New Member Introductions thread
Jun 15, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #13,697 of 15,644
Thanks for the tips. I hadn't considered getting studio monitors, but I think something like that would be pretty cool to use as PC speakers :) I already have the 650, so won't be returning them.

Yeah, studio monitors will accurately provide a near-field neutral sound and do not rely as heavily on acoustical settings, so give them a closer look. BTW, Hart Audio Cables has some B-stock HC-5 dual Senn connectors (HD650) in an 18" split for $23 and new 1/4" TRS 3' interconnect (will connect to the split) for $27 here:

https://hartaudiocables.com/collect...oducts/b-stock-standard-style-headphone-cable

https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/interconnects/products/ic-1-1-4-trs?variant=32619798134865

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #13,698 of 15,644
Yeah, studio monitors will accurately provide a near-field neutral sound and do not rely as heavily on acoustical settings, so give them a closer look. BTW, Hart Audio Cables has some B-stock HC-5 dual Senn connectors (HD650) in an 18" split for $23 and new 1/4" TRS 3' interconnect (will connect to the split) for $27 here:

https://hartaudiocables.com/collect...oducts/b-stock-standard-style-headphone-cable

https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/interconnects/products/ic-1-1-4-trs?variant=32619798134865

Thanks for this. I've always preferred the cloth braided cables to the rubber ones and these are reasonably priced.

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #13,700 of 15,644
Welcome to head-fi! Sorry for your wallet!

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #13,701 of 15,644
Hello, I'm Bob and am finally getting started here. For so many years, I thought headphones were something you bought in a Best Buy or similar store and that $350 would buy good ones. I thought I liked my $350 headphones - until I didn't. I tried many before buying those and then realized I had made a mistake. But I didn't know any better. Then my long time pal @Monsterzero changed my world - musically that is.

First he told me about DACs, headphone tube amps and the class of headphones one would use with those. He then told me about Canjam that was coming up in Los Angeles. Before attending, I purchased a used Mojo DAC Amp from him and brought it to Canjam. I used the Mojo to sample many headphones and fell in love with several including a few from ZMF. I also got to meet Zach @zach915m and his wife - great people. Everything from ZMF is amazing. There was an information overload that day. I needed some time to ponder the situation before pulling the trigger.

I also visited the booth of The Source AV Design Group, in Torrance, California. I visited their store a few weeks after Canjam. I spent a few hours sampling headphones. The salesperson and owner were quite helpful and patient with me. Then I asked the salesperson to let me try something he likes, that I had not tried yet. He brought out a Focal Clear for me to try. That became an immediate finalist and one of the ZMF models was the other. I liked them both a lot and knew I would be happy either way. The decision came down to I could walk out of the store with the Focal that day or wait a few months for the ZMF. I didn't want to wait any longer and the rest is history.

I have been quite happy with my Focal Clear headphones. I don't imagine I will go down the rabbit hole of tube amps and DACs. I'm afraid to sample any tube DACs or amps. I know if I did, I would want and don't have the money to go that deep, into this hobby - at least not for now.

By the way, I just upgraded to the new Mojo 2. The Mojo 2 is everything I liked in the original with some new features and enhancements in sound quality, in all aspects. For me portability is important. That is a another reason for going the Mojo route. I can easily listen to my music anywhere with that. So that's my story up to this point.

Bob

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #13,702 of 15,644
Hello, I'm Bob and am finally getting started here. For so many years, I thought headphones were something you bought in a Best Buy or similar store and that $350 would buy good ones. I thought I liked my $350 headphones - until I didn't. I tried many before buying those and then realized I had made a mistake. But I didn't know any better. Then my long time pal @Monsterzero changed my world - musically that is.

First he told me about DACs, headphone tube amps and the class of headphones one would use with those. He then told me about Canjam that was coming up in Los Angeles. Before attending, I purchased a used Mojo DAC Amp from him and brought it to Canjam. I used the Mojo to sample many headphones and fell in love with several including a few from ZMF. I also got to meet Zach @zach915 and his wife - great people. Everything from ZMF is amazing. There was an information overload that day. I needed some time to ponder the situation before pulling the trigger.

