[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Aug 2, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #2,206 of 5,962
Quote:
The iCan isn't a portable amp.  It might be somewhat small for a desktop amp, but it runs off a power supply - not batteries.

Not sure what your question about the M-stage and iCan is asking?

I'm running my headphones through my PC (new soundblaster Zx) and I have to turn the volume up quite high.

What is the amp going to give me above what I already have?

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #2,207 of 5,962
Quote:
Less bass, more mids. That fits the HD650 perfectly. It's a great alternative to the X1. That'd be one of my top two choices as far as an alternative go. The 650 or the Annies.

Do you find HD 650 and akg702A similar? I need something for acoustic music (small jazz ensembles and classical chamber music). X1 tends to mask acoustic bass ... it makes acoustic bass sound somewhat bloated ... or artificial. It is great for music with electric bass guitar or synth bass sounds.

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #2,208 of 5,962
Yes, the Annie is like a more open HD650, but even more linear in it's frequency. I think that'd be the one you'd want.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #2,212 of 5,962
I just got my second X1 in. I pre-ordered the X1 last year and got one of the first units. Sold it at some point but couldn't forget about it :wink: My second unit has a terrible smell coming from the pads which i hope will fade away the next days.

I didnt even try the original cable but i'm using the 3m cable from my Z1000 (came with 2 cables) which measures 0.2 Ohm. It's very flexible and the connectors look great on both ends, a very nice match with the X1. I'll add some pics later.

Now to the X1: I don't want to start any rumors about unit variation but these have noticeably more clarity in the mids and treble than my first X1. The bass slams as hard as my original model and guessing from memory is about the same quantity but not as overshadowing. If all these changes just came from the cable, then WOW. I'll try the original cable later this evening. At the moment the mids are 90% there where i want them concerning clarity, my old model was maybe about 70%.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #2,213 of 5,962
I just got my second X1 in. I pre-ordered the X1 last year and got one of the first units. Sold it at some point but couldn't forget about it :wink: My second unit has a terrible smell coming from the pads which i hope will fade away the next days.

I didnt even try the original cable but i'm using the 3m cable from my Z1000 (came with 2 cables) which measures 0.2 Ohm. It's very flexible and the connectors look great on both ends, a very nice match with the X1. I'll add some pics later.

Now to the X1: I don't want to start any rumors about unit variation but these have noticeably more clarity in the mids and treble than my first X1. The bass slams as hard as my original model and guessing from memory is about the same quantity but not as overshadowing. If all these changes just came from the cable, then WOW. I'll try the original cable later this evening. At the moment the mids are 90% there where i want them concerning clarity, my old model was maybe about 70%.

Why did you sell the first X1?

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #2,215 of 5,962
This is the Sony cable, sorry for the crappy pics:

I also tried the original cable. While there is tiny difference between those 2 it's really subtle. The original cable is slightly more distant in the mids/treble which is not that bad itself. Sony cable besides having clearer more upfront mids also has more detail in the attack of basedrums. I like both for different flavours.

So there is definately a difference between this and the first X1 i had.

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #2,216 of 5,962
Quote:
While there is tiny difference between those 2 it's really subtle.

Hm, you guys are sure hearing a lot of things. My ears are not that good. I have trouble discerning between to DACs, let alone between cables. At the moment I am switching between Micromega Mydac and Fiio 07K ... both into Fiio 09K. There is hardly any difference. Micromega has a maybe a little bit more presence, but I could achieve that with light EQ. Micromega price is about 5-7 times as as Fiio.
Well maybe that is a good thing. Ears can get expensive :wink:. Anyway would really like to see more amps with treble/bass controls.

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #2,218 of 5,962
Quote:
Hm, you guys are sure hearing a lot of things. My ears are not that good.

For me it's over 14 years of training my ears/hearing with analyzing everything i got my hands on (Music (= production,recording,mixing) different speakers, headphones and related gear) while studying/working in audio engineering. I can "zoom in" to the smallest details because i know what to listen for and what to discard. But as i wrote the differences are very subtle while the description of the differences might often not read so.

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #2,219 of 5,962
Quote:
For me it's over 14 years of training my ears/hearing with analyzing everything i got my hands on (Music (= production,recording,mixing) different speakers, headphones and related gear) while studying/working in audio engineering. I can "zoom in" to the smallest details because i know what to listen for and what to discard. But as i wrote the differences are very subtle while the description of the differences might often not read so.

Yes, I understand that. Trained ears hear differently ... I can believe there could be truth to that. But ... it is a question for common man like me. Spend 40$ on DAC or 20K$. I don't have problems with hobby when spending 5$ on cables or even a bit more. For me it is (to put it mildly) questionable to spend 5000$ on speaker cables ...
I do hear difference with all my headphones :) ... a lot - it would be no problem to pick them out blindly.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #2,220 of 5,962
Everybody has a different philosophy. I love cheap gear! After owning thousands in headphones, amps and DACs more than a few times, in the end i'm perfectly happy with 2-3 headphones in the 200-300$ range, a sony mp3 player, a 35$ xonar dg and a vintage receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back