New Member Introductions thread
Nov 28, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #15,121 of 15,601
Hi, new member here. I have always used in-ear buds, usually Beyerdynamic. Recently I borrowed some Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones and I really like them. I found on ebay some Sennheiser M2 AEi and bought them. I then found out that they do not work with my ipod nano, Blackberry, PC, or Samsung Edge - just one channel is all I got. So it seems they are specifically for Apple products. I sent them back.
So I did a bit of research and bought Sennheiser M2 OEi as what I had discovered led me to believe they will work on pretty much anything. However, same issue - just one channel.

Is this right? Do you have to meticulously research all phones for player compatibility before you buy?

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #15,122 of 15,601
Greetings to all.
While I have been a "Stereo Nut" for decades and have worked on upgrading my simple Japanese-built stereo system (purchased over-seas in the early seventies - yup, Vietnam era) into its present configuration; a six-way, active cross-over, with both tubes and Solid-state amplifiers for power, a Hartley 24" sub-woofer mounted in the fireplace (long story), I am still a "new-bee" in the headphone genre/game/addiction/hobby. Now own/use a couple year old Schiit Magni 3 HP amp and Senn/Mass Drop HD6XX HP unit converting the electricity into mechanical motion. To my novice self, a pretty nice setup.
Because of a couple of unfortunate weather events the past three years we find ourselves replacing our tiny lakeside home in N.E. Indiana with a somewhat larger lakeside home. Being a spoiled (though I like to think not "intitled") human and now on occasion, able to afford some reasonably quality gear, I am wanting to take the aforementioned head-fi gear to the new home and replacing/upgrading my gear here in Colorado. I have my eye on a couple of used Schiit Mjolnir 2 amps for sale around the internet and thinking about popping for the Senn. 820 or possibly the open-backed version 820 S model. I have a few questions for all you experienced headphone people: from a bit of research, it seems that while people say the Senn. 820s are amazing instruments, they also rave even more about the sound of the open 820S model. Regarding the 820S open HPs, can y'all give me some idea how loud the emitted/extraneous noise is to unwitting bystanders in the same general area when being listened to at a slightly louder than average level? I don't want to not be able to use these headphones if my sweetheart is bothered by noise in an adjoining room.
I have a few more questions for you experts pertaining to a HP amp but will save those for a later time.
Thank you all so much for any pertinent information.
Best regards
Broozer-mobile

Nov 30, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #15,127 of 15,601
Yoyoyo I'm new here. Been kinda interested in audio for a while and am starting to become increasingly curious about it. I don't know much about headphones from a technical standpoint at all, and don't have a very refined ear, but in general I can distinguish a good sound from a rotten one. I am interested in learning more about headphones, amps, DACs, etc., as well as audio engineering. Been drumming since I was like four or five and play a wee bit of guitar and piano. I have 7hz Zero and Timeless but I have trouble getting ANY IEM to seal well so I don't really use those. The Zero is 🔥 tho. Current audio gear is nothing special. Unless you call a fiio Q11 velcro'd to the back of a phone with a set of HD560s plugged into it "special". But yeah. Suppity.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #15,128 of 15,601
Hi there! New to Head-fi and have been on my headphone journey now for a couple of years. I'm a Reddit refugee looking for a better place to chat with people about this fun hobby of ours.

I have a bunch of systems, desktop and portable.

Magni / Modi / Loki stack with a set of 20+ year old Sennheiser 580s (Living room)

Modi / Linsoul XDUOO MT-602 with a set of Sennheiser 6xxs (Bedroom)

Jotunheim / Lokius / Bifrost with a brand new pair of Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noirs and Hifiman Sundaras (Home office).

A few pairs of Moondrops (Arias and Katos) and AKG 361s for on the go with Apple dongles.

But no, I don't have a problem...

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #15,129 of 15,601
Been in the hobby since 2017 and thought I'd finally try out the forum.

Dec 1, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #15,131 of 15,601
Hello everyone. It's amazing to be part of this forum that I've been following for a while. I've been around the hi-end scene for a few decades, but I can consider myself relatively new to the IEM and headphone scene, even though I've owned a Shure E5 for a long time. I'm currently listening to some IEMs. Sony FW-1000xm4 and a Thieaudio Monarch III with iBasso DC-04Pro. These IEMs are certainly not the best, but they are very good in this price range. I'm using Hifiman HE1000 Stealth headphones, Burson Conductor 3x Reference on the way. Thanks for admitting me to the forum and I hope to learn a lot from this amazing community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back