New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Jan 12, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #752 of 952
I wanted the Ibasso dx120, but after reading more about the D2, I am very interested in the D2.

I normally use a 400Gb micro sd and only play music by folder. How is the D2 handling 400Gb cards? I have 29 292 files and 3 679 folders, still growing...

Jan 12, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #753 of 952
I wanted the Ibasso dx120, but after reading more about the D2, I am very interested in the D2.

I normally use a 400Gb micro sd and only play music by folder. How is the D2 handling 400Gb cards? I have 29 292 files and 3 679 folders, still growing...
It won’t work. 128gb max on the external storage. 64gb available on the internal storage (actually less because the system uses some of the memory). You can upgrade the internal to 128gb, if you are comfortable to get inside your player. So, in essence, 256gb max (with internal mod). That’s it.

Jan 12, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #755 of 952
@counterclockwise,
I have used a lot of DAPs & head amps with balanced outputs & more often than not, especially on head amps, I notice a decrease in volume rather than increase on balanced connections & on any balanced DAPs, the sound levels are either the same or if they have independant volume control, either different or the same, depending on what was set before.

Honestly, I find no difference in sound level or volume output from either the 3.5 mm or 2.5 mm & have tested this many times with different head gear so not sure why you think there is a difference in volume or level.
I also listen at lower volumes (Average 40 dB on PD 2 / Average 20 dB on PD) than most people so I am curious how many dB you usually listen at.
So short of using a dedicated dB meter, I stick to whatever sound level I am comfortable with.
As a final note, I am not a fan for 2.5 mm sockets or plugs.

not gonna argue with subjective impressions or try to prove a general case, but in the specific case of the PD2 the balanced output is specced at 4 vrms whereas the single-ended output is specced at 2 vrms. both use the same 140 step volume scale. if the balanced out weren't louder at the same numeric volume setting, then we'd be looking at false advertising or faulty engineering on cowon's part.

when i switch back and forth between the two with the same iems (and same cable, for what it's worth) at the same numeric volume setting, the balanced out is clearly louder. ( -_-)
for the sake of objectivity, i recorded both (iem position fixed relative to mic, 3.5mm and 2.5mm both at a numerical volume of 75, balanced cabling in both cases) and loaded the recording into my DAW.

PD2_SE_BAL.png

left is the 3.5mm output, right is the 2.5mm output. spike in the middle is me switching outputs.
2.5 is notably louder, as advertised. not sure why we're arguing over this.

@counterclockwise,

To answer to your questions, I stated 'the single ended output seems wired balanced' as ALL 3.5 mm Balanced I plug into the PD2 work with no issues whatsoever & since I'm not about to open my unit up to check, this is more than likely the case, hence the word 'seems'.
As more often than not, as standard, nearly all other 3.5 mm connections do not work with 3.5 mm Balanced as most aren't wired for it.

i think you're mixing a few things up here.

the PD2 isn't "wired for balanced". a 3.5mm balanced cable with typical wiring (L+,R+,L-,R- from tip to sleeve) will work just fine in a standard 3-pole single-ended socket. in this case the cable's L- and R- both terminate onto the socket's single ground, establishing a regular single-ended connection. this is what happens when you plug a 3.5mm balanced cable into the PD2's SE out. same for the Zishan Z3, i just noticed (which surely isn't wired balanced...).

however, as you observe, 3.5mm balanced cables often do not work in single-ended 3.5mm outputs. many devices use a 4-pole socket for single-ended output, using the 4th pole (sleeve) for signals from inline remotes and/or mics. when you plug a 3.5mm balanced cable into such a device, R- terminates onto the remote/mic input wire, and thus your right channel fails to ground (result: no sound on the right channel).

so the fact that PD2's SE out works with balanced cable is not a matter of cowon secretly wiring the 3.5mm out balanced and telling no one about it, it's just that they didn't wire it to accept inline remotes and such. this just happens to be pretty convenient if you have your gear cabled up for 3.5mm balanced.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #756 of 952
For all the big kids amongst us (Me included) I found a pretty good Font site (No sign up needed) this morning (File sizes are tiny in general - use WINRAR etc. to extract) :-

https://all-free-download.com/font/sort-by-popular/page/15/

A lot of other sites seem to be using OTF (Open Type Font) not .TTF (TrueType Font).

