[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #1,351 of 5,962
Quote:

Depends on your source. The headphone connector is 3.5, so if the source you are using is 3.5, then you are good. If it is 6.35 then get the adapter. One thing I will say, I got the 4 pole with the mic, and it doesn't like my 6.35 adapter. I wish I had just gotten the cable without the mic.

-Erik

Do you order the cable straight from V-moda?

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #1,352 of 5,962
Quote:

Depends on your source. The headphone connector is 3.5, so if the source you are using is 3.5, then you are good. If it is 6.35 then get the adapter. One thing I will say, I got the 4 pole with the mic, and it doesn't like my 6.35 adapter. I wish I had just gotten the cable without the mic.

-Erik

I have a 6.35 source so I ended up ordering both the cable and an adapter from the V-Moda website. I ordered the Audio only cable as I don't really have a need for the buttons on the other cables.

Quote:

Do you order the cable straight from V-moda?

This is what I did. I didn't see the cables on Amazon so I just ordered from the website as mentioned on the InnerFidelity Youtube review.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,353 of 5,962
Quote:

I have a 6.35 source so I ended up ordering both the cable and an adapter from the V-Moda website. I ordered the Audio only cable as I don't really have a need for the buttons on the other cables.

This is what I did. I didn't see the cables on Amazon so I just ordered from the website as mentioned on the InnerFidelity Youtube review.

How long is the audio only cable?

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #1,355 of 5,962
Yea I need a 10ft cable with a 1/4 inch end. I would prefer to have 3.5 to 3.5 with a 1/4 inch adapter. Any suggestions in the 10ft range? I don't need anything too fancy.

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #1,356 of 5,962
Just curious as to why Philips doesn't advertise these on their website?

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #1,357 of 5,962
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B00CTUUA5Y/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1370239879&sr=8-9&keywords=mediabridge+3.5mm

lI have the 8ft version. I thinkl it's a fine cable, though not sure on it's output resistanmce. I used it with the SLYR (as the SLYR's cable was too short for my use), and had no issues.

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #1,358 of 5,962
I just pulled the trigger on these. I am hoping that they will be a great companion to the HE-400.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #1,359 of 5,962
Quote:
I just pulled the trigger on these. I am hoping that they will be a great companion to the HE-400.
smily_headphones1.gif

Forgive my ignorance, i dont know much about the HE-400 except they're expensive.  Why would you buy the X1's as a "companion"?  The X1's are bass heavy but the HE-400's also have great bass (dont they?).

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #1,360 of 5,962
The HE-400 has a very linear extension into the lower frequencies, yes, but the X1's bass is actually boosted above the rest of the spectrum. I can EQ the HE-400's to have more bass but they still sound a little unnatural to me. They're almost TOO transparent IMO. That being said, I love them for EDM. The reasons I got the X1 include a more natural sound, better soundstage, and I still love bass. Plus, if I decide I like one over the other, I can sell one of them. That's what I tell my wallet anyway...

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #1,361 of 5,962
Quote:
The HE-400 has a very linear extension into the lower frequencies, yes, but the X1's bass is actually boosted above the rest of the spectrum. I can EQ the HE-400's to have more bass but they still sound a little unnatural to me. They're almost TOO transparent IMO. That being said, I love them for EDM. The reasons I got the X1 include a more natural sound, better soundstage, and I still love bass. Plus, if I decide I like one over the other, I can sell one of them. That's what I tell my wallet anyway...

thanks for the response.

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #1,363 of 5,962
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

Would love to hear your impressions after you get your X1 as I'm trying to decide between the two.

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #1,365 of 5,962
I received my X1 today.

The smell and the sight when you first open the box is really something, lol. Really smells like a new car. And those pads are literally sparkling, I swear for a second I thought they were covered in diamond dust :D

I've tried it on for about 40 minutes. At first the clamp is a bit tight, but it loosens pretty quickly. The thing is HUGE on my head!

I don't find the X1 to be the bass monster some have depicted. There's warmth and rumble in the bass, but there's less midbass than in your typical Sennheiser, and I'd like a bit more of that. The X1 is accurate, fast, musical. Not even a hint of sibilance. Good vocals, good punch, good energy and crunch in the guitars. Seems well suited to many genres.

The X1 doesn't have the crazy imaging and separation of the HD650, or the sizzle of the HD558. There's soundstage, but the sound comes forward as a whole, not in separated layers like with the HD650. There's detail, but not so much as to make this an analytical headphone. "Musical" seems an appropriate word to describe the X1.

As I said, I'd appreciate a touch more midbass, and I'd also prefer a little more shimmer and sparkle in the highs. However, while the X1 will never be a problem for those who are sensitive to high frequencies, I find it more energetic and less tamed than the HD650. I need to spend a lot more time with the X1, but upon first impression, it really makes me think I may have found something to replace my ATH-AD2000.

Oh, one final note: the X1 leaks sound like nobody's business :D No wonder the box explicitely says "for indoor use", lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back