[New] Philips Fidelio X1
May 29, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #5,476 of 5,962
  I have to sadly announce that I just sold me X1s. I really wanted to like them but I guess I am spoiled by others. Don't get me wrong, they are quite fun to listen to. But the minute you attempt to become analytical with their sound, they start failing in comparison to others. Just my opinion. 

For me, music is not to be analyzed, it is to be enjoyed.  Although we audiophile types fall into analysis all the time, I think it is the quest for higher quality sound reproduction that traps us into analysis.  Music is to be listened to for the sheer enjoyment of the music and not to sit and analyze what is heard. For someone who loves music I would think enjoyment  would always be the goal.  It's my goal, although I fail frequently and fall into analyzing the sound, finding fault and seeking better sound. It is a syndrome. My thought is to avoid a headphone that has an analytic sound and go for the ones that sound natural.  

May 29, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #5,477 of 5,962
My thought is to avoid a headphone that has an analytic sound and go for the ones that sound natural. 

+1

May 29, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #5,478 of 5,962
There are better headphones out there and I actually own couple that are better than the X1s, but at least for now, I'm still keeping them as when I happen to be in the mood, they offer a fantastic amount of FUN. And that's just something people forget about sometimes.

May 29, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #5,479 of 5,962
Thanks guys for your comments. I do appreciate them. However, every ear is made different. What you find 'fun' can be boring  and dull for others. At the end of the day, if you listen to a pair and you are not satisfied/happy/entertained by it or don't really dig the music protrayed by it then its time to move on to something else. In my case, DT 990 Pro gives you all that X1 does and a lot more. Thats just all to it.

May 29, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #5,480 of 5,962
For me, music is not to be analyzed, it is to be enjoyed.  Although we audiophile types fall into analysis all the time, I think it is the quest for higher quality sound reproduction that traps us into analysis.  Music is to be listened to for the sheer enjoyment of the music and not to sit and analyze what is heard. For someone who loves music I would think enjoyment  would always be the goal.  It's my goal, although I fail frequently and fall into analyzing the sound, finding fault and seeking better sound. It is a syndrome. My thought is to avoid a headphone that has an analytic sound and go for the ones that sound natural.  

Yup totally agreed. If not we end up buying and buying no ending. There are no perfect headphones, only what we think is perfect I guess we just buy one that we enjoy after all we enjoy music:grin:

May 30, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #5,481 of 5,962
  Thanks guys for your comments. I do appreciate them. However, every ear is made different. What you find 'fun' can be boring  and dull for others. At the end of the day, if you listen to a pair and you are not satisfied/happy/entertained by it or don't really dig the music protrayed by it then its time to move on to something else. In my case, DT 990 Pro gives you all that X1 does and a lot more. Thats just all to it.

What's the sound sig of the DT990 like compared to the X1? I've wanted to, but haven't had a chance to try out any of the Beyers yet. I don't think I'll have a chance any time soon either since I just dropped some money on a HiFiMan HE-560. But obviously being another big name in the audio game, I'll want to try out a set of nice Beyers at some point.

May 30, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #5,483 of 5,962
  The DT 990 is brittle and fatiguing.

Is that due to a high-energy treble? Cuz I hear Beyers are well-known for offering up a lot of treble energy. I gravitate more towards natural and slightly bass-skewed headphones. It also helps that the X1 is extremely comfortable, though I hear Beyers are also some of most comfortable headphones you can buy.

May 30, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #5,485 of 5,962

What's the sound sig of the DT990 like compared to the X1? I've wanted to, but haven't had a chance to try out any of the Beyers yet. I don't think I'll have a chance any time soon either since I just dropped some money on a HiFiMan HE-560. But obviously being another big name in the audio game, I'll want to try out a set of nice Beyers at some point.

I had the DT 990 (250) here for a few days, and while I believe in burn in, I did not feel more burn in would improve it enough to make it competitive with the X1.  It was cold sounding to me, lacked resolution, depth and any warmth (soul). The X1 just sounds so much better when comparing their sound. I believe various amps do make a difference in the sound of headphones though, so maybe other amps could improve on what I heard from the DT990. YMMV

May 30, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #5,486 of 5,962
  I had the DT 990 (250) here for a few days, and while I believe in burn in, I did not feel more burn in would improve it enough to make it competitive with the X1.  It was cold sounding to me, lacked resolution, depth and any warmth (soul). The X1 just sounds so much better when comparing their sound. I believe various amps do make a difference in the sound of headphones though, so maybe other amps could improve on what I heard from the DT990. YMMV

I do agree with your statement about amps. However, X1 is bass heavy. That much you have to admit (and what some people like and as a result label them as 'fun'). That is something they have 'fixed' in their next revision i.e. X2. DT 990 Pro when driven with a decent amp (they are 250 ohms as you have indicated) clearly produces very deep and punchy bass without a hint of bloat. Its fast, quick and extends deep when it needs to. Mids, I think X1 does a decent job compared to 990, which I feel is its weakest link. Highs, no doubt 990 wins hands down. I do hear a lot more things in the music when listening to DT 990 and some others (some closed, some open like Philips SHP9500) than when I put on X1s. 

