New Monster Turbine Pro Copper vs. Used Miles Davis Tribute ? (for non-jazz music)
Jun 4, 2010 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

d0nk

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I am struggling to make a decision between new MTPC at overstock for $260 or used MD at $310 from amazon. I read about 50 pages of threads over the past few hours and most of the discussion was way over my head.

Music I listen to mainly: Jam band, funk, classical rock, alternative rock, punk, Rap/Hip-Hop. *I do not listen to jazz or classical music very regularly.

Another factor is that I can't find overstock listed as an authorized retailer of monster headphones so I am not certain they would come with the lifetime warranty. On the other hand, though used, the MD headphones are from an authorized seller and do have this warranty.

I know this is not a simple choice but I've read so much information over the past few days that I am in information overload and feel more confused now than ever. This is my first expensive headphone purchase and was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance...

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 20
They have the same tech, according to Noel Lee, president of Monster. The only difference is the tuning.

The coppers are more neutral with more forward treble, the MDs have warm and forward mids, less forward treble and more bass quantity.
There isn't a wrong choice, the question is what do you really want to listen to?

Before people pipe in with their preference--I like the coppers over the MD, other people went the other way. Neither is right, it's which tuning do you want to listen to.

I'd go with whatever has the incredible Monster warranty. Three years, four years, six or seven years down the line, your iems break and you can get a new pair from Monster. Can't get that with any other company.

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 20
I own a pair of Klipsch Image S4i. While I find them satisfactory they don't really wow me. I am always finding points where the sound just doesn't get to where it feels like it should be getting. So out of this 2nd par, I really want something that is going to wow me when I sit down and dedicate time to listening to music. Considering that, which of these two would you say has more of a wow effect to the sound?

Also, does anyone know whether Overstock.com does indeed come with a lifetime warranty from monster when you purchase new products? They aren't listed on Monsters website and the overstock representative I spoke to earlier did not seem to know. If no warranty is included, would it be better to just buy a used pair from OneCall.com knowing that I could always get a new pair from Monster when I 'break' them?

Jun 5, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 20
Yes.  Buy from OneCall.  They are great and you should be able to get the MTPC for $240.  Forget about Overstock.com, or any other non authorized seller if you want to preserve the lifetime warranty and replacement.

Jun 5, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 20
For funk, rap/hiphop or anything w/ a bass guitar the MD's are the better choice IMO.  If the lifetime warranty isnt that big a deal for you you might check out the Radius DDM thread.  You could save some money at $150-$160 if you can deal with their unique design.

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
For funk, rap/hiphop or anything w/ a bass guitar the MD's are the better choice IMO.

So the MD has the more impressive bass than the copper? How much of the MDd price is the collectors item element of it? If it was called the Monster Turbine Pro Blue instead of MDtribute would it still be more $ than the MTPC?

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 20
I just bought the Pro Copper at One Call for $250

The MD's where $320 so for $70 more I did not think it was such a good deal for the MD's

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
So the MD has the more impressive bass than the copper? How much of the MDd price is the collectors item element of it? If it was called the Monster Turbine Pro Blue instead of MDtribute would it still be more $ than the MTPC?

Hmm, the Copper retails for $399 and the MD's for $499.  The MD's get a special edition collector case serialized and a Miles Davis CD, the phones are also serialized.  Figure the CD and case are about $20-$30 give or take.  If you can put a price on a serialized and/or limited edition item let me know.

On a side note, I did not pay full retail for either and would not expect others to.  I actually got my MD's cheaper than some people got their Coppers so I'm a happy camper. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #11 of 20
I have found a place here in Hong Kong, where MD is HKD3080 cheaper than copper HKD3180. Sound quality wise i assume MD should be better!!! I listen to heavy metal mostly tight deep bass, i can die for

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
I just bought the Pro Copper at One Call for $250

The MD's where $320 so for $70 more I did not think it was such a good deal for the MD's

Nice price bro! I feel embarressed now seeing that as I bought my coppers from dell for $379 + tax. Still within my 21 day return period.  Not sure if dell price matches though.

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 20
is OneCall an authorized dealer?? and if I buy used/open box do I still have warranty??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back