[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Feb 5, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #871 of 5,962
Quote:
Not feeling that spike at 9khz. I was hoping it'd be a smoother alternative to the DT990...

More sub bass which is awesome, and less mid bass bloat, but that treble... looks like a harsh/sibilant prone headphone.

Still, that linearity after the sub bass seems VERY desirable. Looks like an EQ to lower 9khz by a few decibles will make the X1 quite a potent headphone.

Does anyone know if they produce the graphs using the stock cable or injecting the signal into the Jack socket via an adaptor. I don't feel the sound is the same as the  graph especially with the 9khz Peak and Stock cable.  It sound recessed here to me with stock!!!  I am thinking of the sound that tapping the high hat cymbals are around this type of frequency and they sound recessed with Stock cable..

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #872 of 5,962
Quote:
Does anyone know if they produce the graphs using the stock cable or injecting the signal into the Jack socket via an adaptor. I don't feel the sound is the same as the  graph especially with the 9khz Peak and Stock cable.  It sound recessed here to me with stock!!!  I am thinking of the sound that tapping the high hat cymbals are around this type of frequency and they sound recessed with Stock cable..

Common now. How much does a cable do for the frequency response when measuring a headphones? Perhaps 0.2 dB tops.
Not saying there can't be an audible difference but when measuring the difference is minimal. I'm open for someone to prove me wrong though and show me me data to the contrary.

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #873 of 5,962
Quote:

Common now. How much does a cable do for the frequency response when measuring a headphones? Perhaps 0.2 dB tops.
Not saying there can't be an audible difference but when measuring the difference is minimal. I'm open for someone to prove me wrong though and show me me data to the contrary.

Never ever ever ever ever ever seen that.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #874 of 5,962
Quote:
I have tried them with Five 9's OCC copper , Four 9's solid silver and currently my favourite is Seven 9's OCC silver plated cryo treated.  There is not so much difference between the solid silver and the high purity copper silver plated but the copper multistrand is a much more flexible cable which suits better the rather flimsy 3.5mm jack socket as it has  less strain on it.

Thx for answering, ruffra.  So between solid OCC copper and solid non OCC silver you would go for the latter? 

When you exchanged the provided cable for a OCC copper one did you hear any improvements? I am weary that pure non OCC silver would rend the X1 too sterile. 

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #875 of 5,962
Quote:

Thx for answering, ruffra.  So between solid OCC copper and solid non OCC silver you would go for the latter? 

When you exchanged the provided cable for a OCC copper one did you hear any improvements? I am weary that pure non OCC silver would rend the X1 too sterile. 

OK just to clarify my experience with OCC Copper is only using Stranded conductors.  The Solid cores where four 9's Silver.  I found the wires used opened up the sound rather than made it more sterile.  More low level detail was able to be heard which enhances the overall richness in music content in my opinion.  

My experience from September with the X1 is that they are a very revealing set of phones which directly open up your source material and equipment to a view under a spotlight as they have a "Front Row Balance" in their presentation.

So nuances in music are easily picked up, apart from some subtle 3d room effects which are not as prominent in these phones as they are in some much most expensive.  However they are great Fun to listen to and for me have the right compromise across the frequency balance if your source equipment is good enough. I Identified the stock cables as limiting within the 1st hour of listening.  Perhaps that's because I have changed a number of stock cables on different makes and now know what issues are with cables rather than the Transducer/Headphone design.  Its the same on interconnects with me so I have been experimenting with cable types and designs for some 15+ years.  

I have tried some Microphone Cable from Van Damme also which is multi wire OCC copper with some silver wires but that was only marginally better than stock and the improvement not easily heard.  I do understand people who consider only Snake Oil improvements with aftermath cables. There is a lot of Hype out there. However some designs and material offer a much greater benefit over Bell Wire or stock, but you might have to go through the expense to find out Better vs just Different.

My recommendation of High Purity multi strand silver plated copper in 3 wire Litz braid is now based on about 2 months of listening. I have gone back to stock once for as long as 5 minutes over that time!!!

People can take my comments as they like , its a free forum. However I have been listen via headphones for over 35 years so I do have some length of service on the subject.

For the Snake Oil Flat Earthers I use  Cryo treated Rhodium plated medical grade Molybdenum with Eichmann Bullet terminations on my Main interconnects .  They might be  mouthful to say but they are the one of the best interconnects I have heard regardless of price.

I'm not sure how much snake oil is a quart but you would need to bleed a Forest Full to pay the RRP for these sets of interconnects!!!

I am straying off  the X1's thread again please stop me.!!!

PS You need to keep the cable flexible at the 3.5mm connector because  strain on the headphone socket can lead to premature failure within the socket fingers.  ( More about this in a few weeks time!!!)

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #876 of 5,962
Quote:

Although I might agree with an overall minimal effect at a say 1Khz I really unsure about 0.2db across the full frequency spectrum. I do not have any data either way however.  What do you have regarding 0.2dB???

