[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Mar 21, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #1,021 of 5,962
I own the Fidelio X1 and like them very much.
Has anyone a recommendation for a more or less affordable 3,5mm cable with good quality?

(not sure if it makes a difference in sound quality, but if it's not too expensive, why not give a try...?)

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #1,024 of 5,962
Your V-moda cable measured 1.5 ohm? I never got anywhere near that high of a reading from mine... Both of mine were closer to half an ohm, other cables I had measured even lower. What kinda DMM you using?

Did it end up sounding any different than the stock cable? I can't remember if you ever posted after getting it, or if I read it...

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #1,025 of 5,962
Quote:
I own the Fidelio X1 and like them very much.
Has anyone a recommendation for a more or less affordable 3,5mm cable with good quality?

(not sure if it makes a difference in sound quality, but if it's not too expensive, why not give a try...?)

I use this cable with the X1 and other cans and works great.  

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B004LU1U2M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363908383&sr=8-2&keywords=mediabridge+audio+cable

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #1,028 of 5,962
always want to try these, but 300$ for a Philips? probably no.

Why not? Philips' current lineup is actually pretty solid, top to bottom, from the X1 all the way down to the $35-55 Downtown (with 3-4 models in between).

They've even got some pretty decent IEM. Most of the Fidelio line looks better built than your average plasticky Sennheiser, non-replaceable pads on the X1 aside...

Philips is one of the stronger mainstream brands right now IMO.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #1,029 of 5,962
Quote:
For serious. These are excellent mid-fi cans. If you like a warm tilt on the HD650 these are it.

and honestly...the build and comfort...wipes the floor with anything else Ive yet to put on my head!

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #1,031 of 5,962
Quote:
Your V-moda cable measured 1.5 ohm? I never got anywhere near that high of a reading from mine... Both of mine were closer to half an ohm, other cables I had measured even lower. What kinda DMM you using?

Did it end up sounding any different than the stock cable? I can't remember if you ever posted after getting it, or if I read it...

I didn't try it myself but someone elses measured 1.5 ohms, therefore I didn't take the trouble to buy the cable. I don't plan to in the near feature, i'm going to make some diy amps first.

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #1,032 of 5,962
Ah, ok... I'm not sure how any cable that's actually working can measure that high tbh, it just doesn't line up with basic physics; and most DMM shouldn't really be able to reliably measure this kinda thing anyway... I got ~0.5 ohm off mine and I think even that's off. 6ft of 22 AWG copper wire should be around 0.1ohm at most (it's like 0.016/ft).

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #1,033 of 5,962
I don't know really, i'm not a pro or anything. The multimeters have some internal resistance themselves which you should substract. I do know that /i'm first going to spend the money where it really matters. Maybe if I have some nice paychecks I will get the v-moda cable or that other cable posted above. Damned amazon never ships to the netherlands...

Edit: Well I think i'm going to do this: Whenever (and iff) the x1's jack breaks again I will make some diy connection to make these fully balanced. Just because I can. :) With some diy cable and a nice braid it shouldn't be that expensive

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #1,034 of 5,962
Hey if it's worth doing then it's worth overdoing! :p

Amazon US is still showing the damned X1 as shipping in 3-5 weeks or some nonsense... I'm hoping they're actually in stock within a month.

I've been planning to buy a pair of Mad Dogs (T50RP mod) and an HE-400 to do some comparing and keep whichever I like best... I think I'd rather test the MD & X1 tho, it seems like they're closer to what I'm looking for.

Has anyone seen them at any other US site/shop? Philips has pretty good distribution, I imagine someone somewhere should be getting them in at the same time as Amazon.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #1,035 of 5,962
My hopes for the X1 is that they adjusted the length of the headband to accomodate for the bigger headed US market. I'm almost 100% certain that the X1 as is won't fit a lot of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back