New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Aug 28, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #646 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the D1's bass end to be a little too pronounced. I like bass but it can't overpower the mids/highs. The D1 bass overpowers the midrange. For that matter, the move is more musical/fluid than the Hornet M too to give you a frame of reference.

Actually, the D1 DAC is very nice for some genres (jazz) but I don't like how it puts you back in the 5th row on rock tracks vs the move. The move has you right up front and coupled with its fluidity, it just sounds better to my ears.

What headphones were these impressions made with? With this signature, it might make a good budget RS1 amp-DAC combo. It might also help to warm/open up a bright IEM.

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #647 of 2,626
How would the D1 sound with just an OPA2111 in place of the AD823 and no changes to the buffers? That way later when I can find some one to solder the AD8397s to the adapters for me I will be set.

Corey

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #648 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphones were these impressions made with? With this signature, it might make a good budget RS1 amp-DAC combo. It might also help to warm/open up a bright IEM.

I did my listening last night with Ultrasone Edition 9s. Someone asked me out of the blue to compare them and its all I had handy at the time. If you are curious I could duplicate with HD650s, proline 750s, shure se530 iems, and if you can wait a week for me to receive them, AKG 701s.

Aug 28, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #649 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer010gic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would the D1 sound with just an OPA2111 in place of the AD823 and no changes to the buffers? That way later when I can find some one to solder the AD8397s to the adapters for me I will be set.

Corey

I will do the adapters for you. PM me if you are interested.

Aug 28, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #650 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The headphones I used to evaluate the 2111/8397 combo was:
Circumaural:
HD650/Revelation
AKG 701
Sony F1

IEM:
Atrio M-5
PK-1

They all sounded quite good. My least favorite is the AKG 701. It, to me just doesn't sound as lifelike as the others. I can't really put my finger on why, but all the others sound better to me. The sense of realism is just not there.

BTW, this is not just with the D1, but with my other amps as well.
Once again, there are no absolutes, just personal preferences!

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #651 of 2,626
You can do the soldering like this. And you can do it as many times as you want to make sure that there is no shortcut and you haven't melted the whole thing into a toast. When done, plug in.

But does anyone know a source of opa2111, esp. with no more than 5 min. order (preferably 1), since this is not the cheapest IC ever?

There was some nagging about it not being strong enough... can it drive a 250Ohm or 600Ohm (yes... BD) can decently?

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #652 of 2,626
That is great as long as he pins are not larger than the normal opamp pins or you might spring the contacts in the socket too much and they will be loose for a normal opamp, which has thin pins.

It also looks easer to solder than a normal adapter but you have to be careful when you bend the legs on the opamp or you can break them so go slowly.

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #653 of 2,626
I do agree with itsbroken, for me the Move is better than the stock D1. The overall sound is more fluid with the Move and the sense of harmony of the music is very well preserved.

And yes if some opamps are bettering the D1 to the level of the Move, I'd love to know which one and then some good man to make a noob amp roll thread with these for me...
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #654 of 2,626
How many hours are on the D1 and what type of source?

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #656 of 2,626
I received my D1 yesterday and it's been burning ever since. Of course, I took quick listen here and there and so far it is sounding very good right out of box. I was thinking about purchasing MOVE also just to check it out but once how versatile D1 is, I had to check it out myself. Most likely this little gem will be my office rig for now if I continue to like its sound signature. Once it is probably burnt-in, I like to compare to my Microstack sometime in the future. Although Microstack can run on batteries, I was using them as my desktop usage due to its relatively short battery life before needs recharging. It looks like D1 might be fit the bill nicely where Microstack was lacking (battery life that is). Plus I have bunch of opamps to roll in the near future while waiting for my Supermacro IV and Reference. As I typing this message, Michael Buble is singing beautifully.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #657 of 2,626
The opamp that comes with the D1, the AD823 is a pretty good but some don't like the highs as much, feeling they are a little agressive and others like it. I like the 8066 as I found the sound more to my liking with smoother highs and imo, better integration of the frequency range. I do notice that the D1 with the 8066 as the opamp and the AD8397 as buffers that the sound is very detailed and solid. The sound is closer (more like the 2nd row) than with my Reference and Monica II dac that give me a larger stage and decay. Both units are enjoyable. For me the Reference and Monica are reference and in a high end home system (mine is in storage), Monica II does an excellent job as a dac.

I notice a slight improvement in sound when running on batteries vs wall wart for the D1.

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #658 of 2,626
Thanks John,

I am happy to hear that the rolling does correct the two aspects I don't like with the D1 at the moment: aggressive highs and overall fluidity of the music (when compared to the Move). It looks like I am on the road for rolling...

Do you know where I could find a thread with a couple of picture that does explain how to roll amps? I can give it a go myself but having a tutorial would be brilliant to avoid doing something stupid (and I assume there's no soldering involved?)

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #659 of 2,626
I will have to look around. Once you see it you will realize how simple it is. Just gently pull one opamp out and make sure the pins match up (not too wide or narrow) to the socket and push in the new opamp. Opamps normally have a little spot or round shiny area to indicate pin one. There is a notch on the socket and the little indicator on the opamp goes toward that notch. You will see the notch at one end of the socket once you pull the opamp. Notice the orientation on this photograph of the D1 board.

Opamps-and-buffersD1.jpg

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #660 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did my listening last night with Ultrasone Edition 9s. Someone asked me out of the blue to compare them and its all I had handy at the time. If you are curious I could duplicate with HD650s, proline 750s, shure se530 iems, and if you can wait a week for me to receive them, AKG 701s.

Could you please do a comparison MOVE / D1 using the HD650?

I just ordered a D1 assuming it's quite a good match with the HD650 ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back