Just download the font, change the name of the .ttf file to USER. drop into the system folder and select USER FONT (Menu > Display > User Font).

I've been playing around with fonts all morning, naming them USER, deleting them from the PD2, then renaming the new ones USER and repeating etc,

I've gone with BLOODY (Meh, I'm a Metalhead, it seems appropriate) :-

batman (2).jpg

Yah, I know. I suxors at photos :slight_frown:

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #757 of 952
For all the big kids amongst us (Me included) I found a pretty good Font site this morning (File sizes are tiny in general - use WINRAR etc. to extract) :-

https://all-free-download.com/font/sort-by-popular/page/15/

A lot of other sites seem to be using OTF (Open Type Font) not .TTF (TrueType Font).

Just download the font, change the name of the .ttf file to USER. drop into the system folder and select USER FONT (Menu > Display > User Font).

I've been playing around with fonts all morning, naming them USER, deleting them from the PD2, then renaming the new ones USER and repeating etc,

I've gone with BLOOD (Meh, I'm a Metalhead, it seems appropriate) :-

Yah, I know. I suxors at photos :slight_frown:
That's a great album

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #758 of 952
That's a great album

It's probably my Favourite Album of all time and it's NYP in the Free FLAC Thread (Pg. 370) up until the end of January :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #759 of 952
I need some help !! I’m either going for the cowon Plenue or the d2. I know the differences. I’ve been told the Plenue has amazing sq, would you guys say the d2 has same sq. I always hear people say they grab the Plenue d for sq and battery life but the d2 has more whistles .Can the d2 accept the larger microsd cards unlike the plenue d. Thank you guys so much !!!
Basically the d2 has less battery life and more expensive with more whistles ?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #760 of 952
I need some help !! I’m either going for the cowon Plenue or the d2. I know the differences. I’ve been told the Plenue has amazing sq, would you guys say the d2 has same sq. I always hear people say they grab the Plenue d for sq and battery life but the d2 has more whistles .Can the d2 accept the larger microsd cards unlike the plenue d. Thank you guys so much !!!
Basically the d2 has less battery life and more expensive with more whistles ?

The Plenue is a series of players which the D2 is part of.

Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #761 of 952
Thank you I have been researching them both of course . SQ is the most important therefor the Plenue D was recommended. If the d2 has the same sq but more features ( less battery life) I am willing to pay more . I’m really talking about sound quality here and comparison between the 2 from owners ..thank u guys !!!
Trigger on amazon waiting - also considering hiby r3

Jan 27, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #762 of 952
I had the Plenue D and now have a D2.

The SQ on both is superb, especially for the price.

Small but so powerful.

D2 earns its extra ciost due to balanced out and more internal memory.

I'd say SQ is marginally better on it but the D is not far behind and thus is excellent value. Battery life us poorer but its more powerful.

Same GUI which is OK but not as good as some other makes.

Only a single microSD card slot in both. I use 128gb Sandisks.

Plenue D must be being discounted now so will be a bargain.

Whichever you go for, I'm sure you'll love it. They're remarkable.

Good luck!

Jan 27, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #763 of 952
Can the d2 accept the larger microsd cards unlike the plenue d.
No. 128GB is still the limit. The D2 was a very lazy update from Cowon. It didn't change the computing side of things at all.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #764 of 952
@floydfanx6,

I suggest just getting the PD, hard to go wrong, as @Plutopants stated, no reall difference which I agree with, at least as far as sound quality is concerned & very hard to beat 100 hours battery life.

@Plutopants,

As far as I'm aware, given I am on the consumer side (no connections with Cowon directly), Cowon tends to have their gear floating around for many, many years before they officially discontinue them but it is hard to say without any confirmation...

Hope you both have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back