[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Sep 2, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #2,581 of 5,962
Sep 2, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #2,582 of 5,962
Quote:
oG9LnQE.png

As we use to say in Italy... I've lost the train.
frown.gif

I hope it will get back to 100 € so I can do an A/B test alongside my X1.

Cazzo! Almost double at Amazon.it... what a shame. 
frown.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2,584 of 5,962
Not sure why but the X1 prices are spiking back up on Amazon and Ebay.  It is possible that Philips realized that they have a product superior to the price point and are no longer discounting it as much.  But regardless, the price is going back up so you might want to grab it if you find a good sale.

UL

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #2,586 of 5,962
Sep 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #2,587 of 5,962
loving these so far coming from the ath M50's. Just starting my head fi journey and bought them based on this thread and others, thanks guys!

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #2,589 of 5,962
Hello, my x1 arrived today. A bit more expensive then i had hoped (eur230). At this time i only have an iphone 4 with spotify to try it with, i am still thinking about a source for these. I have discovered that in general i prefer listening to headphones over speakers. I like the x1 comfort build quality and sound, in general. But the midrange/vocals often seem a bit lost in the mix. Although wish some songs for example Ella Fitzgerald or passenger they sound relaly good. Also some tones seem a bit congested but that might be fixable with a better cable or source. Greetings, Anouk,

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #2,590 of 5,962
[size=small]How are they for a large head? I measured my head for a cap size and it was like 24 inches or something :frowning2:[/size]

I've had the X1s since the launch and I've had a large head since Day One. I still have on both counts.

Somewhere in the earlier part of this thread (can't remember exactly when) I posted on how to fit for large heads. Essentially as per Tyll's suggestion, bend the upper band to be more conical in shape and for me, I cut away the elastic strap that hold the lower headband onto the ear cups. Drastic I know but it's oh so comfortable now.

I had also removed the ear pads just to see how I can use alternative ones in future. Also somewhere earlier in this thread. In short, it can be done.

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #2,591 of 5,962
Quote:
I've been using new cables for the X1 from Forza Audioworks (http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=34) for the past couple of weeks.  Production and delivery from Poland to the U.S. was very fast and should in no way be a deterrent to buying.  Matthew from Forza was great and promptly responded to all my questions.  

Very high build quality.  Looks as nice as the stock cable but the bass sounds crisper and less bloaty as should be expected from low resistance cables.  There is a small amount of microphonics when the cable rubs against itself -- more than the stock cables but not as bad as I've experienced with other third party cloth-sleeved cables like Auvio.  Cable is also very pliable.

I got the version with the right angle plug.  Although not shown in the pictures, lately I've been connecting the right angle plug to the headphone to avoid having the plug sticking out of the headphone so much and sometimes touching my shoulder when I turn my head.

I'm happy to say I'm done with my cable quest (tried stock cable, Mediabridge, Auvio (Radioshack) and Belkin).  Granted, the Forza's are pricier than the cables being sold at Amazon or Radioshack that we've all been talking about but I'll say they're well worth the money.  Highly recommended!

Did you hear any difference between all the cables you have tried?

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #2,592 of 5,962

Did you hear any difference between all the cables you have tried?

In all honesty, the one comparison I can give with any measure of confidence is with respect to the stock cable vs. all the rest.  The stock cable sounds a bit warmer and the bass a bit looser/bloaty than the other cables.  Between the rest of the cables, I would say the Mediabridge and the Forza Audioworks cables are about on par and the brighter and crisper ones of the bunch that I tried.

For me, it boiled down to aesthetics.  The Mediabridge cables sounded fine and are a great value but their looks didn't do the X1s justice.  

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #2,593 of 5,962
Just curious, has anyone used a V-Moda audio only cable with the X-1's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back