New Oriolus Stack - BD20 DAC, BA20 AMP, SE02 EQ, 1795 BT Receiver and more...
Feb 2, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #76 of 144
Good point; there were sticky pads included with each of the components. Will maybe use them. Depending on the transport case I will ultimately buy, I want to keep the components separated. Those sticky pads can be pretty pesky and make it difficult to quickly separate the stack. Also I stuck some black, flat, rubber feed under them as the provided ones are half round and transparent. Maybe some good old rubber bands ;D
Just use Super Glue and treat it like one single device.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #78 of 144
Feb 3, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #79 of 144
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on head-fi, though I am a long-time passive reader of the forum.

A couple of weeks ago, I was looking for a new transportable dac/amp solution. My choice fell on the iFi Signature as it seemed to be the most "do-it-all" keeping lot's of options open for the future. I wanted to combine it with the Xduoo 05BL Pro BT Receiver and the Oriolus SE02 Equalizer, but then I stumbled upon the rest of the Oriolus line and just had to go that way!

Why did I decide to go full Oriolus instead of the Signature:
I was looking for a few things mainly.
1) The highest audio possible audio quality
2) future proof
3) and transportability.

I don't need something for quick errands (that's what I have my TWS earbuds, BT Beyers or the BTR5 for) but rather a small high-end solution for when I work at the client and sit for 9h straight in front a PC. Eventually I can also use it for a couple of hours in the train or plane. I also wanted something with USB C and 4.4 Balanced, as this makes it future-proof from a connector type point of view. Also 4.4 pentacon gives you all option going balanced or downgrading to 3.5 SE without any issues.
What pushed me to the Oriolus stack, was the fact that these are individual components; meaning I can upgrade them individually or connect the DAC to a bigger Amp at home or use them in any combination depending on the situation! From a minimal DAC + Amp to a full fledged BT Receiver + DAC + Tube PreAmp + EQ + PowerAmp. Or anything in between.
Let's see what combo I will be rocking the most...

Only downside at the moment:
1) My MBP does not recognize the DAC when connected via a normal USB C or TB3 cable. At the moment I only have the extra-short USB C OTG that was provided with the DAC. I am still searching for a longer solution; if anyone know about a good OTG around 1m / 4 foot I would be really glad for any tip.
2) The components are lighter then I anticipated. Which makes it great for lugging around, but on the other hand, the rigidity of the 4.4 intercon cables is enough to slide the components out of place when stacked on each other.
3) The color and the material of the cases is not identical for the all the components. DAC, Amp and BT Receiver have a lighter and coarser surface. The Tube Amp and the Equalizer have a deeper black and their surface is more polished. All of them collect fingerprints, or rather skin oils, pretty easily. I will probably plaster them with some cool music related stickers I have laying around.

In the pictures you can see:
- 1795 BT Receiver (LDAC; can also be used as a "Galvanic Isolator" using the Optical Output)
- BD20 DAC
- BA300S Tube Amp (I use it as a Pre-Amp/Tube buffer)
- SE 02 Analog Equalizer
- BA20 Solid State Amp

This is also the order in which I would use them when I go "all-in".
BTW. I really like that the seem to have changed the blue LED inside the BA300S to a red one! I was already thinking of how to paint the blue one to shine red...
And all 4.4 interconnect cables have wooden grips :)

I still need to do some listening, but in a first short session I was really pleased with the BD20 + BA20. A really clear and pleasant sound. I will first get to know the sound presentation before starting to roll the OPAs. Nice addition that they included a box full with the BA20.
After the first time I turned them on, I could hear a small humm that changed when I touched the amp and completely disappeared when I touched the Mac and the amp with both hand. None of them was connected to a power source. Seems to be an grounding problem. But I already have my eyes on the iFi iGalvanic 3 ;D

Now I just "need" some new IEMs to go along; Voyager 14 or better Kinera Baldr maybe, but same as Oriolus Stack, there are nearly no reviews out there...
I am also very much tempted by the DCA Aeon 2 C Noire; I really dig the folding ability; would make travelling much easier. Reviews of the Aeon 2C go both ways, so not 100% convinced yet. But as far as I know, these are the only high-end over ears that are foldable and lightweight. I have some old Aeon 1 open that I traded for an AK120 ii and they are super comfy I must say.

