[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #2,176 of 5,962
^ And when you add space via the 3D boost it really gives the bass boost better texture and room to operate...

I really wish I had the X1 when I purchased the iCAN... it would have been fun playing with the switches with that thing...

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #2,177 of 5,962
Hmm, doing more compaisons between the chinese Belkin cable and the Mediabridge. I've noticed one thing in particular. The chinese cable renders voices more naturally, but it's not as forward. The Mediabridge cable next to the chinese cable sounds a little more nasal, but more forward. The bass is also the biggest difference. The chinese cable has more bloom, and just more presence, while the Mediabridge has more control but isn't as fun.

I dunno which I prefer. I like the heaviness of the chinese cable's bass and natural tone to the voices, but I like the slight clarity lead of the Mediabridge.

If you compare enough, you would be able to hear which is which without even looking at them.

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #2,178 of 5,962
I'm sure you've posted it already, but would you mind posting a link to the Chinese cable?

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #2,179 of 5,962

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=1408

Note that while it says Belkin, the one I received had Sennheiser branding. Still, it's the same cable.

Yes, it's expensive. I honestly would never recommend spending so much, even now. I'm sure it's probably a $5 cable. I'm sure you can find a domestic cable with the same sound for much, much less. I just happen to own it, so...

Chico, is the Inakustik star cable as thin?

As thin as it is, it feels great, easy to manage, and doesn't snag. Strangely, no exterior strain relief.

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #2,180 of 5,962
^Thanks! The price isn't toooo outrageous. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #2,181 of 5,962
It is when you compare it to every domestic cable available. You can find lots of robust, thick, sturdy cables for a fraction of the price (i.e. Mediabridge). The chinese cable has no strain relief, is very, very thin, and costs a ton. You're paying a lot for a product that realistic should cost around $5. I mean, it's a good, easy to use cable, but it's definitely the worst in build that I've owned since buying the X1. The Pipeline cable costs less, is a lot more durable, and longer. The problem with the Pipeline cable is that it retains some cable memory, like the Inakustik premium cable, though not as badly. So they're not as easy to manage when moving around.

I'm basically using the Chinese cable because it doesn't tangle, is really light, and doesn't get in the way. However, if I had a choice, I'd return for a refund and buy something else. Probably the Auvio cable sold at Radioshack for half the price just out of curiosity.

I'm almost certain it sounds more natural becomes its more prominent on the lower side of the spectrum, warming up the sound just a little. The MB cable sounds more like it's leaning on the brighter side.

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #2,182 of 5,962
Jul 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #2,183 of 5,962
I don't feel comfortable with anything less than 5 feet. :frowning2:

The Creative Aurvana Live without the extension cable is 3 feet. That is HORRIBLY short.

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #2,184 of 5,962
Quote:
I don't feel comfortable with anything less than 5 feet.
frown.gif

The Creative Aurvana Live without the extension cable is 3 feet. That is HORRIBLY short.

Yeah, I might be doing an exchanged!

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #2,185 of 5,962
I bought the x1's from amazon a couple weeks ago. I really liked them... except I thought the bass was a little too strong for my tastes so I returned them. The mids were pushed back more than I typically like too. They weren't really recessed, but I felt the quantitatively large bass over shadowed them on most tracks.

I'm now considering trying out the HD650. I am after a warmer sound signature, but would like either a little less bass or for the mids to be slightly more forward. How does the HD650 compare to the X1?

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #2,187 of 5,962
Quote:
The reason to get an iCan is for the switches on it t which gives it an advantage over a basic amp. A quality sub bass boost is something a lot of headphones benefit from (even the X1) and is great for single player gaming (Yo dawg, i heard you like sub bass).

The soundstage switch is also great and works well with movies and TV.

With the switches bypassed the iCan still sounds nearly the same as the M-stage, so I don't see too much point in buying a plain amp like the Asgard when the iCan sounds essentially the same but is more fun and versatile (unless you just need moar power).

Size of the iCan is pretty big, so if you only want a single multi-use i.e. can take outside as well, the e12 is smaller.

Difference between an iCan (more expensive) and m-stage is price?

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #2,188 of 5,962
Quote:
Chico, is the Inakustik star cable as thin?

Not quite. 

Quote:

Size of the iCan is pretty big, so if you only want a single multi-use i.e. can take outside as well, the e12 is smaller.

Difference between an iCan (more expensive) and m-stage is price?

The iCan isn't a portable amp.  It might be somewhat small for a desktop amp, but it runs off a power supply - not batteries.

Not sure what your question about the M-stage and iCan is asking?

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #2,189 of 5,962
Quote:
Yeah, it's a teeny bit more gentle than the Mediabridge cable.

So I just noticed I have a 10$ off coupon for my next purchase on Ratshack, so I'll probably buy the Auvio 6ft cable for the hell of it. It will only cost me about $12 after the warranty so why the hell not? That will be the last thing I buy for the X1.

Auvio cable are a no go for me.  I just tried them on the X1s and the microphonics were immediately noticable and very distracting.  Couldn't even stand 5 minutes of it.  They're going straight back to Radio Shack.  

I'll stick to my Mediabridge cables or maybe try out these: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-6-Feet-MIXIT-Cable-Black/dp/B00DZIFKIQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2SVHIJ5SHBVEX&coliid=I29SPUP7X3EYKK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back