[New] Philips Fidelio X1
May 12, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #4,401 of 5,962
Thanks! Sure, I just need some more headtime with them
smily_headphones1.gif

Sweet! I look forward to it! 

May 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #4,402 of 5,962

Welcome, looking at your sig, I'd love to read some comparisons between the X1s and the other cans you have! 

Thanks! Sure, I just need some more headtime with them
smily_headphones1.gif

Be sure You let them burn-in for at least 1 week (2 weeks recommended) and also recommend to measure stock cable impedances and change to better cable if needed. And littlebit amping also improves sound.

May 12, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #4,403 of 5,962
Be sure You let them burn-in for at least 1 week (2 weeks recommended) and also recommend to measure stock cable impedances and change to better cable if needed. And littlebit amping also improves sound.

They're used so no need for burn-in (and I'm more "brain" burn-in believer anyway) and I've got a V-Moda cable too and I'm running them through the Aune T1 (but they sound just as good right from the iPod) :)

May 12, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #4,404 of 5,962
Hmmm... I`m running them through Aune T1 with +10db gain and they are definitely better than @ 0 gain or with iPad. iPod is different of course. But also with Android phone (no effects or EQ) they sound noticeably less accurate, clear and tight. 
Btw, what tube are You using?

May 12, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #4,405 of 5,962
Hmmm... I`m running them through Aune T1 with +10db gain and they are definitely better than @ 0 gain or with iPad. iPod is different of course. But also with Android phone (no effects or EQ) they sound noticeably less accurate, clear and tight. 

By definition it shouldn't have any difference but volume (SPL). But I didn't really compare both gain levels.

I'm using stock. I want to get used to its sound first before moving to another one :p

May 12, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #4,406 of 5,962
Changing gain makes difference to sound also, not just volume lvl. On same vol. level +10dB is tighter/controlled sounding with more "juice". Try it out :wink: Btw, there are not 2 but 3 gain levels on Aune T1 - 0dB, +10dB and +16dB.

Pity You have stock tube - it`s not good match for X1 imho. 

May 12, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #4,407 of 5,962
Alright, but if it does change the sound, it was bad implemented (design of the amp) IMO.

I'm not too picky with amps, can't comment much about synergy yet.

May 12, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #4,408 of 5,962
I really do not care if it`s badly implemented or not. All I care is sound what comes out of it and to me personally using +10dB gain has some improvement :wink: 
This thingy is anyway cheap and it exceeds it`s price many times. Only thing I cared about was cheap capacitors which I changed for quality ones (cheap to do) and it changed sound noticeably, making amp portion and over-all sound even more better (better clarity/transparency, smoother "boosted" mids and tighter bass& kick). Stock 6922EH tube has loose bass, somewhat "recessed" neutral mids and extended sparkly highs - all this doesn`t match good with X1 imo. For X1 You should get a tube with rich "boosted" mids, little smoothed highs and tight bass & kick. But this all is my subjective opinion of course. But still, Mike @ headfonia review is also on similar opinion about X1 amp matching: 
Another comparison that I can think of is actually the Shure SRH1440/1840 headphones. When I reviewed them, these open-back headphones from Shure were almost the perfect upgrades to the HD650 if not for their weak bass impact. Now that the X1 is here, it would be even harder for me to go back to the Shures. The 1840 is still more refined, and the mids and highs are smoother, but I find that a good tube amp can help the X1 in those departments. 

The key, is to find an amp with a smooth top end and a full midrange. This headphone has a good speed and attack by default, so I won’t be needing a solid state. What it needs, however is a little smoother treble and a little boost in the mids body. The ALO Pan Am is the best pairing I’ve heard with the X1 especially with the smooth Siemens tube upgrade. The Bottlehead Crack, somehow, quite decent but not quite the knock out that I find it to be with the 650. Portaphile’s 627 with its smooth sounding mids and relaxed treble is a very nice match.

Though Aune T1 is not tube amp, it affects sound with tube buffer similar way and I totally agree with his opinion.

But it`s getting too offtopic already. Keep us updated with Your X1 impressions :wink:

May 12, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #4,409 of 5,962

Still undecided between aune t1 and schiit vali for my amp..have any opinions? thanks

May 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #4,410 of 5,962
Sorry can`t help, have no other experience beside T1 amp (except cheap ELE EL-D02 dac/amp which suits ok with X1). But what DAC are You using? Or You don`t have DAC and want only amp? I personally, based on user impressions and reviews, would go with T1 if You don`t have DAC. But then again, without changing Aune T1 capacitors, amp portion might sound littlebit bright-sided. If You want only amp, then I would look towards Darkvoice 336se probably. But I really can`t recommend something I do not have experience with. I guess You have to do Your own research or if You have chance to try something on local shop or friends gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back