New Member Introductions thread
Jul 30, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #14,838 of 15,649
Good morning from Houston,

I joined earlier this month. I have spent way to many hours reading threads and posts here to learn more about headphone systems. I have been primarily a two-channel guy for the majority, but have enjoyed my initial forays into headphones. My current system consists of OG Focal Utopias, OG Audeze LCD-2, Wavelength Audio Cosecant Dac, and the Ferrum Oor+Hypsos stack. I've had the Utopias and Ferrum stack for less than a month, and I'm already curious to find out what improvements a tube amp might provide for my listening pleasure. Before I pull the trigger, I am trying to learn from those who have taken the journey before me. Thanks for all of the great information on this forum!

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #14,840 of 15,649
Hi everyone, I'm Pantheus. I've come to you for help understanding what sort of sound signature I like in headphones, because I'm struggling to find headphones that match my preference.

I think I'm not an audiophile, based on how people have reacted to my previous favorite headphones. I listen to rock (Incubus, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Radiohead) and video game scores like Jeremy Soule's work on the Elder Scroll series. I like strong, punchy bass, and crystal-clear highs. I really enjoy the crispy cymbal work in The Police's music.

I've found that a lot of headphones tend to have crystal clear highs but muddy bass, or they've got great bass but the highs are rolled off. I think this means I like a U shape to my sound.

By the way, I do NOT use an amp. I just plug headphones into my computer while I work.

I love my ATH-M40X, and they have the highs I love and almost have the bass I love, but they're too tight on my head.
I loved the wired Apple earpods but they got rid of the 3.5mm jack so I can't use those on my phone anymore. They had pretty good bass and crispy highs.
I bought a pair of $200 Sennheisers a while back (I can't remember their name now) but they were gray, open-backed, and discontinued as of a few years ago. They had great punchy bass but the highs were really muffled.
Then I was given a $16 (yes, sixteen) pair of gaming headphones called "Sades Spellond" and they had shockingly good lows and highs for the price.

I'm now in search of an over-ear headset (mic required for work) that is great for listening to music and occasional gaming.

What do you recommend?
Maybe a portable amp? A light one? Which really make a sound quality clearer on bass.

Aug 4, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #14,843 of 15,649
Hello all, just joined the other day. Been into audio in general since college (I'm 29 so it's been about 10 years) but I've been diving much deeper in the past couple years.
I've searched everywhere I can and with my budget I can't find anything better than what I have. Which is the Audio-Technica ATH-WS1100, basically the M50X but with slightly larger drivers (53mm) and a little more low end. I've had them for 6 or 7 years and I still absolutely love them. Got them for a little over $100 when they first came out by price matching amazon when I ordered them at Best Buy. Little did I know their retail was around $250 so I assume they were running a deal to get people interested then raise the price once more people knew about them. To this day I've never came across anyone in person that have these so I hope someday they become a collector item or something of a diamond in the rough type scenario since they don't seem very common and they are holding up very well. I use mine every single day for at least an hour or two. Got replacement ear pads a year or two ago and they're even better than the oem pads. Sadly the headband leather has been peeling but it's obviously not functional so I'm not too worried about that.
Sorry, rambled off a little bit. Last thing that I want to mention is that I'm searching for a good headphone amp with integrated DAC so I can still use these headphones with my new phone which doesn't have a headphone jack. I still have my old phone which has it, but my wife is using it at home for music and gray noise on her BT speaker since we just had a baby a few weeks ago. So if any of you know of an affordable headphone amp with integrated DAC, please let me know. I tried the Fosi DAC-Q4 and it did not make the cut. Highs and mids were fine, but low mids/high bass and especially low bass fewquencies were muddy and veiled. So aparently when looking for something like this, you get what you pay for. So I'm aware that I'll have to spend more than the $50 that I got the Fosi for, but I'd like to keep it under $150. And yes I am ok with used gear as long as it has been taken care of. There is someone with a Schiit separate DAC and amp that seems pretty solid. Does Schiit make good stuff?

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #14,844 of 15,649
Hello world.

I just got here last week. For years I loved using some basic Sony earphones. Then I got tired of wires and made my first foray into wireless with an Edifier W800BT. I know it's not high end, but I still got it and still do the works.
Had a few cheap TWS over the years, but they were never satisfying. So after months researching TWS, I came across the idea of IEMs coupled with bluetooth DACs. And that's how now I'm a proud owner of a Fiio BTR5 2021, a pair of RY4S 300 ohms (mmcx) and Moondrop's Chu II (0.78mm 2-pin). My main source is an iPhone SE 2020.

That said, I'm preparing a post of my current portable setup. Not sure where to post it. Is mostly an appreciation post, not very technical in review.

I'm between posting in Introductions, Help and Recommendations, Portable Source Gear, Portable Headphone Amps or in Members' Lounge (General Discussion).

Cheers.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #14,845 of 15,649
Hello :) New to Hi Fi sound and headphones. Really joined the site when I saw review of headphones I wans't sure about. Went into a rabit hole of listening to Hi Fi music and want to join you guys.
Welcome aboard - obligatory, “sorry ‘bout your wallet” … 👍😄

Aug 4, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #14,846 of 15,649
Hello all, just joined the other day. Been into audio in general since college (I'm 29 so it's been about 10 years) but I've been diving much deeper in the past couple years.
I've searched everywhere I can and with my budget I can't find anything better than what I have. Which is the Audio-Technica ATH-WS1100, basically the M50X but with slightly larger drivers (53mm) and a little more low end. I've had them for 6 or 7 years and I still absolutely love them. Got them for a little over $100 when they first came out by price matching amazon when I ordered them at Best Buy. Little did I know their retail was around $250 so I assume they were running a deal to get people interested then raise the price once more people knew about them. To this day I've never came across anyone in person that have these so I hope someday they become a collector item or something of a diamond in the rough type scenario since they don't seem very common and they are holding up very well. I use mine every single day for at least an hour or two. Got replacement ear pads a year or two ago and they're even better than the oem pads. Sadly the headband leather has been peeling but it's obviously not functional so I'm not too worried about that.
Sorry, rambled off a little bit. Last thing that I want to mention is that I'm searching for a good headphone amp with integrated DAC so I can still use these headphones with my new phone which doesn't have a headphone jack. I still have my old phone which has it, but my wife is using it at home for music and gray noise on her BT speaker since we just had a baby a few weeks ago. So if any of you know of an affordable headphone amp with integrated DAC, please let me know. I tried the Fosi DAC-Q4 and it did not make the cut. Highs and mids were fine, but low mids/high bass and especially low bass fewquencies were muddy and veiled. So aparently when looking for something like this, you get what you pay for. So I'm aware that I'll have to spend more than the $50 that I got the Fosi for, but I'd like to keep it under $150. And yes I am ok with used gear as long as it has been taken care of. There is someone with a Schiit separate DAC and amp that seems pretty solid. Does Schiit make good stuff?
Hey there,
Don’t overlook our very active classifieds, and haggle some as new deals!
Yes, schiit does make some good products - good quality!

Happy learning and listenings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back