New Oppo BDP-103 & 105 previewed at Cedia
Feb 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #166 of 258
Oppo 103 owner. SACD newb here. Is there a way to play SACD and output it via optical/coaxial to my Eximus DP1? Or do I have to use ane analog outs? Looking for using stereo (not MCH) from my Brothers in Arms disc for now. Thanks.

-Daniel

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #167 of 258
Quote:
Oppo 103 owner. SACD newb here. Is there a way to play SACD and output it via optical/coaxial to my Eximus DP1? Or do I have to use ane analog outs? Looking for using stereo (not MCH) from my Brothers in Arms disc for now. Thanks.

-Daniel

I've been looking at either a 103 or 105 as a universal transport and trying to figure out if the HDMI ports can transmit I2S signals to my W4S DAC-2 (same pinout as PS Audio PWD/PWT AFAIK).

Here are a couple of the responses I got from Oppo....yet I'm still confused about its abilities, nevermind the confusion about Wadia/W4S, they got a little mixed up, but shouldn't matter.  These do address your question though BournePerfect, it sounds like SACD is output over HDMI only, or the analog outputs of course.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Feb 18, 2013
"The player can be connected to the Wadia DAC using digital coaxial or optical without any issues. SACD will pass no audio, Blu-ray will be 16-bit/48KHz, but the other formats will give you stereo up to 24-bit/192KHz."

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
------------------------------------------
Feb 18, 2013
"HDMI carries more jitter inherently than digital coaxial or optical. We generally do not recommend using HDMI for serious audio listening for this reason.

If there is substantial reclocking, then HDMI is a better interface because you can do things like SACD PCM and 24-bit/192KHz fro Blu-ray."

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

I hope this answers your question, but I am still unsure as to whether the 103/105 can talk to an I2S input on the DAC-2 or PWD.

Ayone else doing something like this with these or any other Oppo player?  Info would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #168 of 258
Quote:

-Daniel

Devices are not allowed to send audio data from SACD over optical or coax.  The only known device that can do this is the gen 1 PS3.  This is so people can't just copy it.  It's also probably why the format is so limited (too many rules).

It is supposed to include all digital outputs but an alotment has been made for HDMI.  I think there's more to it, like it has to be sent in DSD or it can't be sent on DSD or something.  I've never bothered trying to play a SACD over HDMI so I haven't keep track of the rules for it.

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #169 of 258
Quote:

I've been looking at either a 103 or 105 as a universal transport and trying to figure out if the HDMI ports can transmit I2S signals to my W4S DAC-2 (same pinout as PS Audio PWD/PWT AFAIK).

I hope this answers your question, but I am still unsure as to whether the 103/105 can talk to an I2S input on the DAC-2 or PWD.

Ayone else doing something like this with these or any other Oppo player?  Info would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be very surprised and wouldn't expect a normal player to output I2S.

OPPO is telling you you'd get better results using a different method anyway so that's really the only answer you need.

Honestly, for both of you, I'd be surprised if you got more out of using your external DACs.  Besides you'd loose multichannel support, DSD support and all that.  I sold all my external DACs when I got my 105.  I really think there should be more discussions about the OPPO as a DAC on headfi because it's a great product that is going under appreciated here.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #170 of 258
Quote:
Devices are not allowed to send audio data from SACD over optical or coax.  The only known device that can do this is the gen 1 PS3.  This is so people can't just copy it.  It's also probably why the format is so limited (too many rules).

It is supposed to include all digital outputs but an alotment has been made for HDMI.  I think there's more to it, like it has to be sent in DSD or it can't be sent on DSD or something.  I've never bothered trying to play a SACD over HDMI so I haven't keep track of the rules for it.

The rule is that you can't sell a player that sends audio from an SACD over an unencrypted connection. It doesn't matter if it's DSD or converted to PCM.

It's too bad. Sony's rules are crippling this format. It certainly discourages me from buying into it.

It's interesting that if you dig into the audio literature that you will find some articles by Stan Lip****z and James Vanderkoy claiming that the DSD format has some issues. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #171 of 258
Quote:
I really think there should be more discussions about the OPPO as a DAC on headfi because it's a great product that is going under appreciated here.

+1 on that. I think there are some external dacs that are nicer for headphone use, but the Oppo overall is a great product.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #177 of 258
Quote:
Not sure. Comparing Private Investigations redbook with BiA SACD now that I think about it...

-Daniel

other things to try.  I don't mean to say something stupid but make sure you dont have sound coming out of your TV.  Several poeple have gone on the main oppo thread and complained about bad SQ and they were getting sound from their TV.  Also, this is a bug that I don't know if it effects the 103 or not but it is a 105 bug that screws things up for some people.  Go into your audio settings and switch what your L  & R channels are doing then set them back.  ie, if you have 'downconvert to stereo' set then switch that, exit out, then reset down select to stereo.  And if you haven't set your audio settings to begin with make sure you do.  You'll want to make sure the max hi-res audio files are allowed, you'll want to set your L & R channel to 'down convert to stereo' (otherwise you'll me missing info, esp if you're listening to a multi-channel SACD.  Beyond that, it's  just too hard to know what you've done with it.  but the 103 is a big step up from the 93 so you should be happy with it.  I admit I've never heard the 103 (I have the 105) but I did have a 93 and I enjoyed that too.

It is also recommended that each time you do a firmware update to reset factory settings and then go back and remake the changes you want.  Just be careful because when you reset to factory settings your volume gets reset to 100%. (if you have variable volume set anyway).  It's like rebooting your computer - if you ever have to contact OPPO they'll tell you to do a factory reset and update your settings before they do anything else.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #180 of 258
Agreed.  The BDP-105 is a phenomenal value and, despite the myriad of features, is really simple in its setup.  And SACD sounds sublime on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back