[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Aug 2, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #4,846 of 5,962
If I was given a tutorial on how to extract the cups from these and make my own headband and fit, I would like to give them another go. The whole 'wannabe sub' is most likely the fit... I still can't get the bottom of the cups to clamp below my ears. The AKG Q/K70X range have a similar design but fit perfectly and are very comfortable. I just don't get it with these unfortunately.

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #4,850 of 5,962
  I still can't get the bottom of the cups to clamp below my ears. 

Try to lock cup ring from here with somekind of rubber piece:

This position should increase pressure to lower edges. Give it a try :wink:

Aug 2, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #4,851 of 5,962

Can you compare the sound of the 701 vs the X1? I know bass is different. Are mids better on K701?

AKG mids...well it all depends on your music taste.

I did more on previews page:

Just my 2c on X1 vs AKG k702:
1. Bass is real fun, and on other hand is quite good with o2 amp, I think I like that impact and subbass (from my mobile there is to much bass).
Thing is that akg bass is just short, quick like bumm (you can hear it but there is no impact) and gone empty space bumm and gone. AKG do not build "bass cushion". You will just get what is in mix and nothing more.
2. X1 music is closer to your ears, so I am missing that space, X1 is like room, k702 is like hall. So X1 is not as intimate.
3. X1 are good for quiet sessions where AKG shines if you play them louder then normal lvl.
4. High freq where more outlined and more detailed on AKG, they where just better.
5. X1 is like my stereo (tannoy v4) and AKG is like microscope designed for studio use. If mix is bad, you will not be able to listen to it.You can play game with pointing what is done wrong, how they balanced mix.
6. X1 is fun :) and quite fast fun.
7. On AKG instrument are like 10m apart, so you can just track all sounds with no problem. With x1 music is a coherent whole.
8, My head is bit to big for X1 lol so comfort goes to AKG (and yes I do not have problem with bumps)
Now I am not sure if will keep X1, but for 180e (new) will I get any better? k712 is to expensive now :/

And final verdict, X1 is new king of a hell...will just stop now and enjoy music.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #4,853 of 5,962

Can you compare the sound of the 701 vs the X1? I know bass is different. Are mids better on K701?

Philips X1 is a slightly U shaped response as we all know. The K701/702 is more neutral in the mids, with a bit of a bump in the upper mids. The bass on the X1 is a lot for present, hits harder and rumbles more - while rolling off into the sub bass a bit quicker than the K701. The mids on the K701 seem more detailed and noticeable but for some they are a bit too elevated in the presence region. The K701 sound quick this could be a result of a thinner sound. The K701 has more treble and better treble extension - definitely more analytical and can be sterile compared to the X1. The X1 is tubby, fun and lush by comparison. The X1 stage is larger than average, but the K701 is very very large/wide. Imaging goes to the K701 but the X1 is pretty strong. The X1 is much much much easier to amp.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #4,854 of 5,962
The X1 stage is larger than average, but the K701 is very very large/wide.

What about soundstage depth towards front/middle? When I did buying advice thread, then many ppl recommended X1 because I wanted great depth towards front/middle and I got it. Recommenders told me that Q701 & K701 are all that You previously said but they have typical AKG soundstage that is great in width but lack littlebit depth towards front/middle. Is that also same with K702 ?
I believe that K702 is littlebit different than Q701/K701 and might have better depth towards front/middle.
Unfortunately K702 was out of my price league and got X1 but I`m very happy with that buy, it is everything I wanted (after cable change and little amping). This will be probably end-game for me since they match DX50 & Aune T1 perfectly.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #4,855 of 5,962
I did the rubber band mod, thanks for that, it held in as long as I didn't move and I can hear what people like about these cans but I've come to conclusion that I'm just not a fan of this kind of sound... fit will always be an issue too. Q701 is serving my electronic CDs quite well. Now, I'm looking to resell the Fidelio X1. I don't know how this works but if you're from Australia and are interested, hit me up and I'll put them in the trade section... real cheap. Thank you.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #4,856 of 5,962
  What about soundstage depth towards front/middle? When I did buying advice thread, then many ppl recommended X1 because I wanted great depth towards front/middle and I got it. Recommenders told me that Q701 & K701 are all that You previously said but they have typical AKG soundstage that is great in width but lack littlebit depth towards front/middle. Is that also same with K702 ?
I believe that K702 is littlebit different than Q701/K701 and might have better depth towards front/middle.
Unfortunately K702 was out of my price league and got X1 but I`m very happy with that buy, it is everything I wanted (after cable change and little amping). This will be probably end-game for me since they match DX50 & Aune T1 perfectly.

The X1 has better depth than the K702. I've heard both the k702 and k701 and to me they sounded the same. 

