[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 27, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #2,146 of 5,962
He gave me the push I needed  
size]

This means you're getting the X1 ahead of me Wayne, wish I had extra funds now. They're definitely next on my list...

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #2,147 of 5,962
Quote:
@Chicolom, very good advice. I need to apply some of that to myself lol. And an excellent review - maybe one of the best I've read because I got so much out of it, and it made me lust after the X1 even more!

This might sound stupid, but recently I have been listening to my slightly modified koss sportapro drivers on a parts express headband (total price $30). And whenever I go back to them, I realize how much I enjoy their sound signature. I'm not even sure what the signature is, but the bass is definitely there, the mids are not recessed at all and rather engaging, tthe treble is there also but non-offensive (ie not sibilant), and they actually have a fairly nice and open soundstage. So your little spiel above has made me consider that I should be looking for headphones with a similar signature (albeit more refined and detailed would be nice).

After reading your review, I am thinking that the X1's might provide a similar same signature. Your review at least resonated with me and made me think that the X1's have the signature that I'm looking for.

I have the sportapro drivers + parts express headband too.  It's my workhorse headphone for general purpose use.

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #2,148 of 5,962
So for the past few days, ive been using the chinese silver cable. I looooove it. Why? Because it's so damn easy to manage due to it's thinness. Despite how I feel the Mediabridge sounds ever so slightly better, I prefer the lightness, the easy maintenance of the thinner, shorter, chinese cable. Sometimes practicality wins out over the incredibly subtle sq boost.

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #2,151 of 5,962
I got the X1s last week and I'd like to say that I can now retire my Sennheiser HD598s and my DT770 Pro 32 LEs.  The X1s are a nice all-rounder and sound like a great blend of the strengths of the HD598s and DT770s.  

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #2,152 of 5,962
Quote:
Chicolom: What makes a headphone engaging for me is if they're full and lush sounding, with bright treble, but with no sibilance, and punchy tight bass.

You might want to look into the HE400.  They have bright treble and punchy tight bass.  The mids are a tad recessed though, which can hurt their fullness, and I don't really think of them as lush.  Usually lush and full + bright treble aren't found together. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #2,153 of 5,962
Quote:
No, not enough. I haven't got enough different opinions for my taste, especially not on the question how engaging they are for different people. See, that really is my biggest issue with my current headphone, they sound good, but the sound just isn't engaging for me. And before I bought them, there were 2 people who said they were really engaging for them, while I think the opposite. That's why I need a lot of opinions on if they're engaging or not, and not just 2 people, so I can make a general consume thanks to a lot people if they're engaging or not. So if you want, can you tell me on a scale from 1 - 10 how engaging these are for you?

What is your current headphone??

For me, X1 "engageness": 10/10 

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #2,155 of 5,962
Chicolom why is lush + bright a hard to do combination?
Quote:
What is your current headphone??

For me, X1 "engageness": 10/10 

AKG K540.
Quote:

All bright headphones have some levels of sibilance.
And as chicolom said, bright + lush don't go together.

Good luck with your search.

What about the Shure 840? People claim those are lush sounding, and they have bright treble aswell (I tested them out, they just didn't have enough bass for me)

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #2,157 of 5,962
All bright headphones have some levels of sibilance.

Not the Stax SR407. It's bright, and yet the treble is the greatest I have ever heard. No fatigue despite it being forward.

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #2,158 of 5,962
Quote:
This means you're getting the X1 ahead of me Wayne, wish I had extra funds now. They're definitely next on my list...

Well, you tortured me for a while by getting your H200s first. And you got that damned C5. So the least I can do is to return the favour a bit! 
size]

Quote:
I have the sportapro drivers + parts express headband too.  It's my workhorse headphone for general purpose use.

Excellent - I'm not nuts for liking them so much! Or maybe we're both nuts... but if that's the case, it's nice to have company lol.

Anyway, I'm very stoked about the X1's. Now to search the thread for shorter cable recommendations...

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #2,159 of 5,962
Quote:
Chicolom why is lush + bright a hard to do combination?

Because they are usually contradictory.

Sort of like a warm sound (dark and full) and cold sound (thin and bright).  Usually warm headphones are the more lush sounding ones.

Taken from the Head-fi "Describing Sound:A Glossary":
...a "lush" sound has a sense of warmth and fullness. Notes are more authoritative and have a sense of life about them. It is a sound free of any sibilance or brightness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back