[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 25, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #1,636 of 5,962
Quote:

I'm thinking of getting the 16.4 feet regular version... would this length increase the resistance any?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647499/does-cable-length-for-headphones-degrades-sound-quality

A few posts here. Not great information, but some important concepts to consider. 

As a rule of thumb, if you can keep it shorter, do.
If for nothing else, it will help to avoid the myriad of possible problems that can occur and help you rule at least a few out in case something does happen. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #1,638 of 5,962
You shouldn't need a cable but an adapter. The one that you should get a cable for is when going from a 1/4 to a 3.5mm.

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #1,639 of 5,962
Quote:

I'm thinking of getting the 16.4 feet regular version... would this length increase the resistance any?

Yes, of course... not that it would matter though.
Resistance is based on a material quality called resistivity, the overall value depends on cross section (larger diameter gives lower overall resistance) and length (greater length gives more overall resistance).

Like chicolom said: forget hunting down abstract values (i.e. low Ohm numbers), any cheap cable will do as long as it fits. Simply get one that pleases your eyes, bends well and has the length you need.

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #1,640 of 5,962
Well, he wants something in low ohm due to the fact the X1's cable is pretty high in resistance, and it's noticeable. Most cables I've tested are way under the stock cable's resistance, so I'll chalk it up to bad cable design by Philips.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #1,641 of 5,962
I know...
But as long as nobody is able to measure the impedance of said stock cable over the audible frequency range and that really shows a deficiency the hunt for the lowest resistance cable is a waste of time as almost any other cable will do.
Changes you might be hearing are much more likely to be due to slightly more volume when using a lower resistance cable as that changes the voltage divider ratio between driver and cable...

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #1,642 of 5,962
The difference between stock and the others is obvious. The bass is stronger, and the mids are pushed back. Doesn't matter what volume level. It has a less detailed sound. The Inakustik in particular was considerably brighter in comparison. The mids were more up front and the bass was more controlled, not as bloomy. Has nothing to do with volume.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #1,643 of 5,962
Based on the section I quoted, it doesn't actually seem like they sound at all alike. Quite a number of differences. 

As you said, you just prefer the sound signature of the HD558. That's totally normal. It's what keeps me from buying every hype-train headphones that passes through Head-fi -- Knowing that I can't be sure if I'll like it [more] until I try it. 

Heh, what can I say? I made a literal A/B comparison of the two, connecting both to the source at the same time with a Y splitter. They sound pretty much equally loud at the same volume, so it was even easier.

And what I found was that they sound quite alike to my ears. The differences I've pointed out are much more prominent on paper than during actual listening. The overall signature wasn't as different as, say, the difference between a Sennheiser and an Audio Technica. There were songs and passages where, in a blind test, I'd be hard-pressed to tell the two apart.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #1,644 of 5,962
So I tried the Pipeline cable from Ratshack. It's expensive, looks nice and durable, and most importantly, it's resistance is around 0.5ohm. While it's sleeved, the thickness is just like the Vmoda cable.

Not as stiff as the Inakustik premium, so I'm sticking with this one.

The Auvio 6ft cable was 20 dollars, it's gray, and seems a little more flexible. Anyone looking for nice cloth sleeved cable should probably go for that one. I just prefer a longer cable. If not, I would've easily went with tbe Auvio cable. I was allowed to take them out of the packaging, and so I can say both are good. I didn't get to test the Auvio's resistance, but I'm sure it's good.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #1,645 of 5,962
Glad it worked out for you. I've had the Pipeline since day one, hence why I haven't been caught up in much of the cable talk until yesterday. Have you noticed how gentle it is on the X1 jack?

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #1,646 of 5,962
Yeah, it's a teeny bit more gentle than the Mediabridge cable.

So I just noticed I have a 10$ off coupon for my next purchase on Ratshack, so I'll probably buy the Auvio 6ft cable for the hell of it. It will only cost me about $12 after the warranty so why the hell not? That will be the last thing I buy for the X1.

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #1,648 of 5,962
hmm?

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #1,649 of 5,962
So some guys in the DIY cable thread were posting some links to sites for connectors and stuff. There was one that I hadn't visited yet. It's all stuff from China. I came across something interesting if anyone wants to take a leap of faith. 
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=1408

So it looks great. The connector appears to be just right for the X1 based on what some of you have pointed out. Its just under 6ft (180cm). Pure silver, thought only 5N, but that's plenty good. At a grand total of $38 which includes shipping...it's a (insert expletive)  steal. 

Know that its coming from China, so you're taking that risk. The free shipping can take up to 30 days, though I find most of the time its less than half that. They do offer DHL or EMS shipping if you want to pay extra, they'll give you a quote. 

I'm thinking of picking one up and modding it for my Mad Dogs as a portable cable just for the lawlz.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #1,650 of 5,962
Well.... fuuuuu--

I WANT IT.

;__;

I'm... probably gonna get it. :rolleyes:

Why oh why didn't you post that earlier? :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back