[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Mar 3, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #4,051 of 5,962
Has anyone even had the pads on their x1 wear out? Do we know that its even an issue?

I take it they haven't been out long enough for wear to settle in, but it is bound to happen as with any other pad really, obviating of course that they are not given extended use, which sort of isn't the point anyway.

Pads giving out would have been well within warranty periods, so I doubt we'll get testimonies from anyone having to do with replacement pads for a bit.

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #4,052 of 5,962

If we could find out, say, that some pads by other manufacturers can be replaced easily without compromising the ergonomics and preserving the sound signature, without trouble, then I'm totally satisfied. Beyer pads might do the job. We don't even know if there is a suitable replacement for the pads as of now, nor the implications of the mod for replacement.

I'll cross that bridge when I get to it and I'm sure others will too. I don't forsee it being an issue finding suitable replacement pads that don't compromise. Then again I'm optimistic; I'll try a bunch of pads until I find one that's just right or as close as possible to the original manufacturer pads. That's part of the fun for me :p

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #4,053 of 5,962
Suggestions for cable replacement?
Is it really needed?
And no I am not spending 50 or 100$ on custom toxic cables.
10$ cable suggestions.
Some guy on amazon suggested Mediabridge. Seems a ton of people are taking his suggestion... Of just one random guy for all I know works for Mediabridge.
It's not like these average cable sellers list ohms for all there cables.

Can anyone second the Mediabridge recommendation or make another?

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #4,054 of 5,962
Is it really needed?
10$ cable suggestions.
Some guy on amazon suggested Mediabridge. Seems a ton of people are taking his suggestion... Of just one random guy for all I know works for Mediabridge.

Mediabridge, monoprice and v moda cable are fine.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #4,055 of 5,962
Mediabridge, monoprice and v moda cable are fine.

Amazon sells monoprice cables and if you are a prime member you can get free 2-day shipping. There isn't a store in town you can get quality cables that cheap with free shipping to boot.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #4,057 of 5,962
Is it really needed?
10$ cable suggestions.

I got the mediabridge cable only because it was a lot shorter than the stock cable.

As for sound quality, there isn't much of a difference, IMO.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #4,058 of 5,962
I got the mediabridge cable only because it was a lot shorter than the stock cable.

As for sound quality, there isn't much of a difference, IMO.

I'm reading so much mixed stuff about the cable swaps. Some guys swear by it. Others like you say not a big difference. Just found one post on head fi that said with one amp he had, no difference when swapping between stock and Mediabridge. On his other amp, the sq was better with media bridge.

I have m100s. And plenty of people say the vmoda cables are great with low ohms and will work great with these cans.
I will just stick with stock and vmoda cables (if I get the x1) . Damn you head fi!!!! My wife and wallet hate me!
I'm from japan and on a trip in the USA right now. Some cans cost $50 to DOUBLE in price. These x1 are nearly 150$ more in japan. (The hifi man stuff is double in price!!!)
I have to order these in a day or two... So about to hit the check out button.

Edit: **** it! I just bought them! If I change my mind, I can sell them in japan and make 75 to 100 cash over what I just paid.

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #4,059 of 5,962
I'm reading so much mixed stuff about the cable swaps. Some guys swear by it. Others like you say not a big difference. Just found one post on head fi that said with one amp he had, no difference when swapping between stock and Mediabridge. On his other amp, the sq was better with media bridge.

I have m100s. And plenty of people say the vmoda cables are great with low ohms and will work great with these cans.
I will just stick with stock and vmoda cables (if I get the x1) . Damn you head fi!!!! My wife and wallet hate me!
I'm from japan and on a trip in the USA right now. Some cans cost $50 to DOUBLE in price. These x1 are nearly 150$ more in japan. (The hifi man stuff is double in price!!!)
I have to order these in a day or two... So about to hit the check out button.

Edit: **** it! I just bought them! If I change my mind, I can sell them in japan and make 75 to 100 cash over what I just paid.

From my experience, I would say they the bass tightened up a little with the low impedance cables. I found he monoprice premium cable to give me the best sound quality, although they are very bulky. The Vmoda cable was not too far behind in terms of SQ and they are really nice in terms of buid quality. Hope you like the X1...

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #4,060 of 5,962
Just got a little time and remembered that I'd make a tour cable.

Going to strip it right now and then sleeve.
Here are the paracord options:

I have black and starry night but I'm bored of making only those so they are out of the running.

Let me know which one. In the next 10 minutes or so I'll start sleeving whatever gets the most votes.

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #4,061 of 5,962
Just got a little time and remembered that I'd make a tour cable.

Going to strip it right now and then sleeve.
Here are the paracord options:

I have black and starry night but I'm bored of making only those so they are out of the running.

Let me know which one. In the next 10 minutes or so I'll start sleeving whatever gets the most votes.

I think the red/black one looks the best.

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #4,062 of 5,962
They're all kinda colorful for me.  How about black or starry night? 

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #4,063 of 5,962
Oh... my God. Seriously, we're still debating about cables?

blink.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #4,064 of 5,962

I think the red/black one looks the best.

Thanks for the vote. 

They're all kinda colorful for me.  How about black or starry night? 

I've made 10+ X1 cables and everyone chooses the exact same thing. To be frank, Head-Fi members are boring and predictable when it comes to the style cables they choose. It's really boring to make the same thing 10-15 times. 

Oh... my God. Seriously, we're still debating about cables?

blink.gif

Did you miss the post? There is no debating here. I'm making a cable to ship around for people to try, a "tour cable". That way they can decide if it even makes a difference to them over the stock cable before using their money. 

So I finished in just over a minute and realized more time would be needed for feedback. Had a snack and chilled. I'll consider making a second silver-plated copper cable to go with this one just so people can also satisfy their copper vs spc questions. I'll use the same connectors and length so it'll be as close to the same cable as possible. I'll even make it boring black =P or starry night. I love starry night, I've just had to use it too much. 

Looks like with 1 vote the Black Widow won. Chicolom with the deciding vote, lol. 

Edit: Forgot to mention that at the end I'll be gifting the cables to whoever wants. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #4,065 of 5,962
Thanks @Kamakahah, count me in.  I'll give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back