New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Aug 28, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #601 of 2,626
Yes, the D1 with dual AD8397s in the buffer slots is a superb performer. I am using the OPA2111 in the LR opamp socket. I tried the AD8066, AD8599, OPA2134, AD8620, LM4562, OP275 as well as the OPA2111. I liked the 2111 best, but all were quite close, with most of the differences being in how the soundstage was presented.

To make it easier to remove the Ad8397 buffers, considering the limited space to grab them, I put a loop of thin nylon thread around them. I can now easily lift them out by locking onto the thread loop with my forceps.

Comparing the D1 to my Move, it clearly sounds much more 3-dimensional, with even better bass than the Move. Very impressive.

Surprisingly, I doubt that I could reliably and consistantly identify when comparing the modified D1 (in the OPA2111 / 2x AD8397 confituration) and my Reference, if it was a blind comparison with equal inputs.

Currently, I would rank my D1 to be about the equal of any amp I have heard. Considering all of the input/output options, and the ability to so effectively tailor the sound signature, this amp is truly a remarkable instrument!

With the above configuration, the current draw thru the new devices is about 38ma compared to the stock setup which draws approx 27 ma.

I am not sure how this will affect the battery life when using the amp section. It will probably decrease it some, but after all my testing, it only took about 45 minutes to recharge to the green light.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #602 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa, stop the presses! HiFlight just put some AD8397's in the two buffer positions and liked the sound, to put it mildly. So I soldered up one more 8397 and went for it. Yikes! This ain't your run of the mill good or great amp this is a GREAT AMP! Dynamics, bass slammm, contrasts, depth, width and this is with my ipod earbuds (just kidding on the ipods). With the PortaPros, they are dimensional, open and beautiful sounding, with the HD650, they become the HD700's :^). This is an easy swap, as long as you have the 8397 to plug in but you will be carrying around a home amp/dac in your large pocket. So what I am using is a AD8066 for the opamp section to two 8397's, which is like running mono blocks to your headphones (well sort of).

Are you saying that in this config it even beats the Xin Refernce ?

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #603 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ugh this sucks that I don't know how to do any of this DIY amp rolling stuff.

We all start somewhere. It isn't hard. All you do is open the amp up, look around, become familiar with it notice that the opamps have a notch that corresponds with a notch in the socket and pull the opamps and replace them.

The 8397's are soic and have to be soldered to adapter boards so there is some soldering that takes some skill.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #604 of 2,626
Quote:

We all start somewhere. It isn't hard. All you do is open the amp up, look around, become familiar with it notice that the opamps have a notch that corresponds with a notch in the socket and pull the opamps and replace them.

You said you had to solder something.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #605 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the D1 with dual AD8397s in the buffer slots is a superb performer. I am using the OPA2111 in the LR opamp socket. I tried the AD8066, AD8599, OPA2134, AD8620, LM4562, OP275 as well as the OPA2111. I liked the 2111 best, but all were quite close, with most of the differences being in how the soundstage was presented.

Comparing the D1 to my Move, it clearly sounds much more 3-dimensional, with even better bass than the Move. Very impressive.

Surprisingly, I doubt that I could reliably and consistantly identify when comparing the modified D1 (in the OPA2111 / 2x AD8397 confituration) and my Reference, if it was a blind comparison with equal inputs.

Currently, I would rank my D1 to be about the equal of any amp I have heard. Considering all of the input/output options, and the ability to so effectively tailor the sound signature, this amp is truly a remarkable instrument!

With the above configuration, the current draw thru the new devices is about 38ma compared to the stock setup which draws approx 27 ma.

I am not sure how this will affect the battery life when using the amp section. It will probably decrease it some, but after all my testing, it only took about 45 minutes to recharge to the green light.

Hi-Flight, how is this compared to the MOVE now bass oomph, mids, everything.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #606 of 2,626
Quote:

Hi-Flight, how is this compared to the MOVE now bass oomph, mids, everything.

