NEW! Monster DNA headphones
Sep 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #31 of 212
Quote:
Is it normal for the right and left channel to not match?

For non hi-fi cans, yes.  Outside of hi-fi and summit-fi, manufacturers simply don't take the time to driver match.  And since no two drivers are perfectly alike, well there ya go.

But if you're talking about that funkiness happening above 10kHz, yeah bit of a mess there.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #33 of 212
Picked up a pair of these today at Best Buy and I've gotta say, I love them.  To compare, I've got a set of M-80s, Senn HD25-IIs, the new UE 6000s.  I've gotta say, these are definitely the most comfortable and they sound fantastic.  They isolate well and they look great IMO.  They aren't the brightest of headphones...seem pretty mid centric after a few hours of listening, with some really nice bass.  They compare favorably to the M80 from a sound sig point of view, but some more comparisons will have to take place before I can say that for certain.

I'll have to do some more comparisons going forward, but it looks like Monster has a gem on their hands here.  I had low hopes and figured it wouldn't be a problem to just return them if I didn't like them...but wow...I think they are my favorite of the bunch.  Extremely easy to drive...straight out of the iPod Touch 5, Sansa Clip and my Macbook Air.  I'll have to do some testing with my Fiio E11 this evening as well.

That said, I'm shocked there isn't any talk about these things on here.  I guess the brand name on them will turn a lot of head-fiers off...but then again, V-MODA had the same issue last year and now look.  :)

BTW...ordered some V-MODA M-100s too...can't wait to try those as well whenever they decide to release them.  I like over the ears better than on the ears, but sometimes I have trouble wearing over the ears w/ my glasses as it breaks the seal sometimes.  In that case the on-ears have the advantage.

It's a good time to be a headphone fanatic!

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #35 of 212
Quote:
They compete with the m80's!? ;O

I believe they do.  They may have a bit more bass and slightly more forward mids, but outside of that, they seem to be on an even playing field.  Are they 40 dollars better right now...I doubt it.  I believe the M80s are still superior when it comes to overall presentation, but only slightly.  From a comfort standpoint, the DNAs are really freakin' good.  They seem to get a better seal on my ears which makes them isolate a bit better and from just asking the wife, they don't leak quite as much sound.  So for some, that is a bonus!

Tough to say still as it's only been a day, so some more play time plus the standard burn in period and we'll see what I think in another week or so.  I've got too many new headphones to listen to now, so my judgement (amateur as it may be), is probably clouded anyway.

I really wish more people would give these a shot.  At least so we can compare notes from an audio standpoint.  They definitely kick the crap out of Beats Solo HDs which I can tell they were designed to compete with.  So that much I can say for certain.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #37 of 212
Guess it's just me, myself and I with these things.  I'll continue to burn them in and enjoy them.  Hopefully a few others take the risk-free plunge at Best Buy (or any other retailer you can return a headphone at if need be).  Would love to compare notes.

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #38 of 212
Quote:
Guess it's just me, myself and I with these things.  I'll continue to burn them in and enjoy them.  Hopefully a few others take the risk-free plunge at Best Buy (or any other retailer you can return a headphone at if need be).  Would love to compare notes.

I like the DNA as well.  I think it's a good sounding headphones with all the features a portable headphone should have.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #40 of 212
Quote:

Joker should review them 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #41 of 212
You are not alone I just picked up the all black ones at best buy after returning the pioneer mj 591 for 149.99 at best buy, and I must say I've been using these dna's almost non stop since i got them. I can only tell you they get better with burn-in when I first got the I could here some slight distortion but now they sound extremely good very good. the headphones sound like the vmoda
m-80 with more bass!!!!!! In my opinion very good headphones!!!!!!!

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #42 of 212
Quote:
You are not alone I just picked up the all black ones at best buy after returning the pioneer mj 591 for 149.99 at best buy, and I must say I've been using these dna's almost non stop since i got them. I can only tell you they get better with burn-in when I first got the I could here some slight distortion but now they sound extremely good very good. the headphones sound like the vmoda
m-80 with more bass!!!!!! In my opinion very good headphones!!!!!!!

You paid $149 for the 591?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back