New Oriolus Stack - BD20 DAC, BA20 AMP, SE02 EQ, 1795 BT Receiver and more...
Feb 23, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #91 of 144
I plan to order a BA300S soon for my WM1A, will wait your feedback between old & new version before ordering mine!
Hi, just wrote you a PM about it, put mine on the market (see my signature) in case you are interested! :)

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #92 of 144
Having the Equalizer plugged-in in between gives the sound more space so to say. It widens the sound stage and makes the music more "airy". This may give the impression that the volume drops a bit, but objectively the volume level stays the same and it just spreads more in the headspace.

I tested this with the Overture from the TRON - Legacy Soundtrack in 24/44.1 from around minute 1:10 to 2:30:
With the SE02 plugged-in I even had the impression to hear more details or at least have a better separation of the details. The rumble of the sub bass was still there and I felt it in my chest. Though the bass seemed more airy too, if that makes sense.
Without the SE02 the music sounded a bit more "closed" and "compressed" (in direct comparison) what made the sub bass rumble maybe feel an itsy-tiny-bit more intense? On consecutive listenings, I would say that the bass was as strong but the airyness makes the difference.

That doesn't sound promising :frowning2: Sounds like you are describing the sound change by a resistance adapter (like the er4p to s adapter).

I was hoping that, when the equalizer is engaged but all bands are at 0db, I can hear the original sound sig of the rest of my chain.

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #93 of 144
Tentando de novo. Imagens do Oriolus Stack:

ebikO0K.jpg

YFfPrGC.jpg

VsG5siW.jpg

7zEuJh2.jpg

MSHbKY1.jpg

LJIECc3.jpg

rfk6YCS.jpg

myexWPK.jpg
I saw that you paired it with an FH7 ... Is there any noise in it or another more sensitive IEM at the output of the stack?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #94 of 144
Looks like Oriolus is launching some exciting new stuff

First is the Oriolus BD2 DAC
1.jpg
Looks like it has the ESS Sabre ES9038PRO DAC. It has 4.4mm BAL and 3.5mm Line Outs only so probably no dedicated amp? Comes with replaceable op-amps?

Next is the Oriolus BA20 AMP
2.jpg
Looks like a SS amp with replaceable op amps. They include opamps for you. 3.5mm/4.4mm to 3.5mm/4.4mm standard. 3 gain levels and it allows you to choose between internal battery and external Power. Seems to do 500mW at 32ohms?

Next is the Oriolus SE02 EQ
3.jpg
Straightforward 4.4mm EQ with Pass through option

Next is the Oriolus 1795 Reference BT Receiver
4.jpg
Not much into BT devices but has 2.5mm/3.5mm or 4.4mm/3.5mm versions. LDAC supported.

Another version is the Oriolus 1795D BT Receiver
5.jpg
This is meant to be paired with the BD20 as a BT Receiver.

Lastly is the age old Oriolus BA300s Tube Amp
6.jpg
This has been available for a while but I wanted to do a shout out to this little tube amp. This is one of the best portable tube amps on the market. Super transparent and adds a richness to the midrange characteristic of tubes. This punches way above its price range.

All devices except the BA300s have USB C input/charge.

Personally I AM HYPE!!!
I will probably do
Oriolus BD20 DAC -> 4.4mm to 4.4mm JPS Superconductor -> Oriolus BA300s Pre-Amp -> 4.4mm to 4.4mm JPS Superconductor -> Oriolus BA20 Amp -> JPS Superconductor for Diana -> Abyss Diana V2/Phi

I also plan to upgrade all opamps with Burson V5i.

I hope the BD20 and the BA20 give me as much SQ for my money as the BA300s gives me everytime I listen to it.
This might very well be my uber endgame transportable Headfi system.

Edit:
Looks like a new version of BA300s has been released with a USB C charge port
7.jpg

Did anyone ever confirm if the BD20 is a DAC-only device?

Also, is there a version or similar device that is DAC-only AND has BT on it?

