New Member Introductions thread
Jun 25, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #13,727 of 15,646
Hello everyone!!!
Old lurker - new member here ✌️
You would not be alone; the viewerbase vs registered users is a ‘big delta’; I know I had read exhaustively for the better part of a decade before some muppet spouting poop on a lot of top tier parts and writing damning reviews on great kit (they didn’t understand how to use) riled me up to create an account and ‘say something’ (they did things like run the digital out from their MAC at half volume, into DAC/amps they would then turn up to hissing, and then review top end headphones,.. whilst I was polite about pointing out how to fix their setup, that user had my posts removed…
Which then made me want to write counterpoint to what they were saying,.. which then got the ire of the ‘soundscience peepz’ (the inference that amplifiers altered sound quality and were not just for more volume’ (to be fair I didn’t recognise the Sansui AU919 I was using as a headamp was one of the planets best amps, and the vioelectic V100 was a ‘pretty special’ lil headphone amp (at the time) as well.
of course the engineer types believed that ‘by the spec sheet’ their entry level/budget amps were ‘all that’, and, ‘well’, my place in headfi was cemented. (apparently I am an antagonist, so I like to write ‘the uncommon opinion’ (often)..mostly just as ‘food for thought’ type posts or to ‘widen the blinkers’ for some..

The irony is my scientific method (and background featuring much tertiary psychology) and decades of playing with a massive array of equipment and setups puts me at a middle knowledge level -=at best=- for what these boards contain. (I LOVE this place!!)

Hello Head-Fi,

Listening to Music is my favorite past time!!

I listen to a variety of music, mainly Jazz, R&B and Hip Hop. Lately, I find myself listening on average 4-6 hours daily, sometimes upwards to 10 hours.

My focus now is critical listening…. Which brings me to this community.
which brings me to want to ask: any pressing stresses going on in life right now? (are you recessing under head-fi?) the notion of going to critical listening means I reckon you either have some new experience to enjoy, OR are just trying to shut the world out…

Welcome and ‘hello’
one of us/we all love ‘that experience’ here…

pull up a chair and ‘lets share’..
<grins>

Greetings all, and welcome to a GREAT potential time sink.
IF you can give it (time), Head-fi will take it all!!!

Jun 26, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #13,728 of 15,646
Hi, new member here!

My music prefference is mostly more experimental electronically music hinting towards techno (labels like stroboscopic artifacts and artists like Terrence Fixmer, Zeitgeber, Ugandan methods), aswel as classical minimalism and artist who combine classical music with electronic innovations like Nils Frahm and Olafur arnalds. But I can also really enjoy Symphony No 3 from composer Henryk Gorecki, especially the London Sinfonieta version.
For indoor headphone listening I use a blue sound node connected to a smsl-su9 dac and a schiit Jotunheim as my headphone amp. My indoor headphones are at the moment Audeze LCD-2C. For outdoor listening I own a pair of AIAIAI TMA-2 headphones with the H10 headband, S05 speaker units and the alcantara pads (I bought my TMA-2 in 2012 and I am really happy with the modular system and the improvements they have managed in the quality of their parts). I am planning to buy wired IEM in the near future for a max price of about 600 euro's.

Jun 26, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #13,729 of 15,646
Hi - great to become a member. I have been on the site for around a month and gained a lot of useful info & insights.

Kit wise - I am fortunate to have a decent selection:
- Stax 009s with the T8000 amp for home use
- focal stellia for out and about use with a dx320, inc amp 13
- waiting for a n8ii to decide which ‘mobile’ amp to use dx320 or n8
- also have the Stax d10, for when I feel like taking the 9s out on a trip
- no iem’s need to explore decent ones to if they work for me or not
- I need to up my cable selection as atm they are either stock that came with kit or basic items
- also need to experience ALL the other brands …

I look forward to the journey with info and insights from all you guys!

Thanks!

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #13,731 of 15,646
1. Cobalt, Cayin R6, Qudelix 5k, ifi Go Blu or Go Bar, Fiio BTR5
2. Topping D30/D50, ifi Zen DAC

Do you already have an amp? Or are you looking for a desktop DAC/amp combo?