Cheers & Best Greetz from Switzerland

Here are the pics (first post, so not yet allowed to put pics directly in the post):

Oriolus BA20 BD20 1795D BA300S SE02

Full Oriolus LineUp

SE02 in packaging

BA20 and Op Amps

Nice Oriolus Stack

Mac + BD20 + BA20

Oriolus BA300S Tube Glow

Oriolus Stack on Desk - Size Comparison

I've been looking at the SE-02 to use with my Oriolus BA-10 amp.

Are the different EQ bands locked together or do you have to adjust the L and R sides separately for each frequency?

Also, is there any change (drop? or attenuation) in volume when the EQ is on instead of bypassed?

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #81 of 144
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on head-fi, though I am a long-time passive reader of the forum.

A couple of weeks ago, I was looking for a new transportable dac/amp solution. My choice fell on the iFi Signature as it seemed to be the most "do-it-all" keeping lot's of options open for the future. I wanted to combine it with the Xduoo 05BL Pro BT Receiver and the Oriolus SE02 Equalizer, but then I stumbled upon the rest of the Oriolus line and just had to go that way!

Why did I decide to go full Oriolus instead of the Signature:
I was looking for a few things mainly.
1) The highest audio possible audio quality
2) future proof
3) and transportability.

I don't need something for quick errands (that's what I have my TWS earbuds, BT Beyers or the BTR5 for) but rather a small high-end solution for when I work at the client and sit for 9h straight in front a PC. Eventually I can also use it for a couple of hours in the train or plane. I also wanted something with USB C and 4.4 Balanced, as this makes it future-proof from a connector type point of view. Also 4.4 pentacon gives you all option going balanced or downgrading to 3.5 SE without any issues.
What pushed me to the Oriolus stack, was the fact that these are individual components; meaning I can upgrade them individually or connect the DAC to a bigger Amp at home or use them in any combination depending on the situation! From a minimal DAC + Amp to a full fledged BT Receiver + DAC + Tube PreAmp + EQ + PowerAmp. Or anything in between.
Let's see what combo I will be rocking the most...

Only downside at the moment:
1) My MBP does not recognize the DAC when connected via a normal USB C or TB3 cable. At the moment I only have the extra-short USB C OTG that was provided with the DAC. I am still searching for a longer solution; if anyone know about a good OTG around 1m / 4 foot I would be really glad for any tip.
2) The components are lighter then I anticipated. Which makes it great for lugging around, but on the other hand, the rigidity of the 4.4 intercon cables is enough to slide the components out of place when stacked on each other.
3) The color and the material of the cases is not identical for the all the components. DAC, Amp and BT Receiver have a lighter and coarser surface. The Tube Amp and the Equalizer have a deeper black and their surface is more polished. All of them collect fingerprints, or rather skin oils, pretty easily. I will probably plaster them with some cool music related stickers I have laying around.

In the pictures you can see:
- 1795 BT Receiver (LDAC; can also be used as a "Galvanic Isolator" using the Optical Output)
- BD20 DAC
- BA300S Tube Amp (I use it as a Pre-Amp/Tube buffer)
- SE 02 Analog Equalizer
- BA20 Solid State Amp

This is also the order in which I would use them when I go "all-in".
BTW. I really like that the seem to have changed the blue LED inside the BA300S to a red one! I was already thinking of how to paint the blue one to shine red...
And all 4.4 interconnect cables have wooden grips :)

I still need to do some listening, but in a first short session I was really pleased with the BD20 + BA20. A really clear and pleasant sound. I will first get to know the sound presentation before starting to roll the OPAs. Nice addition that they included a box full with the BA20.
After the first time I turned them on, I could hear a small humm that changed when I touched the amp and completely disappeared when I touched the Mac and the amp with both hand. None of them was connected to a power source. Seems to be an grounding problem. But I already have my eyes on the iFi iGalvanic 3 ;D

Now I just "need" some new IEMs to go along; Voyager 14 or better Kinera Baldr maybe, but same as Oriolus Stack, there are nearly no reviews out there...
I am also very much tempted by the DCA Aeon 2 C Noire; I really dig the folding ability; would make travelling much easier. Reviews of the Aeon 2C go both ways, so not 100% convinced yet. But as far as I know, these are the only high-end over ears that are foldable and lightweight. I have some old Aeon 1 open that I traded for an AK120 ii and they are super comfy I must say.

