[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Aug 4, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #2,266 of 5,962
Mad, yea I was replying to your comment about not starting rumors. Sorry if it didnt make much sense lol. I totally agree is what im sayin...

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #2,267 of 5,962
Quote:
The differences are very real? I never said they weren't.

What I WAS saying was that there is NO proof that it wasn't just a gross variation of the drivers (which can and does happen in the headphone world). But here you are starting off rumors of a 'TWEAK'.

Again, people shouldn't start spreading rumors of a tweak, when it could have easily been driver variation. Unless Philips/Funai states to themselves that there was a tweak somewhere, it's all hearsay.

People may start some Fidelio X1 v.2 nonsense, based off this. Pretty soon, people would probably start saying they got a fixed X1, etc. All based on one person's claims.

rolleyes.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2250#post_9675281

I have owned over 100 headphones and probably 30 headphones in more than 1 pair, some even 3 and i never experienced anything close to even 3dB in model variation. Extreeeeeeeeemly unlikely that Philips has such a ****ty QC. Not even Superlux does that. And there's already 2 pairs like this.

There is actually a reason  companies print "For product improvement, this product is subject to modification without notice." on the box of their products and tweaking a headphone isn't such a big deal as people think even if AKG tries to make it one with their insane K701 based product line. 

What people do with this Information, i don't care. I have no idea why you think that you have to balance that information off and make it appear less substantial. People can think for themselves.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #2,268 of 5,962
All this is irrelevant. If you experienced a difference, it was with a pre order unit... not a European one. We don't need people thinkin there are variations with the x1 when there clearly aren't.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #2,269 of 5,962
Like i said, there have been DT770/600ohms from similar time frames, one super bass heavy, one bass light, and even to this day, people still don't know which they'll get. Product variation is a thing, and it's more plausible than ONE man's spouting off 'tweak' based off him owning just two of the same headphone.

So again, call it what you want, all you've said with your 'better' X1 is just that, your new one sounds better. No proof of whether it's just a variation of the drivers, defect, or a tweak. NO PROOF. So please desist from spreading rumors, at least until you can contact Philips and get concrete evidence that it has changed.

You already have one person thinking it has been tweaked and improved, with zero true evidence.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #2,270 of 5,962
Quote:
All this is irrelevant. If you experienced a difference, it was with a pre order unit... not a European one. We don't need people thinkin there are variations with the x1 when there clearly aren't.

I just wanted to share my impressions and experiences and not start a X1v2 cult. That's what you guys made out of that, not me.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #2,271 of 5,962
Please don't make me go back and search for your assumption when you said something of the likes of the US having old batches while Europe has new ones... blah bla blah. Too tired for that. We didnt make this a v2 thing... we are trying to AVOID it.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #2,272 of 5,962
Quote:
So again, call it what you want, all you've said with your 'better' X1 is just that, your new one sounds better.

Once again you're interpreting/repeating my posts wrongly. I never said "better", i said 4-6dB less bass, clearer mids and treble. And i also said that my old X1 also had it's charme. It's different, i never used the term better.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #2,273 of 5,962
The whole point is we are trying to avoid false assumptions of Europe having tweaked versions. If you are giving us impressions... be specific like you were at first and maintain it as the convo expands. Chris just bought his thinkin Europe has tweaked X1s from your assumptions. This is what we are trying to avoid... people making purchases off of misunderstood assumptions. You had a different sounding x1 which was a pre order unit. It may have been tweaked... it may have not. All we do know is that all x1s that are in the current market sound 99% the same... no matter which Amazon you purchase them from. End of story...

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #2,274 of 5,962
To move away from this line of conversation:

I have found the X1 to be bass emphasized, not basshead level bassy. Coming from something more neutral, yes, it can be basshead to them, but for a bassy headphone, it does border on natural most of the time. But with certain music and frequencies, the bass can be quite powerful.

Like I mentioned in my Amazon review, "If you like a balanced sound but want just a bit more bass than neutral without sacrificing quality elsewhere, the X1 is it."

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #2,275 of 5,962
Quote:
Like I mentioned in my Amazon review, "If you like a balanced sound but want just a bit more bass than neutral without sacrificing quality elsewhere, the X1 is it."

This would describe my current X1 as well.

I disagree with Tyll's Review:

Quote:
I know Philips wants to call this an audiophile headphone, but it's not. At least not in that it's neutral. The X1 has a lovely warm tilt. It will however put a big smile on the face of an audiophile when in the mood for a fun listening session. Bassheads will melt in their own pool of love for the X1; it's a great basshead can.

This sounds alot more like my old X1.

Ricardo who has bought my old X1 is also reading this thread. Maybe he can join in and has some other cans to compare them too?

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #2,276 of 5,962
I don't disagree with Tyll entirely, because I hear the warm tilt, and the bass can be quite powerful. Not always but it sometimes borders on overly bassy.

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #2,277 of 5,962
It's such a shame there are no replacable pads, especially since they're such dust magnets.  If I clean the pads, it's going to be littered with dust the following day again.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #2,278 of 5,962
That's why you'll wanna cover them up when not in use.

I just received a custom cable made by forum member kamakahah, and they rated at 0.2ohms. Can't wait to hear it.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #2,279 of 5,962
Quote:
...Chris just bought his thinkin Europe has tweaked X1s from your assumptions. This is what we are trying to avoid...

I didn't bought it because of his findings, I already bought it last wednesday. However I still don't have it.

I'm not even believing Philips changed it. I just assume that IF they did, I might receive one of those. However I want to believe all X1's are the same.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #2,280 of 5,962
the imperfections on the pads and dust is due to the flash, so disregard.

Set this up to hear differences between cables. As you can see, two cables are hooked up to an adapter that plugs directly to the X1. On the other end, my laptop has two headphone jacks that both play at the same time. To test the differences, I unplug one of the cable's on the laptop end, and then swap out back and forth.

In this image, I'm testing kamakahah's cable (0.2ohm) vs the Philips stock cable (1.8ohm).

Sadly, it's hard to compare these two cables directly like this, because kamakahah's incredibly low resistance cable plays quite a bit louder than the stock cable.

I'm beginning to see how comparing cables would be almost skewed towards the lower resistance cable due to it being louder. Loudness can be perceived as being more clear, so I'd HONESTLY advise on only testing cables with the same resistance.

Still, after some fine tuning, I can still hear a difference from where say vocals are kept more cleanly separated from the background on kama's cable. The stock cable blends the vocals into the background... aka slightly less definition. Again, it's all incredibly subtle, but as I have found with all other cables, the stock cable loses. Also, the bass lingers a bit longer on the stock cable. Kama's cable sounds sharper on the attack.

Still, after all is said and done, it IS incredibly subtle, and it's not like the stock cable loses out big time. It's really not a big deal. The stock cable is warmer, and kama's cable is a little brighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back