It is clearly superior to the Move in this configuration. Not only in bass, mids, etc, but especially in the 3-dimensional rendering of the soundstage and imaging.

No soldering is necessary unless you wish to change to higher quality capacitors. It only requires that you unscrew 8 hex screws and one phillips screw, then the amp just slides out of the case. The opamps and buffers are right in front of your eyes on the top side of the circuit board.

Rolling opamps ranks about like changing light bulbs in degree of difficulty!

Aug 28, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #607 of 2,626
Quote:

It is clearly superior to the Move in this configuration. Not only in bass, mids, etc, but especially in the 3-dimensional rendering of the soundstage and imaging.

No soldering is necessary unless you wish to change to higher quality capacitors. It only requires that you unscrew 8 hex screws and one phillips screw, then the amp just slides out of the case. The opamps and buffers are right in front of your eyes on the top side of the circuit board.

Rolling opamps ranks about like changing light bulbs in degree of difficulty!

How do the buffers slide out? And is the bass punchier? I know better bass doesn't exactly mean punchier. Also, if you use the OPA2111, you just slide it into place after pulling out the original opamp right?

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #610 of 2,626
Just pulled the trigger on this
smily_headphones1.gif
. It sounds like the "combo-box that could".
biggrin.gif

[Work PC | Laptop | PS3 | PCDP | Cowon D2]
-> iBasso D1 -> [LD MKIII] -> [k501s | um2s | crossroad X3s | bamboos]

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #611 of 2,626
Quote:

Why not the MOVE? lol

Cause I only want a decent DAC right now
cool.gif

I can see you WTB a MOVE, maybe its time for you to reconsider after reading this thread
wink.gif
With some easy opamp rolling, you got yourself a MOVE + a better DAC

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #612 of 2,626
Quote:

Whoa, stop the presses! HiFlight just put some AD8397's in the two buffer positions and liked the sound, to put it mildly. So I soldered up one more 8397 and went for it. Yikes! This ain't your run of the mill good or great amp this is a GREAT AMP! Dynamics, bass slammm, contrasts, depth, width and this is with my ipod earbuds (just kidding on the ipods). With the PortaPros, they are dimensional, open and beautiful sounding, with the HD650, they become the HD700's :^). This is an easy swap, as long as you have the 8397 to plug in but you will be carrying around a home amp/dac in your large pocket. So what I am using is a AD8066 for the opamp section to two 8397's, which is like running mono blocks to your headphones (well sort of).

Quote:

Wowzer, terribly exciting developments, I'd say, thanks and congrats! Can't wait to give the newly christened HiFlight D1™ a whirl!
icon10.gif

Now, to source all them op-amps...
blink.gif

Quote:

Why not the MOVE? lol

Been thinking more about this one, since I've got nothing better to do, lol...

It's interesting to note that some folks have criticized the D1 for not being able to be powered via USB. Sure, it may represent a slight loss of convenience for some, but with 20 hours of playtime with the on-board batteries, the iBasso should outlast most notebooks a couple times over and perhaps then some.

And besides, I'm not at all convinced that power drawn from the turbulent and noisy innards of a computer and then passed along essentially the same cable as the audio signal represents the pinnacle of sound quality potential. Imagine the reception that would likely await a manufacturer introducing such a combined mains-cable / interconnect for the sake of convenience...

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #613 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been thinking more about this one, since I've got nothing better to do, lol...

It's interesting to note that some folks have criticized the D1 for not being able to be powered via USB. Sure, it may represent a slight loss of convenience for some, but with 20 hours of playtime with the on-board batteries, the iBasso should outlast most notebooks a couple times over and perhaps then some.

And besides, I'm not at all convinced that power drawn from the turbulent and noisy innards of a computer and then passed along essentially the same cable as the audio signal represents the pinnacle of sound quality potential. Imagine the reception that would likely await a manufacturer introducing such a combined mains-cable / interconnect for the sake of convenience...

but until you're able to hear it for yourself, it's pure speculation.....
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back