New Oriolus Stack - BD20 DAC, BA20 AMP, SE02 EQ, 1795 BT Receiver and more...
Dec 29, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #136 of 144
Hi Matpar & Seamon,

I’ve read your posts with great interest. I listen to Qobuz with the following system: iPhone>Lotoo PawS2>Orolius BA300(II)>Plunge Audio Universal planar IEM (early model not yet formally released)

The IEM is amazing, and benefits greatly from the BA300S, but the system is perhaps a little dry for my taste - I’m a DHT triode amp guy - and I would appreciate your advice on an upgrade.

Would you recommend swapping the S2 for the Dense dac first or upgrading the IEM cable (I’m currently using the ALO/Campfire “Smokey Litz) with something outstanding, like the Penon Totem (gasp)?

Also, Seamon: Do you still think the Dense reference dac is the best pairing for Planars driven by the BA300s, or do you think there is a better contender on the horizon?

Thanks for all of your posts,

Thermist
I had the same experience. Lotoo Paw whatever I used back then was dry as a digestive biscuit.
Adapt Reference will likely solve your problems. It's a fairly cost effective option as well before trying something more expensive.

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #137 of 144
Thank you Seamon, I just updated the software on the S2 and it sounds even drier and less involving then it originally did (I think). Everyone seems to agree that the Orolius BA300S is just the ticket for planars, so my suspicion naturally falls on the S2. I just wish there was a dramatically better portable DAC - ideally with its own power rather than a dangle - that I could pair with the BA300S. I know that you like the Oriolus BD20, but I don’t think it would work for me because it has no volume control. Hence the interest in a DAP. I know that I like desktop DACs that are NOS, but the Cayin RU6 dangle sounds like it’s not much better than the S2, from what I can gather. Do you have any thoughts on, or experiences with NOS DAPs with your BA300S + Abyss?

Dec 31, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #138 of 144
I had the same experience. Lotoo Paw whatever I used back then was dry as a digestive biscuit.
Adapt Reference will likely solve your problems. It's a fairly cost effective option as well before trying something more expensive.
Ok. Ordered Dense reference DAC -now only $89?! - along with a 3.5-4.4mm pigtail adapter based on Penon’s new Totem cable. Will report back when I’ve been able to burn-in and listen. Thanks again. (BTW the extra dryness/glare I heard with the S2 + new firmware disappeared with burn-in and the S2’s now sounding pretty damn good).

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #139 of 144
I just received a ORIOLUS BA300S it’s charging right now. Surprised how small the unit is. My 4.4 cable looks different than others I seen. Hoping it’s still being made by PW, Anyways will post later after I listen to it.

Early impressions are really good getting no hiss and sound isn’t bad right out of the box. The bass is slightly increased, mids seem more forward and treble isn’t much changed. The difference aren’t huge but there’s improvements in the right way.

Only small complaint is the red led lights there too bright and makes seeing the tubes glow difficult. Wish you could turn them off. Has anyone found a way to hide the led lights?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #140 of 144
I just received a ORIOLUS BA300S it’s charging right now. Surprised how small the unit is. My 4.4 cable looks different than others I seen. Hoping it’s still being made by PW, Anyways will post later after I listen to it.

Early impressions are really good getting no hiss and sound isn’t bad right out of the box. The bass is slightly increased, mids seem more forward and treble isn’t much changed. The difference aren’t huge but there’s improvements in the right way.

Only small complaint is the red led lights there too bright and makes seeing the tubes glow difficult. Wish you could turn them off. Has anyone found a way to hide the led lights?
Congrats! Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do :)
I do not want to miss the BA300S anymore. It is a must when listening to my ZMF VC with the "portable" rig.

All my Oriolus products came with the same 4.4 to 4.4 cables, those that have the wooden connector (African custom ebony plug).
Edit: Penonaudio states:
W107:4.4mm balanced male to 4.4mm balanced male
W107 :about 17cm (Include plugs)

NOTE: BA300S comes with W107

Maybe try to color the red LED with some black marker?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #141 of 144
Congrats! Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do :)
I do not want to miss the BA300S anymore. It is a must when listening to my ZMF VC with the "portable" rig.

All my Oriolus products came with the same 4.4 to 4.4 cables, those that have the wooden connector (African custom ebony plug).
Edit: Penonaudio states:
W107:4.4mm balanced male to 4.4mm balanced male
W107 :about 17cm (Include plugs)

NOTE: BA300S comes with W107

Maybe try to color the red LED with some black marker?
They musta changed the 4.4 cable mine has silver connections instead wood. Description does say it’s a PW cable so guess it is. They version also has the tubes side to side instead of up and down. There not much info on line on the changes made to the
Oriolus BA300S.
The more I listen to it the better it sounds so I’m very happy with it. Was able to find a screen Orientation app and rig looks great on its side. It’s a much better positioned since the Shanling has the connection on bottom makes it kinda awkward to use. Being on its side should also help with cooling.

Feb 2, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #142 of 144
Ok so I know that the BA300S is ideally paired with the BA20 amp, but has anybody used it as a preamp to give some tubey warmth to a full-size desktop headphone amp? I'm wondering if that would sound good...

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #143 of 144
1) Oriolus 1795D offers USB to Optical so it can be used to galvanically isolate the stack from the USB port. I have one, it's pretty useful.
2) Dense > S1. I returned the S1 10 minutes after I heard the Dense. For isine20, you don't need this stack, just the Dense is enough.
With regards to the galvanic isolation function of the 1795D, how does this work? If I were to get that along with the BD20, could I then use it as an isolated desktop DAC, and what would the connections look like? Sorry for the basic questions.

Mar 19, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #144 of 144
Ok so I know that the BA300S is ideally paired with the BA20 amp, but has anybody used it as a preamp to give some tubey warmth to a full-size desktop headphone amp? I'm wondering if that would sound good...
Been using the ba300s as a preamp into a Xduoo ta20 and really loving how it sounds with the mest iem. Just got some AMPEREX 12AU7 / ECC82 tubes for the Xduoo and they really improved the warmth and soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back