[New] Philips Fidelio X1
May 23, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #4,473 of 5,962
Wildgift, what DAC, source or amp are You using with Your X1? Stock cable? Share some more detailed impressions :wink:

May 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #4,476 of 5,962

Wildgift, what DAC, source or amp are You using with Your X1? Stock cable? Share some more detailed impressions
wink.gif

Topping vx 1, MacBook Pro, stock cable. With lossless files I am blown away by the sheer transparency. And so comfortable. Much better than the L1s.

My ELE EL-D02 DAC/Amp has same PCM-2704 DAC chip and I agree - it fits very good with X1 and rock/metal music. 
You should try better cable, possible improvement in bass tightness/kick and clarity.

May 24, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #4,478 of 5,962
If portability isn`t necessary and You need to use it as USB DAC only, then there are probably other options to consider. 
And why not cheaper DX50 which should be quite neutral sounding and X1 should give this combination nice warm touch and bass "boost".
Don`t know though, my thoughts are based on reviews and impressions, don`t have experience with iBasso unfortunately but also considering to go mobile and maybe getting DX50 or FiiO X3/X5.

May 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #4,479 of 5,962
Well, having the option to unplug it and use it as a player while laying on my sofa or outdoor pairing it with another model of headphones, would be awesome. I also have an iphone 4 but, for sure, those kind of daps sound better.
I have no chances to find a place here where to try those kind of models, only thing i can do is check online reviews and based on my readings looks like the dx90 is much better then the dx50. The Fiio X5 also sounds nice but i prefer the Ibasso aesthetic.

What s really hard to realized is how it would pair with an headphone like the X1.

May 24, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #4,480 of 5,962
  I personally think the X1 is picky with what you feed it, both from an amp and DAC perspective. 

I've been doing a comparison with 3 $200 DAC/amp solutions for a couple of weeks now in the form of the FiiO E17/E09k, Schiit M&M and the Aune X1 Pro. Every one of them sound different to one another and the Fidelio X1 varies from all of them too.

The FiiO stack sounded the most veiled, laid back, and somehow... lack of dynamics with the X1, at least in comparison to the Schiit M&M and Aune X1 Pro. I don't like how the FiiO stack sounds with the X1, the warmish signature doesn't help with the borderline nearly bloated bass of the X1. Sure the E17 can be used to EQ the bass down and tighten it up a little bit, but then you lose that immersiveness that the X1 is so known for.

Schiit M&M on the other hand balances thing better, it gives more life into the mids which is nice. The soundstage widens a little more, the bass more controlled, tighter in response, more layered, better textured. I like how the M&M sounds with the X1, but there's still that veil, that laid back feeling on the X1.

The Aune X1 Pro then, completely gives me all I ever wanted in the X1 before... it becomes more aggresive, the bass tightens up so well and rarely ever (at least to my ears) bleed into the mids anymore. Immersiveness is still there, the mids became forward enough without being in your face. The soundstage while being ever so slightly narrower than the other 2 stacks, is IMO not an issue considering the extra details in the mids and even more energy going into the treble. It gives the X1 a lot of life, that laid-back feeling is toned down signficantly but yet nothing sounds fatiguing. It's the sort of dynamic punch you get from an AKG Annies, but with more bass.

I understand that the X1 was originally designed to be a beautiful, immersive bass driven open dynamic headphone with a laid-back signature to it. But because of this, the X1 cannot truly become a very well-rounded headphone and it's also a reason why there are half as many users wishing that the bass would be slightly toned down and being tighter.

The Aune X1 Pro is IMO, the best pairing with the Fidelio X1 I've heard in the $200 price range.  Some may even say that I'm effectively just coloring the sound of the X1 (lol I would if there was hardware EQ controls, but there isn't), but whatever... it's not like the X1 sounds like an entirely different headphone. The X1 is still the X1 regardless of the pairing, many of its flavor remains, but it's just much more balanced with the Aune X1 Pro. 

Thanks for the comparison. Where did you purchase your Aune X1 Pro if you don't mind me asking? After reading your review I think I'm going in that direction...

I recently purchased a Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card and I've been nothing but frustrated with the sound it provides (and that it defaults to 100% volume when you change settings... I'm afraid I'll accidentally blow the drivers). 

May 24, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #4,482 of 5,962
  Guys, Do I need a dac for better sound on the pc?

I am gaming and listening to electro. My X1 will arive soon(monday I thin) and I am currently owning a Creative Sound Blaster Z.

Well, "better" is subjective. I would definitely wait until your X1's arrive and you've broken them in properly. 

I'm using a Sound Blaster Z with my X1's currently and it sounds quite good. If you put the card into "Stereo Direct" mode it sounds very good. For electronic music this is a good combination and the bass is insane! I'm just frustrated with the quirks of the sound card - maybe its a driver issue. The latest version of the drivers are buggy. I suggest you download version 1.00.16.

Since I game quite a bit I want the virtual surround sound that the card provides - this means putting the drivers into "headphone" mode, which automatically sets windows to virtual 5.1 surround. If you listen to reference music you can tell that this does something to the music when played back. There are subtle imperfections that kinda bug me. To remedy this, if you're listening to music you can put the card into "stereo direct" mode.. this will give you accurate sound that's untouched for music. However, switching between the two causes the driver to crash and you have to restart the PC to fix it... It also resets the volume to 100% every time you change modes... which will damage your headphones if you accidentally leave them plugged in. Normal listening volume is like 9% with this combination to give you an idea. 

When you do get your headphones (and you've let them break in for a week or 2), try listening to the american beauty soundtrack - that's a very good track to play around with the different settings to see how it behaves.  

May 24, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #4,483 of 5,962
I also joined the X1 party, having a Fidelio M1 for portable use already.
Both sound great paired with an IFI iDSD Nano, easy to drive to uncomfortable loudness.
Have replaced the X1 stock cable with a 2M delyCON cable from Amazon just for having a 3.5mm jack which is less stressfull for the 3.5mm headphone socket on the i|DSD. 

May 25, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #4,484 of 5,962
  Thanks for the comparison. Where did you purchase your Aune X1 Pro if you don't mind me asking? After reading your review I think I'm going in that direction...

I recently purchased a Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card and I've been nothing but frustrated with the sound it provides (and that it defaults to 100% volume when you change settings... I'm afraid I'll accidentally blow the drivers). 

I live in Malaysia so there is a local dealer than sells the Aune X1 Pro here - http://www.lelong.com.my/aune-x1-pro-dac-headphone-amp-pre-amp-24bit-192-khz-dsd-starspicker-143309840-2015-01-Sale-P.htm

There's a reason why we use a dedicated amp with any sort of soundcard. It's simple, you always want the volume from Windows/soundcard to be at 100% and you control the volume through an external amp. That's what I'm doing and if you search the Creative SBZ/Zx/ZxR thread, that's what everyone is doing there too.

As for playing music, I always set my music player (MusicBee) to playback in WASAPI/ASIO. Doesn't matter what the soundcard is set to, it'll always bypass the DSP/EQ/other non-sensical enhancements.

May 26, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #4,485 of 5,962
Good night, 

Finally bought the fidelio x1. I liked the phone, but one thing is driving me intrigued. 

I absolutely could not hear any difference between the original x1 cable and other cables I tested here. 

Everyone here who tested another cable detect differences? Tested with some songs and all seemed the same to me, whether with the original cable or another.

Sorry for my english,its not my first language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back