I also visited the booth of The Source AV Design Group, in Torrance, California. I visited their store a few weeks after Canjam. I spent a few hours sampling headphones. The salesperson and owner were quite helpful and patient with me. Then I asked the salesperson to let me try something he likes, that I had not tried yet. He brought out a Focal Clear for me to try. That became an immediate finalist and one of the ZMF models was the other. I liked them both a lot and knew I would be happy either way. The decision came down to I could walk out of the store with the Focal that day or wait a few months for the ZMF. I didn't want to wait any longer and the rest is history.

I have been quite happy with my Focal Clear headphones. I don't imagine I will go down the rabbit hole of tube amps and DACs. I'm afraid to sample any tube DACs or amps. I know if I did, I would want and don't have the money to go that deep, into this hobby - at least not for now.

By the way, I just upgraded to the new Mojo 2. The Mojo 2 is everything I liked in the original with some new features and enhancements in sound quality, in all aspects. For me portability is important. That is a another reason for going the Mojo route. I can easily listen to my music anywhere with that. So that's my story up to this point.

Bob
Welcome Bob! One thing I learned in this hobby is to go at your own pace!

Jun 17, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #13,703 of 15,644

First he told me about DACs, headphone tube amps and the class of headphones one would use with those. He then told me about Canjam that was coming up in Los Angeles. Before attending, I purchased a used Mojo DAC Amp from him and brought it to Canjam. I used the Mojo to sample many headphones and fell in love with several including a few from ZMF. I also got to meet Zach @zach915 and his wife - great people. Everything from ZMF is amazing. There was an information overload that day. I needed some time to ponder the situation before pulling the trigger.

Bob
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet. :wink:

Jun 17, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #13,704 of 15,644
Well, I got my Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3 in the mail and am listening to HD 650s. Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in the sound. The sound is great in some respects, but just falls flat because of the poor bass performance. Seems like I got better sound out of a $17 pair of earbuds and my LG phone. I've went into the sound settings and made sure that it's set to 24/196 to match the hardware specs on the website. I've tried different EQ settings or no EQ. It's just no dice whatever I try. All music is FLAC at a minimum and am using Musicbee. Well, at least everything is within the return window :triportsad: I'm open to any advice.

Jun 17, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #13,705 of 15,644
Well, I got my Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3 in the mail and am listening to HD 650s. Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in the sound. The sound is great in some respects, but just falls flat because of the poor bass performance. Seems like I got better sound out of a $17 pair of earbuds and my LG phone. I've went into the sound settings and made sure that it's set to 24/196 to match the hardware specs on the website. I've tried different EQ settings or no EQ. It's just no dice whatever I try. All music is FLAC at a minimum and am using Musicbee. Well, at least everything is within the return window :triportsad: I'm open to any advice.
So is the problem the headphones or the dac/amp? I assume you already had the headphones and you are familiar and happy with them? Then I recommend maybe getting a schiit Jotunheim 2 balanced amp and balanced cable too...also isnt the 650 maybe a bit flat? Why not upgrade, or even sidegrade to a hifiman edition XS...have you ever had planar open back before? And also, what are you looking for? reference sound? fun tuning? bass head, treble head, etc. do you like warm and musical or a more liquid, sweeter tone. etc...it gets to be a real rabbit hole....are you even willing to invest more money to get the sound your after? Just some random thoughts! :)

