[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 11, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #5,761 of 5,962
So Sorry If this is a painfully repetitious question, however…

I am debating between the purchase of the Phillips Fidelio X’s1 and the Fidelio X2’s…
…and am soliciting the input/advice of those of you who have listened to/owned(?) both phones… and would be willing to compare/contrast their sonic qualities…(particularly with regard to frequency curve/response)

My preferred sound signature is of a robust/full deep-bass/mid-bass, as well as a lush lower mid-range/mid-range, with an aversion to sibilance…

I plan on using one or the other of these models for semi-casual listening, as well as to talk/listen hands-free on telephones, and therefor will probably use them in conjunction with the V-MODA boom mike.

I am also concerned about the issues with the ear-pads staining and/or their detach-ability/non-detach-ability…and wondering if/how these issues have been resolved. 

I look forward to your input/feedback, and thank you in advance!

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #5,762 of 5,962

I am debating between the purchase of the Phillips Fidelio X’s1 and the Fidelio X2’s…
…and am soliciting the input/advice of those of you who have listened to/owned(?) both phones… and would be willing to compare/contrast their sonic qualities…(particularly with regard to frequency curve/response)

My preferred sound signature is of a robust/full deep-bass/mid-bass, as well as a lush lower mid-range/mid-range, with an aversion to sibilance…

I plan on using one or the other of these models for semi-casual listening, as well as to talk/listen hands-free on telephones, and therefor will probably use them in conjunction with the V-MODA boom mike.

I am also concerned about the issues with the ear-pads staining and/or their detach-ability/non-detach-ability…and wondering if/how these issues have been resolved. 

I can speak only to the X1 in terms of sound quality, but it does have very full bass without any sibilance, at least to me. I wouldn't say it has a lush midrange though, at least not on the equipment I listened to it on.

Here's the thing about the pads: for the X1, it was kind of a crapshoot. Some people got sets with pads that didn't leak dye (like me) and some people didn't. X1 pads were all glued, but with careful persistence, you can get them off. Dunno how you'd go about getting replacement pads though. Even for the X2, where some had glued pads and some didn't, I don't think Philips has official replacement pads for them either.

Realistically, to this day, everything out there for both headphones are really a crapshoot in terms of all the stuff you're asking about besides sound quality.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #5,763 of 5,962
For X2 there should be replacement pads available from philips official "shops" if You contact with guarantee/service department, at least in EU. X1 pads should be replaceable also with X2 pads. For me pads are not the issue with X1/X2... well only the ink dye problem but haven`t experienced it. X2 had much more problems with that than X1.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #5,765 of 5,962
  Price isn't quite what I was concerned too much about. I'll buy the $5 cable over the $100 cable any day of the week. But I was sort of confused about the explanation between the differences in the two cheaper cables they bought. More detail is good, but isn't more grain bad? Likewise, is harsh not a bad thing? They said that the $2 cable was better, but went on to say that there was more noise and grain which confused me as to the determination of "better" since I consider noise and graininess to be negative traits, grain being something that obscures details rather than bringing them out.

I was being a bit spastic with words sorry. I'm still experimenting with the cables, and what's more important than anything is that I'm learning for the first time in my life how much they can impart on the quality, and not just the quality, the characteristics of the sound. (heck, it's unrelated, but I changed the ethernet cable connected to my network player a few days ago and it solved all my network issues)

I guess I was trying to throw a bit of a curveball how a cleaner signal is not always better and you actually need a little grain to bring out the details similarly to how grain in film stock brings out detail. But I guess that is something that is better to properly discuss instead of making random and confusing statements, so sorry about that.

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #5,766 of 5,962
  I was being a bit spastic with words sorry. I'm still experimenting with the cables, and what's more important than anything is that I'm learning for the first time in my life how much they can impart on the quality, and not just the quality, the characteristics of the sound. (heck, it's unrelated, but I changed the ethernet cable connected to my network player a few days ago and it solved all my network issues)

I guess I was trying to throw a bit of a curveball how a cleaner signal is not always better and you actually need a little grain to bring out the details similarly to how grain in film stock brings out detail. But I guess that is something that is better to properly discuss instead of making random and confusing statements, so sorry about that.

Haha, don't worry about it, we're all here to learn.

I prefer not to have grain in my listening as I find it to rather obscure details or add details that aren't actually there. I've gotten tiny bits more of clarity and detail from silver/silver-plated headphone cables before because silver tends to add a little more treble without messing too much with other frequencies. But for the most part, I just get cables to fix any potential cable length issues I have. The X1 was a special case; I originally got a new cable because I didn't like how long the X1's cable was, but it also ended up making a difference in the sound.

