[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Nov 6, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #5,701 of 5,962
  sorry to bump this thread up.
any suggestions on how to properly care for them?

especially on how to repair/prevent oxidation on the headphones and cleaning the pads?

Don't be sorry, this thread's here for a reason! How long have you been using yours? Because I haven't needed to worry about the pads yet and I've used mine for about 6 months. I feel like the pads should be good if you just keep a relatively clean head and don't throw them around on anything dirty. As far as oxidation, I don't really know what you're thinking about. The metal nature of the build? Cuz I haven't had any issues with that either. Don't get dirt and grime on them, maybe wipe down the metal with a cloth like once every month or so? Pretty much anything you'd do to take good care of any item: don't drop, wipe down every once in a while. People have shown that the pads are technically removable if you need to wash them, they're just glued in. I haven't needed to test those that though happily enough.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #5,702 of 5,962

Don't be sorry, this thread's here for a reason! How long have you been using yours? Because I haven't needed to worry about the pads yet and I've used mine for about 6 months. I feel like the pads should be good if you just keep a relatively clean head and don't throw them around on anything dirty. As far as oxidation, I don't really know what you're thinking about. The metal nature of the build? Cuz I haven't had any issues with that either. Don't get dirt and grime on them, maybe wipe down the metal with a cloth like once every month or so? Pretty much anything you'd do to take good care of any item: don't drop, wipe down every once in a while. People have shown that the pads are technically removable if you need to wash them, they're just glued in. I haven't needed to test those that though happily enough.

I think I have them for slightly more than a year now. I haven't been using them much (there would be months where I don't use them at all). The headphones are usually left hanging on my smaller screen (which acts like a stand)....
The thing is the metal bits kinda look slightly oxidised now (not sure if it's the climate where I'm at)....

what would be the best way to clean the pads though? - my ears are kinda sensitive so sometimes they will feel "stuffy" wearing the headphones

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #5,703 of 5,962

I think I have them for slightly more than a year now. I haven't been using them much (there would be months where I don't use them at all). The headphones are usually left hanging on my smaller screen (which acts like a stand)....
The thing is the metal bits kinda look slightly oxidised now (not sure if it's the climate where I'm at)....

what would be the best way to clean the pads though? - my ears are kinda sensitive so sometimes they will feel "stuffy" wearing the headphones

Hmm, mine haven't shown any signs of oxidation. Maybe just look into how to generally keep aluminum looking good? Cuz I think that's what they're made of. Honestly, I can't be sure about the pad thing. It could just be that they're feeling stuff due to the nature of being velour pads. If you're not going the route of completely taking off the pads (which I'm personally not doing cuz I'd probably mess it up :p), then maybe just take a damp paper town and scrub the pads that way, then let them air for a week?

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #5,704 of 5,962
Hello everyone.

I am sorry to bump this thread, but, I got these cans about 2 days ago. I've read the entire thread and I know this has been discused a million times. But, I have to ask.

I want to change the cable. Currently I'm using a cheap (CHEAP) mini plug 3.5 mm to RCA (I'm connecting the Headphones into a Creative SB X-FI Titanium HD)

But, I would love to have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm,

So, the question is. Which cable would you guys recommend me? V-Moda price is to high and it will end up in customs (Don't know if that's the correct translation for "Aduana") here in my country. (Argentina) And I would have to pay 20% more on top.
I have seen a couple in Amazon with free shipping, but, I don't know if they are any good.

This one, for example.

http://www.amazon.com/Plated-Tangle-Free-Auxiliary-Android-Smartphone/dp/B00KWR8ME2/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1446823453&sr=1-1&refinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin%3A3242350011%2Cp_72%3A1248879011

Can anyone, please, lend me a hand choosing it?
Also, be VERY aware. I'am not a "Head-fi" by any means. My knoledge is VERY limted.