Jun 27, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #13,733 of 15,646
Hi everyone,
would like to say hello. I'm retired and music lover, mostly Jazz and Classic Rock. Have put together equipment for headphone listening:
- Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital (dac for music from computer)
- Shanling EM5 (streamer/dac/headphone amp)
- FiiO M9 (dap)
- Headphones: Meze 99 Classics, Meze 99 Neo, Hifiman Edition XS and Sony WH-1000XM4
I hope you like it. I also have first question: Can you help me find EU based internet store for headphone cables (2.5 and 4.4 mm). Thank you.

Jun 27, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #13,734 of 15,646
Hi everyone,
would like to say hello. I'm retired and music lover, mostly Jazz and Classic Rock. Have put together equipment for headphone listening:
- Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital (dac for music from computer)
- Shanling EM5 (streamer/dac/headphone amp)
- FiiO M9 (dap)
- Headphones: Meze 99 Classics, Meze 99 Neo, Hifiman Edition XS and Sony WH-1000XM4
I hope you like it. I also have first question: Can you help me find EU based internet store for headphone cables (2.5 and 4.4 mm). Thank you.
Welcome! Try Forzaworks in Poland.

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #13,735 of 15,646
Hi Head-Fi,

Came across the site a few days ago while searching for sites other than eBay that sells audio equipment. Very new to all this, I like a variety of music but mostly metal and 90's pop punk.

Currently, I have Sony WH-1000XM3 and Fiio BTR5. I've been looking into setups for music and gaming. I was contemplating Audio Technica ATH-R70x and a Schiit Hel or a Schiit Magni 3 Heresy and Modi 3e stack but I am very tempted by the Sennheiser HD800s, Magnius and Modius stack.

Wondering if I should buy cheaper equipment first and upgrade over time or go straight for my wallets jugular haha!

Jun 27, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #13,736 of 15,646
Wondering if I should buy cheaper equipment first and upgrade over time or go straight for my wallets jugular haha!
I'd just buy the best you can afford right now, otherwise you'll want to upgrade very soon.

Jun 27, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #13,737 of 15,646
Hi Head-Fi,

Came across the site a few days ago while searching for sites other than eBay that sells audio equipment. Very new to all this, I like a variety of music but mostly metal and 90's pop punk.

Currently, I have Sony WH-1000XM3 and Fiio BTR5. I've been looking into setups for music and gaming. I was contemplating Audio Technica ATH-R70x and a Schiit Hel or a Schiit Magni 3 Heresy and Modi 3e stack but I am very tempted by the Sennheiser HD800s, Magnius and Modius stack.

The danger is if you go for the jugular you may not 'appreciate' what you have, without coming up through the ranks, if you know what I mean. Of course coming up takes a long time and a lot of spending, but that's the hobby.

Jun 28, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #13,738 of 15,646
How do all.
I'm a long time 'hifi' owner, user and tweaker/builder.
Now developing an interest in cans etc.
I've ATH-M70X, ATH-SR30BTGY and AKG-N20U to start with.
Can source is Android phone into a Fiio BTR3K or just plugged straight into the phone or Beresford (using Spotify via TV coax out).
I was hoping to use the Beresford Caiman SEG from my speaker setup as a headphone amp but for some reason it ain't seeing my phone on the USB in.
That would be my first question right there, why isn't it seeing my phone?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #13,739 of 15,646
The danger is if you go for the jugular you may not 'appreciate' what you have, without coming up through the ranks, if you know what I mean. Of course coming up takes a long time and a lot of spending, but that's the hobby.
I think this is exactly the case with the KSE1200, when people don't appreciate the high definition sound because they haven't had experience with the mid tier IEMs. In result of not experiencing how much tips can change an IEM, they don't take the time to find the correct tips that give the right seal and fit for their ears. In result of their inexperience, they miss out on the glorious electrostatic bass, which is the cleanest bass in the world.

Jun 28, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #13,740 of 15,646
I'd just buy the best you can afford right now, otherwise you'll want to upgrade very soon.
Thanks for your reply, it is very tempting to do just that!

Thanks for your reply. That is a very good point, I didn't think of that. I've certainly got some things to think about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back