[New] Philips Fidelio X1
May 17, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #4,441 of 5,962
  I still recommend to measure impedance of those cheap cables before recommending to others. artheo, can You give us measurements of those two replacement cables? Especially interested about that kabeldirekt one.

May I know what you use to measure the impedance of the audio cable?

May 18, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #4,444 of 5,962

I still recommend to measure impedance of those cheap cables before recommending to others. artheo, can You give us measurements of those two replacement cables? Especially interested about that kabeldirekt one.

May I know what you use to measure the impedance of the audio cable?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/4320#post_10475263

May 18, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #4,445 of 5,962
Thanks, Coil.

May 18, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #4,446 of 5,962
It's safe to say the X1 stomp the DT770/80 into the ground repeatedly and then finish them off with a curb stomp. They are well worth the $200+ I spent on them. They out perform a lot of cans in the $200 bracket.

After extended listening with the L1 I found it to be well worth it's price as well. They are easily worth $150.

May 18, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #4,447 of 5,962
  It's safe to say the X1 stomp the DT770/80 into the ground repeatedly and then finish them off with a curb stomp.

I've heard the 770's and they have a cleaner, faster sound, with a fuller, wetter bass... I preferred the 770's in many ways. The X1's are good, but have some downfalls.

May 19, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #4,448 of 5,962
  I've heard the 770's and they have a cleaner, faster sound, with a fuller, wetter bass... I preferred the 770's in many ways. The X1's are good, but have some downfalls.

I also have the 770/250 and the X1 and I use both, just for different music genre. I agree with you, 770 has better bass but the X1 is also great just to sit and relax while listening.

May 19, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #4,449 of 5,962
I personally think the X1 is picky with what you feed it, both from an amp and DAC perspective. 

I've been doing a comparison with 3 $200 DAC/amp solutions for a couple of weeks now in the form of the FiiO E17/E09k, Schiit M&M and the Aune X1 Pro. Every one of them sound different to one another and the Fidelio X1 varies from all of them too.

The FiiO stack sounded the most veiled, laid back, and somehow... lack of dynamics with the X1, at least in comparison to the Schiit M&M and Aune X1 Pro. I don't like how the FiiO stack sounds with the X1, the warmish signature doesn't help with the borderline nearly bloated bass of the X1. Sure the E17 can be used to EQ the bass down and tighten it up a little bit, but then you lose that immersiveness that the X1 is so known for.

Schiit M&M on the other hand balances thing better, it gives more life into the mids which is nice. The soundstage widens a little more, the bass more controlled, tighter in response, more layered, better textured. I like how the M&M sounds with the X1, but there's still that veil, that laid back feeling on the X1.

The Aune X1 Pro then, completely gives me all I ever wanted in the X1 before... it becomes more aggresive, the bass tightens up so well and rarely ever (at least to my ears) bleed into the mids anymore. Immersiveness is still there, the mids became forward enough without being in your face. The soundstage while being ever so slightly narrower than the other 2 stacks, is IMO not an issue considering the extra details in the mids and even more energy going into the treble. It gives the X1 a lot of life, that laid-back feeling is toned down signficantly but yet nothing sounds fatiguing. It's the sort of dynamic punch you get from an AKG Annies, but with more bass.

I understand that the X1 was originally designed to be a beautiful, immersive bass driven open dynamic headphone with a laid-back signature to it. But because of this, the X1 cannot truly become a very well-rounded headphone and it's also a reason why there are half as many users wishing that the bass would be slightly toned down and being tighter.

The Aune X1 Pro is IMO, the best pairing with the Fidelio X1 I've heard in the $200 price range.  Some may even say that I'm effectively just coloring the sound of the X1 (lol I would if there was hardware EQ controls, but there isn't), but whatever... it's not like the X1 sounds like an entirely different headphone. The X1 is still the X1 regardless of the pairing, many of its flavor remains, but it's just much more balanced with the Aune X1 Pro. 

May 19, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #4,450 of 5,962
K612 is a beast of a headphone under $200 IMO. I owned the X1 as well but for me, the K612 gets the nod for being overall the better HP.
Or rather more suited to my neutral, all-round preferences.

May 19, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #4,451 of 5,962
Interesting reviews on the pairings. My new ifi iDSD will arrive tomorrow. Will try it out with X1 and see how it turns out.

May 19, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #4,452 of 5,962
hk6230, You don`t like X1 with Aune T1? Or You haven`t found good matching tube yet?

May 19, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #4,453 of 5,962
I'm not sure why I kept my T1 away. Somehow I found my current setup using DacMagic 100 -> iTube -> SS Amp w/ HP out -> X1 sounded better to my ears. And, I'm a bit lazy to roll tube now. I bought iDSD for my traveling need, using my Galaxy S4 as source to iDSD to HP. And at the same time can team up with iTube at home for DSD music. I wish I know how to replace the T1's internal capacitors like you. :frowning2:

May 19, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #4,454 of 5,962
I just got my X1 today, they sound great, i like them better then the AKG K702, those had a bigger sound stage, but i didnt like there vocal presentation, the X1 vocals are much better, and i like the bass on these, there great for Rap.

May 19, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #4,455 of 5,962
Can You describe more how vocal presentation on X1 is better for You compared to K702 ? 

Also, one negative little thingy I experienced with X1 - those little silver cup side indicator rings (L/R) are made of plastic and are glued. I managed somehow to grab my X1
in a way that one of those indicator rings came off, quite easily. Good thing is - it is easy to glue back. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back