Thanks for your time.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #5,705 of 5,962
Really pretty much any 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable will do. My cable is one from China that I bought on eBay. The one you have listed there from Amazon will work, the X1 doesn't have recessed sockets or any special mechanism. I say just go with whatever works for you. If buying that cable doesn't create any shipping hassles for you, then I don't see why not.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #5,706 of 5,962
  Really pretty much any 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable will do. My cable is one from China that I bought on eBay. The one you have listed there from Amazon will work, the X1 doesn't have recessed sockets or any special mechanism. I say just go with whatever works for you. If buying that cable doesn't create any shipping hassles for you, then I don't see why not.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, I settle for these.
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anker-3-5mm-Auxiliary-Audio-Cable-4ft-1-2m-AUX-Cable-for-Headphones-Car-Stereos-/221849199421?hash=item33a73e233d:g:bmQAAOSwgQ9VyJWm

Had to drop amazon, because Amazon does not ship to my city.... :frowning2:

I just tested how much Ω the 3.5 mm to RCA has/is.
It's 1.5Ω
Almost as high as the stock cable.

I have a 3.5mm cable from a crap Genius 2.1 system. It's 0.5Ω and it sounds so much better.
Problem is, it's faulty.

Thanks again!

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #5,707 of 5,962
  Thanks for the reply.

Ok, I settle for these.
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anker-3-5mm-Auxiliary-Audio-Cable-4ft-1-2m-AUX-Cable-for-Headphones-Car-Stereos-/221849199421?hash=item33a73e233d:g:bmQAAOSwgQ9VyJWm

Had to drop amazon, because Amazon does not ship to my city.... :frowning2:

I just tested how much Ω the 3.5 mm to RCA has/is.
It's 1.5Ω
Almost as high as the stock cable.

I have a 3.5mm cable from a crap Genius 2.1 system. It's 0.5Ω and it sounds so much better.
Problem is, it's faulty.

Thanks again!

Good luck! Keep enjoying the music!

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #5,709 of 5,962
Is there anyway to make these headphones more clampy on your head? I've had mine for about 2 yrs, and initially found them uncomfortable so I stretched them out a bit. I haven't used them for quite a while but now I find them too loose.

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #5,710 of 5,962
  Is there anyway to make these headphones more clampy on your head? I've had mine for about 2 yrs, and initially found them uncomfortable so I stretched them out a bit. I haven't used them for quite a while but now I find them too loose.

Maybe try the opposite of stretching? Like, maybe find a couple of heavy objects (something that wouldn't move from the headphones trying to spread out) and put these in between them and leave them like that for a week or two? Rinse and repeat until it's clampy enough. I'd figure if one could stretch them and have them hold that form, one should also be able to clamp them and have them hold that form
wink.gif
. Good luck!

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #5,712 of 5,962
I just got this headphones a couple weeks ago and I'm enjoying them so far. But the sound is a little unclear. I was wondering if the sound would become clearer if I bought the Soundblaster Z soundcard. I'm using the stock cable since I like how thick it is.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #5,713 of 5,962
The X1 doesn't require extra power to drive it but it DEFINITELY BENEFITS from it. I can't vouch for the soundblaster, but I know the stock cable is notorious for delivering less than accurate frequency responses. I actually just use mine for my 3DS since I've gotten new headphones for my desktop. As for the cable I've had good results with these if you're interested: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LTEUDO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #5,714 of 5,962
  I just got this headphones a couple weeks ago and I'm enjoying them so far. But the sound is a little unclear. I was wondering if the sound would become clearer if I bought the Soundblaster Z soundcard. I'm using the stock cable since I like how thick it is.

If you're running onboard audio from your PC, then getting a sound card would definitely be an improvement as I haven't heard an onboard chipset yet that actually sounds good. If you can spare the money, buying an external DAC and amp is the best choice, I believe the Fiio E10K can still be found fairly cheap on Amazon, haven't checked recently. Also replace the cable as @Alchemist007 recommended, I do also personally like the MediaBridge cable linked as I think they make pretty solid cables.

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #5,715 of 5,962
  If you're running onboard audio from your PC, then getting a sound card would definitely be an improvement as I haven't heard an onboard chipset yet that actually sounds good. If you can spare the money, buying an external DAC and amp is the best choice, I believe the Fiio E10K can still be found fairly cheap on Amazon, haven't checked recently. Also replace the cable as @Alchemist007 recommended, I do also personally like the MediaBridge cable linked as I think they make pretty solid cables.

+1. External DAC, an amp and a different cable. Then enjoy the X1 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back