Again, if you are happy with X1s, then thats all you need. Besides, various headphones, I also own quite a few speakers. while listening to a specific pair for sometime, I develop an affinity for them and like them so much that I sometimes think they are the best sounding speakers I own. This is instill in us due to brain burn-in until you hear a different set. At that point, you make an opinion either X is better than Y or Y is still better because your brain is too used to its sound signature. 

May 30, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #5,487 of 5,962
  I do agree with your statement about amps. However, X1 is bass heavy. That much you have to admit (and what some people like and as a result label them as 'fun'). That is something they have 'fixed' in their next revision i.e. X2. DT 990 Pro when driven with a decent amp (they are 250 ohms as you have indicated) clearly produces very deep and punchy bass without a hint of bloat. Its fast, quick and extends deep when it needs to. Mids, I think X1 does a decent job compared to 990, which I feel is its weakest link. Highs, no doubt 990 wins hands down. I do hear a lot more things in the music when listening to DT 990 and some others (some closed, some open like Philips SHP9500) than when I put on X1s. 

Again, if you are happy with X1s, then thats all you need. Besides, various headphones, I also own quite a few speakers. while listening to a specific pair for sometime, I develop an affinity for them and like them so much that I sometimes think they are the best sounding speakers I own. This is instill in us due to brain burn-in until you hear a different set. At that point, you make an opinion either X is better than Y or Y is still better because your brain is too used to its sound signature. 

Yes, the X1 is bass heavy, agreed. I had the X2 and I like the X1 better, so I guess I'm somewhat a basshead. And our ears and brain do acclimate to a particular sound and when we move to a different sound signature it can sound "foreign" and thus not pleasing.  I agree with your assessments. I will point out that at the time I was auditioning the DT990 I had been away from my X1 which has been sitting idle while I have been trying new other headphones in a search to round out my small collection, been listening to portables. I'm trying to buy my last headphone purchase (whew.........)  So I had sort of de-acclimated (is this a word?) to the X1 when the DT990 arrived. After letting the DT 990 burn in some, I actually had to pull out the X1 to compare because  I felt my ears had kind of lost the feel for the X1 sound.  But in a quick listen to the X1 and comparison to the 990 It was clear that the DT 990 was not impressive to me. My main genre is hard bop/modal jazz and I listen to quite a few of the youtube live performances of the greats, (art blakey, lee morgan, sonny rollins, miles, monk, coltrane, etc). The DT 990 was too cool and un-involving listening to these rough recordings (need a smooth sounding headphone) and the X1 does not  fail to deliver.

May 30, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #5,488 of 5,962
Yes, the X1 is bass heavy, agreed. I had the X2 and I like the X1 better, so I guess I'm somewhat a basshead.

Depends on other things too. With my gear I do not agree with that statement. With proper source chain X1 can sound pretty well balanced and natural. Definitaly not bass heavy.
IMO.

May 30, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #5,489 of 5,962
  Depends on other thing too. With my gear I do not agree with that statement. With proper source chain X1 can sound pretty well balanced and natural. Definitaly not bass heavy.
IMO.

I overlooked the differences in systems and amps paired with the X1. This can alter the sound.  Plus I use the stock cable with mine, which is known for a lack of bass control.  . When I changed to the mediabridge it tightened up the bass and changed the bass emphasis.

May 30, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #5,490 of 5,962
  Depends on other thing too. With my gear I do not agree with that statement. With proper source chain X1 can sound pretty well balanced and natural. Definitaly not bass heavy.
IMO.

My gear makes it not a hugely bassy headphone, but it does have a bass skew for me. Still, add a little bass is add a little fun for me cuz a large section of my library is EDM. Great headphone for the money. @Avalon2060's description of the DT990 sounds similar to how I described the HD668B, in terms of a coldness at least. I though those were pretty solid in sound quality considering how cheap they were, but they sounded a bit cold and didn't quite hit the spot for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back