[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Oct 12, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #5,041 of 5,962
The Aune X1 Pro does work with ASIO. I too had a similarly underwhelming experience until these folks set me straight and I took the time to setup ASIO and foobar2000. The sound "came alive" and you can notice an improvement without trying too hard. Having said that, I do agree with your assessment. This is not a good pairing. The damn AMP portion of the Aune X1 Pro kills it - its way too powerful for these cans. From what I can tell there is no way to adjust the gain like you can on the Aune T1. I wouldn't recommend this setup for that reason alone. 

I'll investigate what I did to get ASIO working a little later and get back to you. 

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #5,042 of 5,962
  And there might be Your "problem". Use ASIO4ALL. I know that many don`t hear any difference going from directsound to WASAPI/KSP/ASIO but for example with Aune T1 I heard noticeable difference when using ASIO. Also, have You tried different gain settings with Aune X1? For example I`m using T1 @ mid gain (+10dB) due to ~400mA output instead 0dB gain which outputs 1000mA. At mid-gain everything is tighter and punchier, with 0 gain it sounds littlebit "lazy" with Fidelio X1.

And btw, do You have Aune X1 pro or old version Aune X1 ?

I sent it on to the next in line, but I was not impressed. That doesn't justify the price tag for me. Thanks for your help, though :)
If it means anything, there is ZERO difference for me using native Creative ASIO drivers...

It was a MK2

The Aune X1 Pro does work with ASIO. I too had a similarly underwhelming experience until these folks set me straight and I took the time to setup ASIO and foobar2000. The sound "came alive" and you can notice an improvement without trying too hard. Having said that, I do agree with your assessment. This is not a good pairing. The damn AMP portion of the Aune X1 Pro kills it - its way too powerful for these cans. From what I can tell there is no way to adjust the gain like you can on the Aune T1. I wouldn't recommend this setup for that reason alone. 

I'll investigate what I did to get ASIO working a little later and get back to you. 

That's too bad! I have already sent it on to the next (I had it for a week and really tried to like it)

Oct 12, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #5,043 of 5,962
+1 these are easily overpowered.  My pav2 with vita are a great combo.  Even my Emotiva xda2 can bloat the x1's.  I believe this is what Tyll was refering to when he said the x2 does not work well with tube amps.  Just too much power for them.  I bet that is why the sound guys at Philips included that silly cable with the x1.

Oct 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #5,046 of 5,962
  +1 these are easily overpowered.  My pav2 with vita are a great combo.  Even my Emotiva xda2 can bloat the x1's.  I believe this is what Tyll was refering to when he said the x2 does not work well with tube amps.  Just too much power for them.  I bet that is why the sound guys at Philips included that silly cable with the x1.

I think it has to do more with output impedance and damping problems of tube amps than with output power (can impedance should be at least 8 times output impedance of amp)

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #5,047 of 5,962

I think it has to do more with output impedance and damping problems of tube amps than with output power (can impedance should be at least 8 times output impedance of amp)

He was definitely talking about the impedance mismatch with OTL tube amps and the X2. He even mentioned keeping the HD 600 on the wall because it matched better with this kind of amp... due to its high impedance.

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #5,051 of 5,962
So if I had to choose between a the Hifimediy UX1 and FiiO e17, the better choice would probably not be the lower impedance one?

I dont really know much about those 2 amps but in general the lower impedance one would be better, what i meant was the difference isnt enough to warrant spending a lot of money on. If those 2 amps are similar prices get the low impedance on and also for the sake of a tenner get lower impedance cable for your headphones aswell such as the fisual s-flex. You will probably notice more of a difference from the better cable as the the impedance of the stock cable can be high.

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #5,052 of 5,962
  I dont really know much about those 2 amps but in general the lower impedance one would be better, what i meant was the difference isnt enough to warrant spending a lot of money on. If those 2 amps are similar prices get the low impedance on and also for the sake of a tenner get lower impedance cable for your headphones aswell such as the fisual s-flex. You will probably notice more of a difference from the better cable as the the impedance of the stock cable can be high.

Well, the FiiO is double the price, but I'm expecting it to go on sale in time for Christmas (has done it before). The Sabre does, however, use the same DAC chip as the O2 with a pretty good TI amp, so I guess it will still sound better (even with 10 ohm output resistance). I don't expect async/adaptive matters much in USB, unless you have hyper-ears and a bigger budget.

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #5,053 of 5,962

Well, the FiiO is double the price, but I'm expecting it to go on sale in time for Christmas (has done it before). The Sabre does, however, use the same DAC chip as the O2 with a pretty good TI amp, so I guess it will still sound better (even with 10 ohm output resistance). I don't expect async/adaptive matters much in USB, unless you have hyper-ears and a bigger budget.

Sounds like you would be best going for the sabre, that would be my choice anyway. Iv'e always heard good things about them and always thought the fiio stuff to be over hyped.

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #5,054 of 5,962
Picked up a cable at Walmart while grabbing some groceries. Definitely noticed an improvement. Placebo? I don't know but vocals and highs are a tiny bit more clear to me. Very nice.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Griffin-3-Flat-Auxiliary-Audio-Cable/17188961

I don't know the resistance of this cable. How do I check?

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #5,055 of 5,962
Here`s how to check and other users measurements: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/4320#post_10475263

Users who are viewing this thread

Back