Mar 9, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #96 of 144
Did anyone ever confirm if the BD20 is a DAC-only device?

Also, is there a version or similar device that is DAC-only AND has BT on it?
Yes, this is only a DAC. It is to be paired with the BA20 Amp or any other amp of your choice. It has a fully balanced 4.4 output as well as 3.5 out. It has USB C or S/PDIF mini input. The BA20 amp has a 3.5 and 4.4 inputs and outputs. I connect the whole stack via 4.4 only. The BD20 can do DSD512, PCM 32bit/768kHz via USB and PCM 24bit/192kHz via coaxial SPDIF input.
I am contemplating to use it as a DAC for a compact CD transport.

For BT, there is the 1795D with a CSR8675 Qualcomm chip & BT 5.0 and LDAC. It claims to use a CS8422 chip to outputs Coax 24/192 or optical in order to "improve the resolution accuracy"... So it seems to upsample, as LDAC is max 96kHz as far as I know. I have not really used it yet, as the stack is connected to my pc via USB C and for BT "on the go" I use the Fiio BTR5 because it is much more convenient. Somewhere I read that the 1795D could be used to convert USB to optical (maybe coax too) in order to function as a galvanic isolator... have not tried that yet.

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #97 of 144
Hi guys,

My DX220 MAX is currently on repair and I got a nice Luxury & Precision W2 dongle which is performing explicitly well with my Andro Golds!
I have been lurking on the Cayin C9 tube amp to be paired with my Max and Denon AH-D9200 Overears but read that C9 is not so nice with hissing on sensitive IEMs for a potential on-the-go scenario.
What is more is is very expensive and not very compact :wink:

Am actually looking at these 2 use cases
1.) pairing a BA300 S with my DX Max and Denon AH-D9200 for home usage and getting more tube-smoothness for more harsh music like metal
2.) pairing a BA300 S with my new W2 dongle and Andromeda Golds for on the Go

What's your opinion about these pairings?
Is the BA300 S hissing a lot or having a rather quiet noise floor? - my Andros do have 7 Ohm impedance!

Thx for your feedback!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #99 of 144
Thinking about getting a 1795D, the BD20, and BA20 to drive my Ether CX. Does the portable tube AMP make much of a sound quality difference?
Have you tried tube amps before? It's more of a question of "what kind of sound do you like" rather than the word "sound quality" in a strict sense as technically the tubes add some level of distortion and also possibly a bit of hiss depending on pairing and impedance. Personally I prefer some level of tube amplification for most of my headfi-listening and the Oriolus BA300S is great value-for-money and has a good "character" in sound. And the difference is very noticeable (even for me har har).
Can't comment on the rest, sounds like a stack with quite many parts and maybe some one else can comment on it first hand.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #100 of 144
Have you tried tube amps before? It's more of a question of "what kind of sound do you like" rather than the word "sound quality" in a strict sense as technically the tubes add some level of distortion and also possibly a bit of hiss depending on pairing and impedance. Personally I prefer some level of tube amplification for most of my headfi-listening and the Oriolus BA300S is great value-for-money and has a good "character" in sound.
Can't comment on the rest, sounds like a stack with quite many parts and maybe some one else can comment on it first hand.
Fair point regarding tubes. I have never listened to a tube amp. I ended up buying an iBasso DX300.

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #101 of 144
Fair point regarding tubes. I have never listened to a tube amp. I ended up buying an iBasso DX300.
Ah okay cool :beerchug: You can also just pair the BA300S with the DX300 if you like at some point, or Ibasso will probably offer a tube amp card at some point in the future that can be inserted to DX300.

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #102 of 144
If you are yet in this train,get their true LO amp card once it's out and buy a Cayin C9 and you will have some end game stack for some years...
And yep, they will bring out some tube amp card too for mobile usage

May 5, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #103 of 144
Just ordered a BA300S, can anyone confirm whether it accept single ended input with 3.5mm to 4.4mm short connector?

May 5, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #104 of 144
May 5, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #105 of 144

Users who are viewing this thread

Back