Sorry just found this article regarding hearing??? haven't read it all yet but may have some useful info regarding Sound pressure levels at different frequencies and what that mean to our ability to hear the difference. Its a bit long so most people may not want to go there!!!

http://wiki.dxarts.washington.edu/sandbox/groups/general/wiki/9e11b/attachments/012ef/The%20ear%20and%20the%20perception%20of%20sound%20-%20Alton%20Everest%20%28from%20The%20Master%20Handbook%20Of%20Acoustics%29.pdf?sessionID=a32e2289dbb539020a59282fd472b8adca2c28fb.

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #877 of 5,962
Quote:
How *good* does the Fidelio X1 sound compared to my HD 650? I haven't heard it yet.

here is my opinion just posted on another thread. Hope it gives you my idea of the difference.

OK I think my post about an hour plus ago lists my recent phones I have found Better in some respects and some Better in all respects than the HD650's.  All using my definition of "Better"

I do believe the HD650 are more veiled when compared with something better using the same source  material. This is about HD650 and other phones comparison not some general Bu*ls**t, i'm not into that. 
smily_headphones1.gif

OK an Update. I just went back a listened to a couple of Tracks of a CD well known to me on my system,  using a Musical Fidelity M1 HPA amp and My HD650 and My Philips X1's.

The HD650's while playing the same music and sounding good when following the bass guitar rifts ,above that seemed  to damp down the transient attack of instruments with higher frequencies and didn't have the same clarity of vocal presentation that the X1's have. To try and summaries its like listening through headphones on a Headamp with valves in , 2 minutes after switch on and 20 minutes after ,once the valves are warmed up and in their linear region. There is a fogginess to the sound before the valves are fully functioning and the difference in the two HP's  remind me of that effect. Thats why I say the HD650's have a veil compared to something Better and its best to compare these things side by side with the same equipment and music if you can.  

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #879 of 5,962
Quote:
 here is my opinion just posted on another thread. Hope it gives you my idea of the difference.

OK I think my post about an hour plus ago lists my recent phones I have found Better in some respects and some Better in all respects than the HD650's.  All using my definition of "Better"

I do believe the HD650 are more veiled when compared with something better using the same source  material. This is about HD650 and other phones comparison not some general Bu*ls**t, i'm not into that. 
smily_headphones1.gif

OK an Update. I just went back a listened to a couple of Tracks of a CD well known to me on my system,  using a Musical Fidelity M1 HPA amp and My HD650 and My Philips X1's.

The HD650's while playing the same music and sounding good when following the bass guitar rifts ,above that seemed  to damp down the transient attack of instruments with higher frequencies and didn't have the same clarity of vocal presentation that the X1's have. To try and summaries its like listening through headphones on a Headamp with valves in , 2 minutes after switch on and 20 minutes after ,once the valves are warmed up and in their linear region. There is a fogginess to the sound before the valves are fully functioning and the difference in the two HP's  remind me of that effect. Thats why I say the HD650's have a veil compared to something Better and its best to compare these things side by side with the same equipment and music if you can.  

Every time I listen to the M1 HPA and compare it to other amps in audio stores I get the same feeling you have with the HD650.
To my ears it's a very diffuse and foggy sounding amp and the combination with the perhaps HD650 doesn't help. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #880 of 5,962
Quote:

Every time I listen to the M1 HPA and compare it to other amps in audio stores I get the same feeling you have with the HD650.
To my ears it's a very diffuse and foggy sounding amp and the combination with the perhaps HD650 doesn't help. 

That's interesting.  I haven't found that with my M1 HPA at home. I have found it quite open in the midband and a little bright in the higher spectrums compared with the MF Xcan v8.  
Its not so bright as the SPL Auditor which I have found a very good match for the HD650's as it opens their slightly veiled midband and top out a lot.

For me the Xcanv8 and X1's go together very well as their overall sound signatures seem to mesh well together.  The M1 HPA and the Beyer T1 seem to work well together  and similarly the SPL Auditor and HD650's have a synergy .  I use headphones as a primary reference to listen to new upstream equipment/cables as they seem to reveal most differences plus/minus more easily than speakers ( There are certainly some things that speaker based systems reveal better I know) So perhaps the upstream system components in store have had an influence on your listening experiences with the M1 HPA.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #883 of 5,962
Huh? www.innerfidelity.com works just fine for me, the note about getting the X1 is towards the ends of the most recent post. He tends to test/measure a lot of headphones that don't necessarily get full reviews, there's a page within the site for those tests.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #885 of 5,962
Hi to all!
My Fidelio x1 arrived just yesterday, living in Italy i've found a good deal on them and i'm pretty happy but...
...i'm really,really noob in this type of headphones beacuse in the past i've always used IEM.
So the first big problem is: i need an amp like "fiio" to drive them? my terratec phase 24 don't work under windows 8
and integrated motherboard soundcard seems to not have enough power.
Any help/advice is really appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back