Cheers & Best Greetz from Switzerland

Here are the pics (first post, so not yet allowed to put pics directly in the post):

Oriolus BA20 BD20 1795D BA300S SE02

Full Oriolus LineUp

SE02 in packaging

BA20 and Op Amps

Nice Oriolus Stack

Mac + BD20 + BA20

Oriolus BA300S Tube Glow

Oriolus Stack on Desk - Size Comparison
Nice to know that you also went the Oriolus Stack. I have the BD20, BA20 and the BA300S Mk1. I think you have the Mk1 too since you say they have a different color than the rest. I think the new version has the same color though. Did you check out the new BA300S?

I am planning to get the new one to match colors. I use the Mk1 exclusively with my Sony WM1A now. They match color and has +3db gain unlike the new one which has 0db gain.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #82 of 144
@gr8soundz

I've been looking at the SE-02 to use with my Oriolus BA-10 amp.

Are the different EQ bands locked together or do you have to adjust the L and R sides separately for each frequency?

Also, is there any change (drop? or attenuation) in volume when the EQ is on instead of bypassed?

The SE02 should be a great and easy way to check what kind of sound signature you like and tweak your IEMs/Headphones to your liking without the need of digital interface. I really love this analogue EQ!

Frequency sliders are unfortunately not locked/linked to each other. L & R are separated as the SE02 is completely balanced. Also they are mirrored: Bass to treble from outside-in.
There is a slight difference in volume from EQ vs bypass. It is not hughe, but it is there (maybe a couple dBs?). Don't forget the SE02 is actively amplifying the volume by +/- 8dB max. If the SE02 is turned off, no signal will be passed thru. So you need to keep it charged, turned on and in the "By Pass" position if you want to keep it in the stack but not use it.
Here is a screenshot from the manual I took with Google Translate. Sorry it's a bit dark, as my screen brightness was lowered.
DG3d4pM.jpg

9lvSfaZ.jpg

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #83 of 144
Nice to know that you also went the Oriolus Stack. I have the BD20, BA20 and the BA300S Mk1. I think you have the Mk1 too since you say they have a different color than the rest. I think the new version has the same color though. Did you check out the new BA300S?

I am planning to get the new one to match colors. I use the Mk1 exclusively with my Sony WM1A now. They match color and has +3db gain unlike the new one which has 0db gain.

Yeah, I thought: no risk, no fun. And from the very few reviews I found online, it looked as if it was a pretty safe decision sound quality wise. Some japanese review was talking about "The path of the king" or so. That sounded as they meant it was high-quality :beyersmile:
It is cool to be able to switch the components as I feel and also be able to roll the op amps etc. And the looks of it are great.
Maybe the Oriolus-user-group will grow due to this thread. It seems like some obscure DAC/Amp that not many are aware off outside of China and Japan. Also the Oriolus website does feature these products. Only the BA300S, which is the most known of the stack. I even found the manufacturers website and they also do not feature all models; maybe they are produced by different companies, hence the small difference in size and finishing? There is a good review on a polish site, referencing to the manufacturer etc. Google translate was a great help in this case.

