[New] Philips Fidelio X1
May 26, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #4,486 of 5,962
  Good night, 

Finally bought the fidelio x1. I liked the phone, but one thing is driving me intrigued. 

I absolutely could not hear any difference between the original x1 cable and other cables I tested here. 

Everyone here who tested another cable detect differences? Tested with some songs and all seemed the same to me, whether with the original cable or another.

Sorry for my english,its not my first language.

Tests have yielded results suggesting that the Fidelio X1's stock cable has a high resistance compared to other cables. It doesn't matter though, if you're running off of a powerful source like a laptop or PC. Maybe if you're using an iPod or something like that.

I don't buy that it makes a difference; we're talking, like, not even an ohm apart from a V-Moda cable. I haven't tested it, but I highly doubt it matters.

May 26, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #4,487 of 5,962

Tests have yielded results suggesting that the Fidelio X1's stock cable has a high resistance compared to other cables. It doesn't matter though, if you're running off of a powerful source like a laptop or PC. Maybe if you're using an iPod or something like that.

I don't buy that it makes a difference; we're talking, like, not even an ohm apart from a V-Moda cable. I haven't tested it, but I highly doubt it matters.

True, it can be. I just tested it with a FiiO e17, i did not tested it with another source.

May 26, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #4,490 of 5,962
  I heard 0 differences changing cables but maybe it s just because i m using a mediocre laptop pc. No idea.

Texugo how that fiio e17 performs compared to your pc soundcard? 

My sound card is onboard, then it is not a fair comparison. The FiiO e17 improves sound in every way. 

So for the record, I tested the  cables in the onboard soundcard and the nexus 4 too, still could not hear a difference between cables.

May 27, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #4,491 of 5,962
There might be many differences - source files, DAC, Amp, personal hearing differences etc. There are many ppl hearing difference in clarity and bass/kick tightness while others don`t detect any difference. Also let Your X1 burn-in for at least 2 weeks.

For reference about stock cable impedance: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/4320#post_10475263

My ears can detect difference between stock and custom cable quite easily (I have very sensitive hearing).

May 27, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #4,492 of 5,962
  Well, "better" is subjective. I would definitely wait until your X1's arrive and you've broken them in properly. 

I'm using a Sound Blaster Z with my X1's currently and it sounds quite good. If you put the card into "Stereo Direct" mode it sounds very good. For electronic music this is a good combination and the bass is insane! I'm just frustrated with the quirks of the sound card - maybe its a driver issue. The latest version of the drivers are buggy. I suggest you download version 1.00.16.

Since I game quite a bit I want the virtual surround sound that the card provides - this means putting the drivers into "headphone" mode, which automatically sets windows to virtual 5.1 surround. If you listen to reference music you can tell that this does something to the music when played back. There are subtle imperfections that kinda bug me. To remedy this, if you're listening to music you can put the card into "stereo direct" mode.. this will give you accurate sound that's untouched for music. However, switching between the two causes the driver to crash and you have to restart the PC to fix it... It also resets the volume to 100% every time you change modes... which will damage your headphones if you accidentally leave them plugged in. Normal listening volume is like 9% with this combination to give you an idea. 

When you do get your headphones (and you've let them break in for a week or 2), try listening to the american beauty soundtrack - that's a very good track to play around with the different settings to see how it behaves.  

I just got my headphones.

They are ok, but not such a difference between the 80€ QPAD, which is made by Beyodynamics. Also I can set my Headphones to Stereo Direct.

I am considiring to buy the Asus Phoebus, which is one of the best cards you can get

May 27, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #4,493 of 5,962
  Any one know the difference between x1/28 & x1 ?

The Philips Fidelio X1/28 is the designation for USA/Canada.  The X1/00 is European stock.

May 29, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #4,495 of 5,962
Also interested about that combination alongside to DX50. Probably going to get one of those two soon but also need more comments how they pair with X1.

May 29, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #4,498 of 5,962
I just got my X1's in. Immediately threw the stock cable back in the box, as it was making static in my music. Used the media bridge cable and crisis averted. I will give it time to "burn in." I can say right now, get a different cable when you order them. The X1s obviously have better bass than my AD700s but the AD700s seem to have more sound stage and seem idk all the jargon...more vibrant in the mids and highs. 

Honestly though, I think what I'm missing is a proper amp/dac, and of course a set of cans for them. 
Sometime in the future, I will invest. Just drove me crazy not having any bass, now the mids and highs seem quieter compared to the AD700s.
Will give them time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back