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #4,857 of 5,962
Then it was good decision for me to go with X1 and I won`t have an itch for K702. Latter is probably very good headphone and is more analytical but I really appreciate when cans have some frontal depth and X1 has it very good. Large airy soundstage and ∩-shaped imaging gives it impression like You are in front of stage/speakers and vocals are further away outside of Your headstage. Love how X1 paints music to my ears ;P

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #4,858 of 5,962
  Then it was good decision for me to go with X1 and I won`t have an itch for K702. Latter is probably very good headphone and is more analytical but I really appreciate when cans have some frontal depth and X1 has it very good. Large airy soundstage and ∩-shaped imaging gives it impression like You are in front of stage/speakers and vocals are further away outside of Your headstage. Love how X1 paints music to my ears ;P

Looking at your musical preferences and your itch for K702, I reckon you would really dig the Q701. I think you need to love treble like I do though. With the rubber band mod, I listened to the same track on both the X1 and Q701... what I remembered from the X1: boom on the bass and sibilance on the vocals, kick missing the click... what I remembered from the Q701 on the same track: tight as tight can be bass, punchy kick and airy treble. Keep an eye on it... they come up from time to time for around 150 dollars. :wink:

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #4,859 of 5,962
boom on the bass and sibilance on the vocals, kick missing the click..

I talked about this part before in this thread. Have no such issues with my recabled X1 paired with Aune T1 (Siemens E88CC) / amp @ mid gain and DX50 / SU FW /Amp @ mid gain.
Originally Posted by CoiL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find X1 soundstage to be very big and open and I also can track all sounds with no problem, they nicely set apart, in depth and width. Wouldn`t call X1 intimate in any way. But I agree, with X1 music sounds as coherent whole.
  For me, at the beginning they also sounded littlebit "muffled" and lacked in bass tightness & kick. After cable change and amping with at least 150-200h playtime, it "opened" up properly. Now bass&kick is tight. Also soundstage, separation and transparency much better. Totally in love with that sound they provide. The soundstage depth towards front-middle is just amazing. 
Yes, they are warmish sounding cans with only little emphasis on bass but FAR away from sub-woofer like basshead cans.
These cans are more meant for enjoying music while still being able to easily listen all the detail if wanted.
To make them sound better, they need exactly what Mike said in his headfonia review about them:
The 1840 is still more refined, and the mids and highs are smoother, but I find that a good tube amp can help the X1 in those departments. 

This headphone has a good speed and attack by default, so I won’t be needing a solid state. What it needs, however is a little smoother treble and a little boost in the mids body. The ALO Pan Am is the best pairing I’ve heard with the X1 especially with the smooth Siemens tube upgrade.

And I agree with that... based on Aune T1 + Siemens E88CC and iBasso DX50. Both smoothen littlebit X1 treble and boost up mids section. Also bass is brought down tad, making them little more neutral. Result is very very enjoyable, at least for me :wink:

Plus I have very sensitive ears to treble region. Having read lot of comments and suggestions, I think Q701 isn`t for me and like I told, I love when cans have proper frontal depth :wink: I also have modified HD-681 which has very good soundstage width and separation but it lack in depth. Their sound signature/imaging should be somewhat similar to Q701. After having heard X1 I really don`t want to put on my HD-681 much anymore, as good as they are (analytical with littlebit extended bass, great mids and tinybit smoothed but clear sparkly highs). I really don`t hear any shortcomings with my setup with X1 and I think I`m going to stay with X1 :wink:

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #4,860 of 5,962
  I talked about this part before in this thread. Have no such issues with my recabled X1 paired with Aune T1 (Siemens E88CC) / amp @ mid gain and DX50 / SU FW /Amp @ mid gain.

Plus I have very sensitive ears to treble region. Having read lot of comments and suggestions, I think Q701 isn`t for me and like I told, I love when cans have proper frontal depth :wink: I also have modified HD-681 which has very good soundstage width and separation but it lack in depth. Their sound signature/imaging should be somewhat similar to Q701. After having heard X1 I really don`t want to put on my HD-681 much anymore, as good as they are (analytical with littlebit extended bass, great mids and tinybit smoothed but clear sparkly highs). I really don`t hear any shortcomings with my setup with X1 and I think I`m going to stay with X1 :wink:

It's great that you're enjoying them. I was just comparing the two. I no longer think X1's bass is sub-woofer like after giving them a good listen with the fit mod, but it really is preference as it was difficult not to notice an artificial boom on the bass with the X1 in comparison to the Q701 which came across really, really tight and well textured. I'm really sensitive to treble too, but only when it's dry (oh my ears ring when it sounds dry... which I remember on cheap sennheisers I can't recall the model of) and of course badly produced. Honestly I'm not sure what 'frontal depth' means exactly... Aune T1 was a tube amp right? I might have to give X1 a listen through a tube amp before selling them... let's see how they go. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back