Quote:

Originally Posted by iBasso website
Comes with: genuine leather case, high quality optical cable, USB cable, coaxial cable, AC adapter (110V~240V)

However, due to popular demand, iBasso is also expected to offer a simple package without the cables for $209.

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #296 of 2,626
^ excellent decision on ibassos' behalf. Lets hope they keep the AC adaptor though. Any idea on if they ship different adaptor plugs according to your location? i.e. UK/European/US/Aus etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back