[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #2,131 of 5,962
Reading your comments,I would say go with the X1.  

I tested a bunch of headphones in a pro shop over three days - all the way up tot he HD800, T1 and some top end Grados etc.   I like the HD800 and HD650 the most. 

But the X1 really registered with me.  I did not end up with the X1 in part because I think with very good desktop DACs and AMPS, the Sennheisers probably scale up higher.  But the X1 was very special and I am still thinking about it after months.  It reminded me of the wamth of the HD650 but is faster, more articulate, and just sounds more detailed though it is really not.  I feel that the X1 is special.

UL

Quote:
If the Denon D2000 was still available my choice would have been simple. But now... I'm looking at the X1, Sennheiser's HD650, AKG's K550, AKG's K701's, Hifiman's HE-400 and Beyerdynamic's DT880 250ohm. . Sennheiser's HD600 might be a better choice than the HD650's but the HD650's are warmer which I like (I'm not searching for the most neutral sound possible, I fear it might be boring or unforgiving).

Long story short: I wouldn't be posting all this if I wouldn't prefer the X1 (don't shoot me for saying this!! 
biggrin.gif
 ). I might be horribly wrong of course, I'm still in doubt. I've read good things about AKG's K550 but since it's is a closed headphone and I've always used open headphones (Don't need isolation after all) I'm guessing those won't be the right choice. Hifiman's HE-400 are getting a lot of praise and its frequency response (-chart) looks very good. However I currently own a Sennheiser HD595 and Sennheiser's are known for being very comfortable. I use my HD595's sometimes for 6 hours straight, while the HE-400's major downside is it's wearing comfort. I've read the cushion is very thin and you could feel the frame on your head? I don't think I would like that after using Sennheisers, no matter the sound quality the Hifiman might produce. AKG's K701 on the other hand seems to be lacking in the mid/lower-bass frequencies while I like a warmer sound. For the same reason I'm preferring the HD650's over the more neutral HD600's. However I do notice the notorious Sennheiser-veil with my current HD595's and I'm afraid the HD650's won't make a big difference. The DT880's at last... I don't know.

So I'am comparing the HD650's to the X1's (don't ban me 
redface.gif
) while costing 175 euro's/232 dollars (X1) and 276 euro's/366 dollars (HD650). I know both are very cheap comparing to their regular price but there's still the 100 euro / 133 dollar difference. Since I would like a warmer, fun headphone and already tasted Sennheiser's veil I'm leaning towards the X1 which is also easier to drive. However I know I shouldn't be comparing it to the HD650's as being one of the most beloved headphones on Head-fi. What would you do?

(background: I listen to music for fun, 60% to really experience it and 40% just to keep it in the background while doing other things. I listen to almost every genre. Using it exclusively at home, primarily on a DAC/hAmp)

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #2,132 of 5,962
@Chris5488: I think if you're preferring a warmer sound you can cross both AKGs you mentioned off your list... Maybe the K702AE or the K712 might fit your bill, but both the K550 and the K701 are not warm by any definition.

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #2,134 of 5,962
Dakanao, I think you've already done enough reading on the X1s, and it's time to make a decision and buy something or not.

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #2,136 of 5,962
Quote:
Dakanao, I think you've already done enough reading on the X1s, and it's time to make a decision and buy something or not.

No, not enough. I haven't got enough different opinions for my taste, especially not on the question how engaging they are for different people. See, that really is my biggest issue with my current headphone, they sound good, but the sound just isn't engaging for me. And before I bought them, there were 2 people who said they were really engaging for them, while I think the opposite. That's why I need a lot of opinions on if they're engaging or not, and not just 2 people, so I can make a general consume thanks to a lot people if they're engaging or not. So if you want, can you tell me on a scale from 1 - 10 how engaging these are for you?

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #2,137 of 5,962
Quote:
No, not enough. I haven't got enough different opinions for my taste, especially not on the question how engaging they are for different people. See, that really is my biggest issue with my current headphone, they sound good, but the sound just isn't engaging for me. And before I bought them, there were 2 people who said they were really engaging for them, while I think the opposite. That's why I need a lot of opinions on if they're engaging or not, and not just 2 people, so I can make a general consume thanks to a lot people if they're engaging or not. So if you want, can you tell me on a scale from 1 - 10 how engaging these are for you?

Nothing about the X1 is going to wow you, but it does do everything right. The bass may make it seem engaging at times, but not at higher volumes due to its slight distortion. I would give these a 6.5/10 at best... on an engaging/wow factor scale. But these are definitely a 9/10 as far as sound for its value. It has a satisfying, distinct, and open sound that frankly no other headphone has.