My BA300S has the USB C connector for charging, so I am not sure if it is the old model. Also it stated to be the new generation when I bought it. Anway, I am really glad it has the red LED. Blue LEDs on tube amps are strange as they emit a cold light for something that represents warmth and coziness.
The instructions do not mention anything about mki or ii. But it says 0dB for gain. On the front it also says "Focus on Audio for 20 years", which might be a hint to the number 20 in BA/BD20 series?
Apparently they updated the color of the LED. There also seemed to have been an intermediate modell, which had a glowing ON/OFF lever. My version is plain, solid black.
The color of the case is definitely different than BD20, BA20, 1795D. And I prefer it! The other components have a very gritty and coarse surface which is rather unpleasant to the touch. Also when trying to wipe them down, the tissue seems to get caught. The SE02 and BA300S have a very nice and smooth surface (silky), also they are of a deeper black. The others are more matt grey. Almost feels like they primed them with base coat and then did not sand and paint it. Front and back panel are the same. Maybe I should take them apart and finish the paint job... :ksc75smile:

Feb 3, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #84 of 144
Yeah, I thought: no risk, no fun. And from the very few reviews I found online, it looked as if it was a pretty safe decision sound quality wise. Some japanese review was talking about "The path of the king" or so. That sounded as they meant it was high-quality :beyersmile:
It is cool to be able to switch the components as I feel and also be able to roll the op amps etc. And the looks of it are great.
Maybe the Oriolus-user-group will grow due to this thread. It seems like some obscure DAC/Amp that not many are aware off outside of China and Japan. Also the Oriolus website does feature these products. Only the BA300S, which is the most known of the stack. I even found the manufacturers website and they also do not feature all models; maybe they are produced by different companies, hence the small difference in size and finishing? There is a good review on a polish site, referencing to the manufacturer etc. Google translate was a great help in this case.

My BA300S has the USB C connector for charging, so I am not sure if it is the old model. Also it stated to be the new generation when I bought it. Anway, I am really glad it has the red LED. Blue LEDs on tube amps are strange as they emit a cold light for something that represents warmth and coziness.
The instructions do not mention anything about mki or ii. But it says 0dB for gain. On the front it also says "Focus on Audio for 20 years", which might be a hint to the number 20 in BA/BD20 series?
Apparently they updated the color of the LED. There also seemed to have been an intermediate modell, which had a glowing ON/OFF lever. My version is plain, solid black.
The color of the case is definitely different than BD20, BA20, 1795D. And I prefer it! The other components have a very gritty and coarse surface which is rather unpleasant to the touch. Also when trying to wipe them down, the tissue seems to get caught. The SE02 and BA300S have a very nice and smooth surface (silky), also they are of a deeper black. The others are more matt grey. Almost feels like they primed them with base coat and then did not sand and paint it. Front and back panel are the same. Maybe I should take them apart and finish the paint job... :ksc75smile:
Oh. So you have the new version then, definitely. I will get on in the near future as my old one is now tied to my Sony. But I love the sound of the stack with the tubes.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #85 of 144
@gr8soundz

The SE02 should be a great and easy way to check what kind of sound signature you like and tweak your IEMs/Headphones to your liking without the need of digital interface. I really love this analogue EQ!

Frequency sliders are unfortunately not locked/linked to each other. L & R are separated as the SE02 is completely balanced. Also they are mirrored: Bass to treble from outside-in.
There is a slight difference in volume from EQ vs bypass. It is not hughe, but it is there (maybe a couple dBs?). Don't forget the SE02 is actively amplifying the volume by +/- 8dB max. If the SE02 is turned off, no signal will be passed thru. So you need to keep it charged, turned on and in the "By Pass" position if you want to keep it in the stack but not use it.
Here is a screenshot from the manual I took with Google Translate. Sorry it's a bit dark, as my screen brightness was lowered.
DG3d4pM.jpg

9lvSfaZ.jpg

Thanks for that. Appreciate the translated manual pics.

I already avoid software EQ due to volume drops so sad to hear the SE-02 does the same. I know EQing is hard to do without clipping but it is possible similar to my RHA Dacamp L1 and Fiio E17k. Unfortunately for me, neither of those have tubes and don't pair well as preamps (by my ears).

Still, the SE-02 appears to be the only option right now for a portable EQ preamp but I also imagine adjusting the sliders while maintaining balance could be frustrating.