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #13,706 of 15,644
So is the problem the headphones or the dac/amp? I assume you already had the headphones and you are familiar and happy with them? Then I recommend maybe getting a schiit Jotunheim 2 balanced amp and balanced cable too...also isnt the 650 maybe a bit flat? Why not upgrade, or even sidegrade to a hifiman edition XS...have you ever had planar open back before? And also, what are you looking for? reference sound? fun tuning? bass head, treble head, etc. do you like warm and musical or a more liquid, sweeter tone. etc...it gets to be a real rabbit hole....are you even willing to invest more money to get the sound your after? Just some random thoughts! :)
These are great questions and I thank you for the response. All of this equipment is new and just bought. The only references that I've had was reading hundreds of comments on this site and also the youtube commenters. I'm not sure that an amp upgrade is required since it can get uncomfortable volume levels even on low gain. I just love music and want a nice full sound. You are right that the sound is just flat. It's beyond me how I hear others say it has great bass. As for what I'm looking for, I'd say a good example would be to bounce around the radio from the 80's through 00 and it should just sound great and be non-fatiguing. If there is a bass line, I should be able to feel it as well as hear even at lower volumes, but not overpowering.

These 650s make my ears ring. It's kind of like listening to a factory stereo with road noise going. It's not up close and intimate sounding. I just feel that it could sound better, but the only way to get anything out if it is to turn the volume up and hope for the best, but after a few minutes I'm already tired of listening and I figure I'll just wait until I get home and listen on my stereo. Lol it's not an exact representation, but it's pretty close for now :)

I'd definitely spend or change things out, but I'm kind of reluctant to without being able to test before buying.

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #13,707 of 15,644
The HD650s, though they do sound pretty good, are one of the few headphones that I sold, I just preferred my other headphones for some reason. I think you need to look into different headphones to enjoy your new electronics with, maybe something from Audeze.

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #13,708 of 15,644
These are great questions and I thank you for the response. All of this equipment is new and just bought. The only references that I've had was reading hundreds of comments on this site and also the youtube commenters. I'm not sure that an amp upgrade is required since it can get uncomfortable volume levels even on low gain. I just love music and want a nice full sound. You are right that the sound is just flat. It's beyond me how I hear others say it has great bass. As for what I'm looking for, I'd say a good example would be to bounce around the radio from the 80's through 00 and it should just sound great and be non-fatiguing. If there is a bass line, I should be able to feel it as well as hear even at lower volumes, but not overpowering.

These 650s make my ears ring. It's kind of like listening to a factory stereo with road noise going. It's not up close and intimate sounding. I just feel that it could sound better, but the only way to get anything out if it is to turn the volume up and hope for the best, but after a few minutes I'm already tired of listening and I figure I'll just wait until I get home and listen on my stereo. Lol it's not an exact representation, but it's pretty close for now :)

I'd definitely spend or change things out, but I'm kind of reluctant to without being able to test before buying.
Yeah, I bought the 650's after reading all the hype and I returned them like 3 days later, was so disappointed.

So anyway, at this point, what is your budget? Are you willing to spend $1,200 in a headphones? I have the lcd-x and I love them. Also Hifiman have their new r2r dac/amp the ef400 for $600 on Amazon...I had the Jot 2 amp and denefrips ares2 dac for the x which I only sold due to losing a job, but I immedietly got something better so I'm cool again! Planning on buying the jot2/aresii combo again in about a month...but that is about $1,200 right there, and that is a bargain!

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #13,709 of 15,644
The HD650s, though they do sound pretty good, are one of the few headphones that I sold, I just preferred my other headphones for some reason. I think you need to look into different headphones to enjoy your new electronics with, maybe something from Audeze.
Looks like there is a stereo dealer in town from Audeze's website. Not sure if they have displays for them, but I'll go check them out.

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #13,710 of 15,644
Yeah, I bought the 650's after reading all the hype and I returned them like 3 days later, was so disappointed.

So anyway, at this point, what is your budget? Are you willing to spend $1,200 in a headphones? I have the lcd-x and I love them. Also Hifiman have their new r2r dac/amp the ef400 for $600 on Amazon...I had the Jot 2 amp and denefrips ares2 dac for the x which I only sold due to losing a job, but I immedietly got something better so I'm cool again! Planning on buying the jot2/aresii combo again in about a month...but that is about $1,200 right there, and that is a bargain!
If they sounded like I want them to, I'd pay that much. I'm going to check out a place in town to see if they have any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back