If you haven't pulled the trigger on these, by now, then listen to your gut. These may not be for you...

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2,138 of 5,962
Quote:

Nothing about the X1 is going to wow you, but it does do everything right. The bass may make it seem engaging at times, but not at higher volumes due to its slight distortion. I would give these a 6.5/10 at best... on an engaging/wow factor scale. But these are definitely a 9/10 as far as sound for its value. It has a satisfying, distinct, and open sound that frankly no other headphone has.

If you haven't pulled the trigger on these, by now, then listen to your gut. These may not be for you...

Do you any other headphones around the price of the X1 that are engaging?

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #2,139 of 5,962
If you don't mind a neutral warmish tone, go for the Q701 and order some new memory foam pads (cheapest route). Or just buy the K702 AE or K712 for about $100 more.

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #2,140 of 5,962
Quote:

I know they are different beasts, but I'll be really interested in how you feel about the M500 versus the X1. Could change the course of wayne's world history lol!

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #2,141 of 5,962
Quote:

I know they are different beasts, but I'll be really interested in how you feel about the M500 versus the X1. Could change the course of wayne's world history lol!

Everything will be from sheer memory but I'll do my best. I ended up returning the X1 and going back to my beloved Annies... 

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #2,142 of 5,962
Quote:

What makes a headphone sound "engaging" is a personal thing.  Everyone has different preferences, and It will differ from user to user.  Some people like engaging mids and find a headphone like the HD598 to sound engaging, while I tend to find it a bit boring sounding.  Other people (like myself) love soundstage (see link in my sig) and are drawn to headphones with impressive soundstages.  There are threads for bass heads, mid heads, treble heads, etc. here on head-fi.  I bet all their opinions on what makes a headphone "engaging" will differ quite a bit.  That might be why you don't find your current headphone engaging while two other people do.

Simply rating a headphone on an "engaging" scale of 1 - 10 doesn't tell me much about it.  Not unless I already know what the person rating it likes in a headphone.  It might tell me that a group of people (obviously biased if asking in a thread like this) like the headphone, but it still might be a headphone I will dislike.  If you ask AD700 owners if their headphone is engaging, a lot of people may say "Yes!" - but you should find out why feel that way.  They might say they love the tin-can bass on it!

Anyways....the question is: what do YOU find engaging about headphones?  What things do you like and dislike in a headphone?  That's something you should try and figure out.  If you're looking for something, eventually it helps to know WHAT you're looking for in order to find it.  Do you like an intimate sound, or a more distant sound?  Do you like a dark sound, or a brighter sound?  Do you like your bass (or mids or treble) more emphasized, or do you like it more netural?  etc. etc...

I happen to like a lot of things about the X1.  Some examples: I like how they're signature is part fun-tilted yet still pretty balanced sounding, and I like how they pull of big bass AND a big soundstage simultaneously (having both of those in ONE headphone is rare).  If you want more details, I shared my thoughts in a review.  Anything else I say will be a rehash of what I already said there. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #2,143 of 5,962
@Chicolom, very good advice. I need to apply some of that to myself lol. And an excellent review - maybe one of the best I've read because I got so much out of it, and it made me lust after the X1 even more!

This might sound stupid, but recently I have been listening to my slightly modified koss sportapro drivers on a parts express headband (total price $30). And whenever I go back to them, I realize how much I enjoy their sound signature. I'm not even sure what the signature is, but the bass is definitely there, the mids are not recessed at all and rather engaging, tthe treble is there also but non-offensive (ie not sibilant), and they actually have a fairly nice and open soundstage. So your little spiel above has made me consider that I should be looking for headphones with a similar signature (albeit more refined and detailed would be nice).

After reading your review, I am thinking that the X1's might provide a similar same signature. Your review at least resonated with me and made me think that the X1's have the signature that I'm looking for.

I've already been pushed to the X1 edge by dsnuts and dannybai, and your review now has me teetering precipitously. All I need now is for sfwalcer to give me one last gentle push... 
size]

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #2,144 of 5,962
Quote:
I've already been pushed to the X1 edge by dsnuts and dannybai, and your review now has me teetering precipitously. All I need now is for sfwalcer to give me one last gentle push... 
size]

He gave me the push I needed  
size]

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #2,145 of 5,962
Quote:

Dude just buy them from amazon and return if not happy. Simple as that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back