I can see where you're coming from though with that film stock analogy. Too much smoothing and the fine details can get lost. But because audio deals with frequencies, I feel it doesn't translate the same way as something visual like a video or photo. I totally get what you're talking about since I do some amateur photo editing myself and when you do too much noise reduction to edit out the grain/noise, certain patterns and fine detail get smoothed over and the photo doesn't have the same look. But I personally don't find that to be the case with audio because you have very smooth sound that still has plenty of detail.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #5,768 of 5,962
Search this and another X1 thread about pads removal. Some have put even Beyer DT990/880 pads on them.
X1 and X2 pads should measure same. Difference is in locking pins used but they should be on same positions and fit on same locations as with X1 according to pics I`ve seen. Though, I haven`t seen anyone posted pics about X2 pads <> X1 pads. 
X1 pads are just using hot-glue as "extra" but can be removed easily if You know how. I have removed my X1 pads many times after getting it open from hot-glue without issues. Actually, I don`t really understand all the fuzz about changing pads - my X1 pads do not give out ink dye nor have they started to show wearing marks (except mem foam shape) after all the hours they have seen. But I know I can easily replace them with other pads if needed.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #5,769 of 5,962
  Search this and another X1 thread about pads removal. Some have put even Beyer DT990/880 pads on them.
X1 and X2 pads should measure same. Difference is in locking pins used but they should be on same positions and fit on same locations as with X1 according to pics I`ve seen. Though, I haven`t seen anyone posted pics about X2 pads <> X1 pads. 
X1 pads are just using hot-glue as "extra" but can be removed easily if You know how. I have removed my X1 pads many times after getting it open from hot-glue without issues. Actually, I don`t really understand all the fuzz about changing pads - my X1 pads do not give out ink dye nor have they started to show wearing marks (except mem foam shape) after all the hours they have seen. But I know I can easily replace them with other pads if needed.

Thanks, this is very reassuring for when the time comes for a change (of the the pads that is). The dye thing was a problem in the beginning but it's dyed out by now, heh.

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #5,770 of 5,962
Did a little experiment this morning at dawn:  hooked up my old X1, which had been gathering dust because
of too booming bass and bleeding into midrange, with used Toxic Cable Silver Poison cable; using M2s DAP
the sound was much better than stock cable and approached quality of using Zu Cable headphone cable,
making it sound good, but not great. Bass was still mushy and overriding.  THEN, put Aune B1 CLASS A
headphone amp in the power train.

WOW The X1 apparently craves that extra class A power, because with that cable in the system, and class A
amping (line input to the B1 from the DAP) the X1 became a totally different beast.  Bass was massive but controlled,
midranges clear and textured,  and treble sparkly.  A plus performance, Johnny Blue's Mixes sounded integrated
and musical, with textures i never heard before revealed by the combination of these ingredients.  Even Kirtans
sound like a "live performance" with bass not interfering with the delicate harmonies and overtones of sacred
music.....

Moral of the story: the X1s are quite capable of being musical and giving magic audio performance,but require
upgrade cabling, class A amplification and an excellent DAP source.. but then, hold on to your ears, they will
be singing......

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #5,771 of 5,962

I got a chance to spend the week with my friend's X2 (detachable pads, woox version) having only listened to it briefly in the past. I actually find myself preferring the X1, contrary to what a lot of people felt. The X2 does have a bit less of a V shape with more forward mids, but, the treble tuning on the X2 feels noticeably more uneven and artificial to me. The X2 and X1 aren't extremely different overall, and while the X2 is a bit less colored, they are both bassy, warm, fun headphones. I would probably recommend the X1 if treble sensitivity is an issue for you. The X1 has shimmer and sparkle, but it's not overly bright by any means. Something about the high end of the X2 feels off. I wish I could have an X2 with the X1's treble, but I'm perfectly happy with my X1 after getting some time with the X2 in. Just sounds more even and "right" to my ears. Anybody else feel like the X2 sounds a little more close to "audiophile" but less right to their ears than the X1?

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #5,772 of 5,962
To make a good headphone cable for the X1, CoiL recommended using "Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE Pro-patch Cable", right?
My question is if the above cable fits in the Neutrik Rean NYS231BG plugs. I don't have any experience in constructing cables but from the specs I see that the above cable has an overall diameter of 4.85mm but the Neutrik rean plugs accept cable up to 4mm. What plugs would be suitable for the Van Damme cable?

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #5,773 of 5,962
  ...woox version)...

There`s Your problem - woox version is supposedly different sounding than original X2, that`s why You are not hearing same things most ppl are raving about X2 and that`s why You like X1 more. Woox version is produced in different line: 
issues maybe be related to Gibson buying WOOX from Philips and now taking over the manufacturing of the product.

here`s more read about that subject: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3xhwmf/recent_philips_x2_buyers_beware_qc_issues/?st=iqnani5g&sh=2b2f0406
One guy from my local forum also got woox version and he didn`t like the sound and found them pretty mediocre, he sold them. 
Check into X2 thread about SQ and different production issues.

To make a good headphone cable for the X1, CoiL recommended using "Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE Pro-patch Cable", right?
My question is if the above cable fits in the Neutrik Rean NYS231BG plugs. I don't have any experience in constructing cables but from the specs I see that the above cable has an overall diameter of 4.85mm but the Neutrik rean plugs accept cable up to 4mm. What plugs would be suitable for the Van Damme cable?

Yes, I`m using Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE Pro-patch Cable which has smaller OD as usual cables. For plugs I use REAN (Neutrik) NYS231BG 3.5mm jack.
Like on this pic:

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #5,775 of 5,962
  There`s Your problem - woox version is supposedly different sounding than original X2, that`s why You are not hearing same things most ppl are raving about X2 and that`s why You like X1 more. Woox version is produced in different line: 

You have it backwards, Woox are the original, the newer ones are Gibson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back