[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Dec 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #541 of 5,962
Im just afraid on how they will fit my head. I may have to wear them with the headband angled quite a bit. Philips and other headphone makers really need to cater to all head sizes.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #542 of 5,962
Quote:

Enjoyed reading your review, makes the wait for my X1's all the harder, Philips have still not dispatched mine, so it looks like it will be a late Christmas present.

I currently have DT 770 Pros and while I love them for short gaming sessions (around an hour) any longer and its a relief to take them off and give my ears a rest.  I think this is down to them being closed and having such in your face bass.  As I enjoy more cinematic story driven games I am sure the X1's will be great for me.  Will keep the DT 770's for when the girlfriend is in the same room 
bigsmile_face.gif

Good to hear the X1's earpads are so good, most headphones I have tried have been less than ideal in this respect.

Yeah, the DT 770's were not the most comfortable headphone to wear for extended periods. They clamped too tight on your head and gave you a headache after a while. I think the X1's are perfect if you want a great cinematic experience out of them while still being able to pinpoint sounds with an above average degree of accuracy.

The earpads are god-like but some people on here have claimed that they weren't comfortable because they couldn't get the headphones on their head correctly. Apparently they must have pretty large heads...Larger than anyone I've met before or they have a hell of a lot of hair. Haha. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #543 of 5,962
Quote:
Really tempted to pick these up for home use. Given the low impedance, is it necessary to be driven by an amp, or will my iMac suffice, until I get around to buying an amp next year?

You can drive them without an amp just fine. That's why they are low impedance. However, a low impedance amp would tighten up the sound. Whether that is noticeable to you or not can only be determined if you try it out. I think when I switch from my Xonar Essence ST to the Titanium HD with Schiit Magni amp that the difference won't be that great. This is because the Xonar is a legit high quality sound card with a decent amp already built in, just not one optimized for low impedance headphones. Your iMac probably has a much worse onboard sound solution than the Xonar so an amp would probably be noticeable to my ears. But I wouldn't worry about it unless you really think it needs the extra help of an amp after you have tried the X1's for a month at least.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #544 of 5,962
Quote:
Im just afraid on how they will fit my head. I may have to wear them with the headband angled quite a bit. Philips and other headphone makers really need to cater to all head sizes.

I don't know how big my head is but there is still quite a bit of give in the headphones once they are on me. I'm sure they must be able to stretch to a larger size by a few centimeters or whatever. But at least the headband itself is pretty forgiving and soft so if you do have to stretch it a bit it shouldn't be too uncomfortable for you. Hopefully. Do you have hair like Cloud in your avatar? That could definitely add to the size, haha.

It is true though that the Beyers sliders can accomodate an even larger head than the X1 can I would imagine. That slider on the beyers would work great for an alien.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #545 of 5,962
Actually I shave my head for the most part. Not skin head, but short short. And lol, I basically max out the headband on the Beyers, though I like wearing my headphones loose. I can basically wear Beyers at 6 notches, and I think 8 is max. Yeah, I have a longish head.

Another example is the AKG 701s. They are very tight on my head.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #546 of 5,962
Quote:
Actually I shave my head for the most part. Not skin head, but short short. And lol, I basically max out the headband on the Beyers, though I like wearing my headphones loose. I can basically wear Beyers at 6 notches, and I think 8 is max. Yeah, I have a longish head.
Another example is the AKG 701s. They are very tight on my head.

Yeah, I typically wear the beyers on the 5th to 6th notch as well just because I like it a bit loose. I can clamp the beyers to the 2nd or 3rd notch but then it is too tight and feels like the DT 770 is on my head. If I go to the 8th notch then they nearly fall off of my head if I move too suddenly. The X1's clamp better than the Beyer's due to the headband design which doesn't let you loosen it up once it is on. Yet, since the earpads are relatively deep and very comfortable you don't really mind that they are snug on your head because they are quite a bit more airy inside.

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #547 of 5,962
I don't like the akg and beyer sound. The treble is too harsh.
I have owned a k550 and I didn't like it.
So I'm not looking for an accentuated treble but i'd like some more then the hd650.
I'm looking for a sweet sounding treble if that means anything to you. Like the hifiman re-zero.

Greetings :D

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #548 of 5,962
Quote:
I don't like the akg and beyer sound. The treble is too harsh.
I have owned a k550 and I didn't like it.
So I'm not looking for an accentuated treble but i'd like some more then the hd650.
I'm looking for a sweet sounding treble if that means anything to you. Like the hifiman re-zero.
Greetings
biggrin.gif

Well I suppose if the AKG's are too harsh then the Fidelio X1's might be the right choice for you. You aren't really going to know until you try them out. Another headphone that I can think of which I was considering before I saw the price of the X1's on Amazon Italy, are the Hifiman He-400s. I have heard a lot of great things about them but they are £400 so they are in an entirely different price category altogether.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #549 of 5,962
http://www.amazon.it/Philips-X1-00-Fidelio-Auricolari/dp/B008ZW2T7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356011342&sr=8-1

If ANYONE can buy this for me and ship them to me here in the USA (compensated of course), I will be eternally grateful.

I prefer dealing with someone with good rep+enough time spent on Head-fi.

For the sake of niceness and humanity. :wink:

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #550 of 5,962
Quote:
http://www.amazon.it/Philips-X1-00-Fidelio-Auricolari/dp/B008ZW2T7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356011342&sr=8-1
If ANYONE can buy this for me and ship them to me here in the USA (compensated of course), I will be eternally grateful.
I prefer dealing with someone with good rep+enough time spent on Head-fi.
For the sake of niceness and humanity.
wink.gif

Talk to [b]bizkid[/b]. I bought mine from him. He has a +5 feedback and is willing to do a forwarding service (as he wrote in this thread). My X1 arrived without problems.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #552 of 5,962
I can get them for 195 shipped here in the Netherlands. I could ship them to you. But I want to order them tonight. :)I think international shipment is 8,50 euro.

Edit:
I have an idea. There is a rule here in the netherlands that you an try out any item you ordered online for 7 working days. I find this a bit on the short side to test a headphone.
Well I tought that if I didn't like the headphone after some more days I'll tell you guys here and you can buy it from me. I'm very carefull with my stuff and won't take it outside so don't worry about that.
It's a win win situation actually. I can test the heaphone to it's fullest potential and you will receive a fully burned in heaphone for a cheaper price.

Well I hope I will like them, I think I will. And if that is not the case anyone of you will get a cheaper and burned in heapdhone. :wink:

Edit 2:
I've ordered them. Delivery time is a bit longer but I hope it'l be somewhere soon.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #553 of 5,962
Quote:

Enjoyed reading your review, makes the wait for my X1's all the harder, Philips have still not dispatched mine, so it looks like it will be a late Christmas present.

Just to say I ordered another pair of X1's as a present , from Phillips using the codes found . While their online site still tells me they are processing the order ,I emailed them and they said I should receive by 24th Dec.  Something wrong with the warehouse system they say ,so you might get yours as well??? I will also get some casback from Quidco as well . Really good saving overall !!!

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #554 of 5,962
What would be a good tube amp for the x1? Would the crack be a good choice? Or would the sense g3 modded be better. Maybe a little dot mk3 or a woo audio?

Please don't say woo audio, they are the most expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back