Feb 3, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #86 of 144
Thanks for that. Appreciate the translated manual pics.

I already avoid software EQ due to volume drops so sad to hear the SE-02 does the same. I know EQing is hard to do without clipping but it is possible similar to my RHA Dacamp L1 and Fiio E17k. Unfortunately for me, neither of those have tubes and don't pair well as preamps (by my ears).

Still, the SE-02 appears to be the only option right now for a portable EQ preamp but I also imagine adjusting the sliders while maintaining balance could be frustrating.

No problem, just let me know if you have any further questions on the SE02 - which btw. states "Model: OA005" on the front plate.

Unfortunately I did not have time yet to thoroughly listen to the stack (whole day only meetings), but I managed to do a quick test with & without the SE02 physically in between BD20 and BA20 (not just EQ/By Pass):
Having the Equalizer plugged-in in between gives the sound more space so to say. It widens the sound stage and makes the music more "airy". This may give the impression that the volume drops a bit, but objectively the volume level stays the same and it just spreads more in the headspace.

I tested this with the Overture from the TRON - Legacy Soundtrack in 24/44.1 from around minute 1:10 to 2:30:
With the SE02 plugged-in I even had the impression to hear more details or at least have a better separation of the details. The rumble of the sub bass was still there and I felt it in my chest. Though the bass seemed more airy too, if that makes sense.
Without the SE02 the music sounded a bit more "closed" and "compressed" (in direct comparison) what made the sub bass rumble maybe feel an itsy-tiny-bit more intense? On consecutive listenings, I would say that the bass was as strong but the airyness makes the difference.

I also much prefer an analogue equalizer to any digital one. Gives me the feeling to be more connected to the music; and pushing those sliders up and down with your fingers is just something else than doing this in an app or on a screen.

Before knowing that the SE02 has separated EQ for L & R, I thought that it was a 10-band equalizer. But still I think they chose the frequencies wisely:
63Hz Mid Bass
330Hz Lower/Middle Mids
1KHz Upper Midrange/ eventually scratching Lower Treble
3.3KHz Middle Treble
10KHz Upper Treble/scratching Top Octave

All adjustable frequencies seem to be placed on or near the threshold/ transition of the frequency band ranges. I would also assume that these are not pinned to just that frequency, but rather modulate a bit before and after. I have not found any info about how wide the spread actually is.

Anyway, I love it for what it is, and yes, there aren't many (trans)portable multi-band equalizers out there. And frankly, it just looks gorgeous and ultra cool :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 5, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #88 of 144
Oh. So you have the new version then, definitely. I will get on in the near future as my old one is now tied to my Sony. But I love the sound of the stack with the tubes.

I plan to order a BA300S soon for my WM1A, will wait your feedback between old & new version before ordering mine!

Feb 5, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #89 of 144
I plan to order a BA300S soon for my WM1A, will wait your feedback between old & new version before ordering mine!
Functionally, the old one is perfect for the Sony because it has a +3db gain. Not much but it raises the voltage output of the Sony from max of 2volts (balanced, high gain) to about 2.8volts. So it translates to a little bit more power from the Sony paired with the old BA300S. The new one has +0db gain (no voltage gain) so it does not raise the voltage output of the Sony. It is perfect for the BA20 and BD20 stack as a pre-amp to get that tube sound. The BA20 is more powerful than the Sony so the +0db spec is really fine here.

Though I haven't compared sound wise, some say the new one is more lush.

Feb 7, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #90 of 144
Functionally, the old one is perfect for the Sony because it has a +3db gain. Not much but it raises the voltage output of the Sony from max of 2volts (balanced, high gain) to about 2.8volts. So it translates to a little bit more power from the Sony paired with the old BA300S. The new one has +0db gain (no voltage gain) so it does not raise the voltage output of the Sony. It is perfect for the BA20 and BD20 stack as a pre-amp to get that tube sound. The BA20 is more powerful than the Sony so the +0db spec is really fine here.

Though I haven't compared sound wise, some say the new one is more lush.

Thank you for all those inputs, really interesting ! Old one seems better for my WM1A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back