[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 24, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #4,653 of 5,962
Well, I already own the 558 and 598 but there's no big difference there. I felt like the Fidelio would compliment my other open headphone like this

Q701,- uppermids and midrange, analytical, bass light HP

HD650 - warm, laid back HP

X1 - bassy, movie theater like, sparkly, not quite harsh, but fun hp

I didn't want to go for a Better because of their harsh treble. I've heard the dt880 is quite the boring headphone.

The DT880 is somewhat analytical but it isn't boring. Treble emphasis doesn't equal a lack of fun. That said, I think your comparisons are apt. They'll all go well with one-another. I'm not sure what the differences between the HD 558/598 and HD 650 are like.
its not that fun when you can only listen to a few albums because treble emphasized headphones are really revealing.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #4,655 of 5,962

+1. I want a comparison, as well, since I've eyeballed the HiFiMAN HE-400 and Sennheiser HD 600. Can't decide between them.

I had the HE400, didn't like the weird upper mids and the dark and peaky treble, so I sold it.  The X1 has more natural sounding mids and treble but the bass is looser than the HE400, which has much flatter but deep and thick bass.  The HE400 also has a much narrower soundstage.

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #4,657 of 5,962
 Originally Posted by Dragonzeanse 

+1. I want a comparison, as well, since I've eyeballed the HiFiMAN HE-400 and Sennheiser HD 600. Can't decide between them.

Originally Posted by Za Warudo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had the HE400, didn't like the weird upper mids and the dark and peaky treble, so I sold it.  The X1 has more natural sounding mids and treble but the bass is looser than the HE400, which has much flatter but deep and thick bass.  The HE400 also has a much narrower soundstage.

I am lovin' the X1 with my Fiio E17 out of my laptop...but I keep getting this feeling that there is something still missing.  If I could have the X1 but with more presence on the mids, that would be my next headphone...does such a thing exist???  I've also been eyeballing HD600 and HE-400 for some time...how would these stack perform compared to what i'm looking for?  Any suggestions?  Or should I be looking at another piece of the equipment to add/upgrade?

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #4,658 of 5,962

I am lovin' the X1 with my Fiio E17 out of my laptop...but I keep getting this feeling that there is something still missing.  If I could have the X1 but with more presence on the mids, that would be my next headphone...does such a thing exist???  I've also been eyeballing HD600 and HE-400 for some time...how would these stack perform compared to what i'm looking for?  Any suggestions?  Or should I be looking at another piece of the equipment to add/upgrade?

You might like the HD650, though a E17 won't be enough to get it to sound good enough. 

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #4,659 of 5,962
Hey guys, so I like the sound of the X1, it's just that the fit is awkward in such a way, that the left driver doesn't sit in the same way as the right driver, which in turns gives weird imaging on the left side of the driver, and whatever I try, they can't get to fit ''normal''.

Who else has expierenced this problem?

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #4,660 of 5,962
Actually I also have sometimes this kind of "problem" but I thought it was only because of my small head shape and those relatively hard memory-foam pads not "melting" down against my head so well as I would wish (that`s why I`m making new softer angled dark-brown velour pads for my X1
biggrin.gif
). I twisted my X1 headband and holded it in twisted position so it would give little more pressure to the left pad front edge, after that it has no problem. I`m guessing this is more of personal head shape/size "problem".

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #4,661 of 5,962
  Actually I also have sometimes this kind of "problem" but I thought it was only because of my small head shape and those relatively hard memory-foam pads not "melting" down against my head so well as I would wish (that`s why I`m making new softer angled dark-brown velour pads for my X1
biggrin.gif
). I twisted my X1 headband and holded it in twisted position so it would give little more pressure to the left pad front edge, after that it has no problem. I`m guessing this is more of personal head shape/size "problem".

It's such a same, that this needs to happen. It really is, because after some burn in, they sound fantastic, even with onboard audio.

Very clear, with very little sibilance with a good amount of bass.

Jun 28, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #4,662 of 5,962
For me, there`s no problem. And I would have done new pads anyway :wink:

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #4,663 of 5,962
  Hey guys, so I like the sound of the X1, it's just that the fit is awkward in such a way, that the left driver doesn't sit in the same way as the right driver, which in turns gives weird imaging on the left side of the driver, and whatever I try, they can't get to fit ''normal''.

Who else has expierenced this problem?

I have a small head and I'm not having this issue. But what CoiL said about the earpads is true, they need to be plusher. 

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #4,664 of 5,962
I've had these for some time now, and maybe my hair is weird or something, but they itch so much. Anyone else experience this? I really love the sound so it's such a shame

I have had them feel itchy once, when my head was hot. Just came from outside and my head was borderline sweaty. Any other time they have been very comfortable. If I am using the headphones for 3 hours plus they start to feel tight. I have not bent the top band or adjusted size in any way. I would consider my head on the larger size.

Overall very comfortable headphones!

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #4,665 of 5,962
Anyone with experience with Phillips warranty? For some reason my right ear driver is about half as loud as the left and lacks some of the details. I am currently counteracting this by adjusting balance. I saw Phillips has 12 month warranty and want to get it taken care of but their website certainly isn't helpful or provide contact method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back