New Member Introductions thread
Jul 5, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #14,791 of 15,605
Hi everyone, I'm Pantheus. I've come to you for help understanding what sort of sound signature I like in headphones, because I'm struggling to find headphones that match my preference.

I think I'm not an audiophile, based on how people have reacted to my previous favorite headphones. I listen to rock (Incubus, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Radiohead) and video game scores like Jeremy Soule's work on the Elder Scroll series. I like strong, punchy bass, and crystal-clear highs. I really enjoy the crispy cymbal work in The Police's music.

I've found that a lot of headphones tend to have crystal clear highs but muddy bass, or they've got great bass but the highs are rolled off. I think this means I like a U shape to my sound.

By the way, I do NOT use an amp. I just plug headphones into my computer while I work.

I love my ATH-M40X, and they have the highs I love and almost have the bass I love, but they're too tight on my head.
I loved the wired Apple earpods but they got rid of the 3.5mm jack so I can't use those on my phone anymore. They had pretty good bass and crispy highs.
I bought a pair of $200 Sennheisers a while back (I can't remember their name now) but they were gray, open-backed, and discontinued as of a few years ago. They had great punchy bass but the highs were really muffled.
Then I was given a $16 (yes, sixteen) pair of gaming headphones called "Sades Spellond" and they had shockingly good lows and highs for the price.

I'm now in search of an over-ear headset (mic required for work) that is great for listening to music and occasional gaming.

What do you recommend?

Jul 5, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #14,792 of 15,605
Where do I go from here. I have always built full size systems to satisfy my curiosity for differing sound systems. I now have started on the IEM journey. I originally purchased Sennheiser IE 5.00, then Shure SE425's years ago. More recently purchased FIIO FH5s PRO. that opened a new world of a hobby I never understood. Since then, Campfire Audio Mammoth, Meze Rai Solo, Truthear Crin Zero Blue, AFUL Performance 8. All run through my iFi Hip DAC 2 or my Sony ES receiver, both having a nice warm sound of TI and Burr Brown DACS. I guess my question is, should I step up to the kilobuck equipment and what are the diminishing returns on making that move. I truly enjoy listening to all of my current IEM's for their diversity of sound signatures. But I feel like I am missing so much. I learned how expensive things can get in building my full size systems, so crossing this line is a big step...
Given that you have experience with different IEMs, and already use a DAC, I would definitely recommend upgrading to the kilobuck IEMs. If you can spare $2000 I'd recommend the Shure KSE1200 system.

Jul 6, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #14,793 of 15,605
Hey all, new member here. Haven't been a daily lurker until recently since deciding to take a plunge at expensive headphones. Well, that, and the recent crap going down on Reddit as I'd often frequent /r/Headphones.

I've had obsession with better audio since around college. Music is one of the most important things in my life and going a day without it is a bad one.

Jul 6, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #14,794 of 15,605
Greetings from Downunder! I’m from Sydney Australia and looking forward to share my audio journey with you all, at the same time being part of this community. Like you all, I enjoy music and I’ve found myself exploring new sounds and is a pleasure I’ve recently discovered. Looking forward to sharing my journey. Peace!

Jul 7, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #14,796 of 15,605
First-time caller, long-time lurker. I usually prefer a good set of speakers, but have been getting more into headphones lately. I've found happiness with a pair of Audeze LCD-2 and a Monoprice Liquid Platinum, and am on the hunt for more headphone goodness. Cheers!
What kind of speakers do you like? I've been a long-time Magnepan owner and I consider the LCD-2 to be a good alternative to a Magnepan system, if you don't have the space.

Jul 7, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #14,797 of 15,605
What kind of speakers do you like? I've been a long-time Magnepan owner and I consider the LCD-2 to be a good alternative to a Magnepan system, if you don't have the space.
Was also first into speakers, still have a pair of Tannoy Kensingtons, but hardly ever use 'em after acquiring both the Sr1a & LCD-4. Wife doesn‘t complain as much 😅

Jul 7, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #14,798 of 15,605
Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I've been lurking for quite some time but finally felt like joining the conversation. I'm part of the engineering team at 64 Audio, so I'm looking forward to chatting with the community.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Jul 8, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #14,800 of 15,605
Hi all, new user here!
I have been collecting TWS for the past 3 years, but got disillusioned with them when my sony XM4 batteries started crapping out much earlier than expected. I discovered the virtues of wired IEMs when I looked for more sustainable alternatives, starting early this year with ultrabudget chi-fi IEMs and am slowly but surely working my way up the price tiers. Currently waiting on delivery of a pair of kiwi ears quintets, and I found myself browsing reviews on head-fi.org.
Thanks for having me!

Jul 8, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #14,801 of 15,605
Hi all, new user here!
I have been collecting TWS for the past 3 years, but got disillusioned with them when my sony XM4 batteries started crapping out much earlier than expected. I discovered the virtues of wired IEMs when I looked for more sustainable alternatives, starting early this year with ultrabudget chi-fi IEMs and am slowly but surely working my way up the price tiers. Currently waiting on delivery of a pair of kiwi ears quintets, and I found myself browsing reviews on head-fi.org.
Thanks for having me!

While the batteries in my Beats Fit Pro still work quite well, I too decided to put down TWS in favor of IEMs. I'd started out with the Dunu Titan and Vsonic GR07 years ago, and I'm currently enjoying the Sony IER-M9's. I'm itching to find a more refined version of that sound signature lately, though.

I hope you enjoy the Quintets when they arrive! And welcome to the sound village!

Jul 9, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #14,803 of 15,605
While the batteries in my Beats Fit Pro still work quite well, I too decided to put down TWS in favor of IEMs. I'd started out with the Dunu Titan and Vsonic GR07 years ago, and I'm currently enjoying the Sony IER-M9's. I'm itching to find a more refined version of that sound signature lately, though.

I hope you enjoy the Quintets when they arrive! And welcome to the sound village!
Thanks man! Super excited for the Quintets, which were kind of a blind buy but as more and more reviews have started popping up, I'm feeling increasingly justified in my purchase decision.

Jul 10, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #14,804 of 15,605
Hey everyone! Super excited to continue my journey of learning on this forum. My background is I've been a DJ for over 12 years, and have recently gotten into audio production. After having some issues creating music and living spaces, I've started to dive into the headphone world to find the best fit for my needs and tastes. Thanks for hosting this awesome community!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back