[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Oct 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #378 of 5,962
The amount of bass on the X1 is dependant on the output impedance of the amp you are driving it with . As the X1 is a low impedance phone, around 30 ohm, it sounds more bass controlled with a low impedance headphone amp.  I have recently purchase a Xcan v8 amp with around 2 ohm output impedance which I found a great match . While My SPL auditor with a 9 ohm output is somewhat less controlled in the bass area with the X1 but great with 300ohm HD650's and also brilliant with 600ohm Tesla T1's.

If you are a bass head however then don't worry about it and let them rip into the lower octaves with whatever you are using to drive your phones!!!

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #379 of 5,962
Bass-wise the X1's output a greater smack than the HD650's could but they don;t have the midbass laden veil of the 650's or even HD558;s (which are supposed to be neutral)! Only Senn I heard without a thick velvet layer of midbass was the HD205.

Bass on theX1's can be quite puzzling somtimes as there will be some tracks where I'm getting about the same amount of bass as the K701's but others where it feels like someone strapped a sub woofer to my head in comparison! Copious midbass isn;t a problem on these. Lower/upper bass is well integrated into the other frequencies as to not become a constant distraction ala Senn.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #380 of 5,962
I completely agree that these headphones are outstanding  not just at their price point  but compared with far more expensive models. 
They are certainly a step forward from the L1 which I found OK but bland. 
The X1s have the balance of frequencies  just right with realistic  detail without edge and a firm bass. They always sound clear and present the music accurately in a convincing acoustic. They are so good it is as though you are discovering the real acoustic nature of every track. 
I had recently purchased the overpriced Ultrasone Series 8 which can  be exceptionally detailed but always lean towards the over lit and edgy; their bass can be impressive but somehow not properly integrated. In comparison everything comes together musically with the X1s and I am finding it difficult to stop listening with them.
They are sensitive enough to use straight from an iPod but sound even better with an amp.
Phillips describe them as 'indoor' and I suppose they would be a bit big for travelling and of course they do leak sound being open backed. Perhaps Phillips mean they wouldn't take kindly to a rain storm but what headphones would !
Many have compared them with the classic Senn HD650s. Their mid realism is comparable but their bass is less bloated and the Senn treble veil is absent. They are far more comfortable. 
They are beautifully finished (as are the L1 and M1) although it is a pity there is no carrying case of any kind apart from the original cardboard box. They are exceptionally comfortable with soft enveloping ear cups and an AT style head band.They can easily be forgotten after five minutes. I have them on as I write and everything I hear is musical and enjoyable. 
I am intrigued that Phillips can produce something so good at this price point. Mine were £225 including carriage off eBay. As they say : why pay more ?  

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #381 of 5,962
Quote:

Phillips describe them as 'indoor' and I suppose they would be a bit big for travelling and of course they do leak sound being open backed. 

Do they leak as much as Grados?

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #384 of 5,962
Translated from the italian in an email from Amazon.it: "Estimated delivery date: November 5th 2012". 
eek.gif

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #388 of 5,962
Anyone have information on US availability?

http://www.accessoryjack.com/headphones/hifi/philips-fidelio-x1-high-fidelity-open-air-headphones-black.html

$439 after shipping.

I'd buy it if they had an Amazon listing. Seems a bit steep either way. $350 sounds more believable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back