[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #2,071 of 5,962
Would someone mind measuring the inside of the pads and tell me the diameter and depth? I have large ears and I am trying to compare to Beyer T1. I am very close to picking up an X1 but I really would not want to go anything smaller the the T1 pads. Very quick measurement was T1 is approximately 2 inches wide by 3/4 inches deep.

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #2,072 of 5,962
it has an oval shape. 2 1/2" height, 2" wide, 1/2" deep.

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #2,073 of 5,962
The T1 uses similar pads to the Premium 880/990? I can tell you right now, the X1's pads are open, and feel deeper. Not sure its because the Beyer pads collapse, while the X1s don't. People who have a problem with the Beyer pads making their ear press against the driver cover won't have the same problem with the X1.

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #2,074 of 5,962
Thanks.
I believe the T1 pads are very similar in size to the 880, not the same pads but close. The T1 would be perfect if they were a tad higher so I'm really trying not to get a headphone that is smaller than that. I was able to adjust the T1 so my ears just avoid the driver. Had a similar problem with the D7000, my ear would rub against the cloth protecting the driver on the inside causing me grief. 
Gotta say having big ears is a pain. I suppose on the bright side I might be able to hear a tad better then most 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #2,075 of 5,962
The T1s pads are a little different from the others. The velour is different and I think the size is slightly different. But it's not the pads that make the T1s roomy. The space inside the ear cup is much deeper on the T1. The driver is placed father back and angled away from the ear.

If your ears just barely avoid the driver on the T1, you would definitely have problems with the 880/990 etc.

I'm not sure how the X1 compares in deepness to the T1, but there are both some of the deeper headphones I've tried.

Jul 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #2,076 of 5,962
I don't wanna rain on everybody's parade, but I find these quite uncomfortable. They clamp too hard and the fit is awkward, imo. I don't have a large head, so that's not the problem (got some room left between the leather band and the other band). Maybe I just need to find the right fit, or perhaps it's the pads.
The sound is amazing though. I liked my DT990 Pros quite a bit and I love the sound of these. 

Jul 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2,077 of 5,962
Did you bend the leather headband into a cone shape? I think it will loosen up the clamp and let it extend further down.

I'd actually prefer more clamp... the X1 is sensitive to distance.

Jul 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #2,078 of 5,962
Had a scare with my X1. I thought my left driver was popping, but I had an inkling it was my Compass 2's spdif set to es9018 direct that was causing the distortion. I changed my Compass 2 to DIR9001 to ES9018 passthrough, and all was good. Man, I wonder WHAT sources can handle ES9018 direct without distorting. Ah well. I didn't wanna have to send the X1 back...

Ah yes, I feel my Mediabridge cable is slightly better than the hilariously overpriced chinese thin cable.

Again, it's too subtle to really say, but regardless, the mediabridge sounds cleaner. May be that the chinese cable is warmer. Still, I don't recommend it. I'll be using that cable as an interconnect...whenever I have a need for one. Money down the drain.

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #2,079 of 5,962
Quote:
The T1s pads are a little different from the others. The velour is different and I think the size is slightly different. But it's not the pads that make the T1s roomy. The space inside the ear cup is much deeper on the T1. The driver is placed father back and angled away from the ear.

If your ears just barely avoid the driver on the T1, you would definitely have problems with the 880/990 etc.

I'm not sure how the X1 compares in deepness to the T1, but there are both some of the deeper headphones I've tried.

T1 pads are this ones : EDT 990 VB 
redface.gif
  (so same pads as DT-880/990)  (but the black version texture feels a bit different than silver ones)

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #2,080 of 5,962
I quite enjoy X1 at the moment. There are a few things I would like to have different. I wouldn't mind if bass would be more defined and compact. On the other hand I would like to have sealed headphones with similar sound. Any recommendations? AKG 550 maybe? I have AKG 271S which doesen't suit me (no bass, no bass, just to dry midrange). Can anyone make a comparison with Ultrasone pro 900 or even ATH W1000X. The price bracket is different, but anyway ...

Jul 22, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #2,081 of 5,962
Quote:
Had a scare with my X1. I thought my left driver was popping, but I had an inkling it was my Compass 2's spdif set to es9018 direct that was causing the distortion. I changed my Compass 2 to DIR9001 to ES9018 passthrough, and all was good. Man, I wonder WHAT sources can handle ES9018 direct without distorting. Ah well. I didn't wanna have to send the X1 back...

Ah yes, I feel my Mediabridge cable is slightly better than the hilariously overpriced chinese thin cable.

Again, it's too subtle to really say, but regardless, the mediabridge sounds cleaner. May be that the chinese cable is warmer. Still, I don't recommend it. I'll be using that cable as an interconnect...whenever I have a need for one. Money down the drain.

I thought my drivers popped, seems like a friend tuned with some of my EQ settings.

I told Philips that I thought my drivers were done and they sent me a new pair ASAP and told me to throw away my old pair. So now I got a pair of X1 inbox unopened and one stellar pair.

Perfect for that time when the pads are done I guess.

Is it because of Funai they don't want any pair sent back maybe?

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #2,083 of 5,962
Quote:
I thought my drivers popped, seems like a friend tuned with some of my EQ settings.

I told Philips that I thought my drivers were done and they sent me a new pair ASAP and told me to throw away my old pair. So now I got a pair of X1 inbox unopened and one stellar pair.

Perfect for that time when the pads are done I guess.

Is it because of Funai they don't want any pair sent back maybe?

Any chance you want to sell one of them for a really low price? Considering you essentially stole a pair? 
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #2,084 of 5,962
Quote:

T1 pads are this ones : EDT 990 VB 
redface.gif
  (so same pads as DT-880/990)  (but the black version texture feels a bit different than silver ones)

The black material is quite different.  Don't try and do the tape cleaning technique (think lint-roller) on the silver pads - it pulls away a bunch of the fibers!

Regardless of the pads, the T1s are much deeper inside.

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #2,085 of 5,962
Quote:
Indeed?  Post a photo of your two headphones.

Will do when I arrive home after work. There's just a box and a pair of headphones, but will do!

Quote:
Any chance you want to sell one of them for a really low price? Considering you essentially stole a pair? 
wink.gif

Sure, why not? Hit me up with a PM and we can discuss the price if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back