New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Aug 28, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #616 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And although I had asked yuheng to post his demo impressions here as well as on the Malaysian forum, he has yet to do so, so I hope he won't mind me quoting his early thoughts focusing on the D1's DAC capabilities:

sorry for delay, i was really busy this fews day, thks for helping me quoting on that, i had ordered one D1, wish it come to my house soon. and i read all u guys wrote that D1 modded might on par with XIN, if it is real.....

i will be superly
600smile.gif
etysmile.gif
rs1smile.gif
lambda.gif
280smile.gif
580smile.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #617 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And besides, I'm not at all convinced that power drawn from the turbulent and noisy innards of a computer and then passed along essentially the same cable as the audio signal represents the pinnacle of sound quality potential. Imagine the reception that would likely await a manufacturer introducing such a combined mains-cable / interconnect for the sake of convenience...

You're still living in the analog world...

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #618 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Havent seen much comparison about the DAC part of the D1 against other DAC.

waiting waiting........

I find it really hard to tell the difference between the 2 DACs, as it is not possible to run the Move DAC thru the D1 whereas one can route the D1 DAC output thru the Move.

The differences between them, therefore, are more between amps sections than DAC outputs.

I don't think anyone will be disappointed in the DAC in either amp.

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #619 of 2,626
Ron, do you like the D1's amp more than the Reference?
How long is battery life with the new configuration? And which of the two amps can reach the highest volume?

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #620 of 2,626
Hi Ron,
Where can you source AD 8397? I have an incoming D1 and a noob at this op amp rolling business.

cheers,
jasper

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #621 of 2,626
Seems like the D1 is enticing lotsa folks to try their hand at this whole op amp rolling business.
Including me. :very evil:

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #622 of 2,626
Is there any source for OPA2111? It seems to be out of stock pretty much everywhere.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #623 of 2,626
Could some nice soul do a step by step with pictures of switching the OP amps? I'm sure a lot of us noobs would be greatful. I would also like the source and parts numbers to make sure I'm buying the right things.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #624 of 2,626
And who here even knows what op amps are?
rolleyes.gif

(I don't either.)
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #625 of 2,626
I've been looking for something like the move, but more versatile for quite a while. I've been considering the Apogee Mini-dac, but wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to spend that kind of cheese, and whether or not to get the firewire or USB version.

Now look what you've done. A DAC/AMP _portable_ almost as versatile for 1/4 the cost WITH easy mod capabilities and what looks like very nice build quality.

Looks like a serious winner. I ordered one Sunday. Hope it gets her SOON.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #626 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is clearly superior to the Move in this configuration. Not only in bass, mids, etc, but especially in the 3-dimensional rendering of the soundstage and imaging.

No soldering is necessary unless you wish to change to higher quality capacitors. It only requires that you unscrew 8 hex screws and one phillips screw, then the amp just slides out of the case. The opamps and buffers are right in front of your eyes on the top side of the circuit board.

Rolling opamps ranks about like changing light bulbs in degree of difficulty!

So is soldering necessary or not to use the AD8397 for the buffers?

Corey

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #627 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by nv88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could some nice soul do a step by step with pictures of switching the OP amps? I'm sure a lot of us noobs would be greatful. I would also like the source and parts numbers to make sure I'm buying the right things.

I 2nd that
tongue.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #628 of 2,626
The AD8397 are surface mount devices (smd) in a soic form of chip. They have to be either soldered directly to a printed circuit board (pcb) or to an adapter that will go into a socket on the pcb. The socket takes chips that are in a larger package called a dual in-line package (DIP), but the 8397 only comes in the soic form so you have to solder it to the adapter but they are small and experience in soldering is needed. Brown Dog makes adapters for this purpose.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #629 of 2,626
Does anyone have sonic impressions with Grados? I have (generally) found HD650-synnergetic amps to sound terrible with the RS1.

What is the amp gain? Is it low enough for low impedance IEMs?

thanks in advance
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back